confused with egg hatching. do i rotate them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flock Runner, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i know you can get some nice incubators that take care of the eggs for you but out of curiosity, is it true that a hen has to ratate the eggs every 2 hours? [​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Each time a hen shuffles, repositions herself, gets up for a quick drink or bite of food, she jostles and thus 'rotates' the eggs. She doesn't have a clock, but the eggs do get their share of rotation. If you have a broody setting on eggs, you don't need to rotate them. If you have an incubator without an egg turner, yes you will need to rotate them.

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Welcome to BYC

You can get egg turners to turn the eggs, it's not the incubator itself, rather an attachment.

Rotating the egg is essential to be sure the insides of the egg don't become stuck to which
    ever side of the egg that it is laying on. If this happens, it will become hard or impossible for
    the chick to hatch.

Though theres not a 'specific' amount of turns, nor is it timed, Hens rotate their eggs alot
    more often than we do when we hatch eggs in an incubator. If your hatching in an incubator,
    turning the eggs 3-6 times a day will be plenty. I prefer to turn an odd number of times daily
    so that the side that the egg is on through-out the night will change everyday.

Best of wishes

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    so I've heard everyone say the same thing... till i experimented for myself with my still air [​IMG] transparent hen. rotated 3 times for the entire incubation period, and had 100% hatch!!! was it a fluke? maybe... but i still turn them, just not as often as you might expect...

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] too. I have heard of successful hatches with never rotating but it's probably not the norm. I love my turners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by