Confused with this older bird

CoachAlangley

Songster
Jun 21, 2020
long yet interesting story..... What is it? Keeps changing rolls.....

I live in the country, so having roosters isn't a problem at my house.
I received a call from a friend that lives in the city limits , who had gotten hens. Everything was dandy, until he heard a crow.
Now in our town when neighbors hear a crow they will immediately call animal control to report that there is a rooster
in town.....
He called in a panic and asked if I would get the rooster before he gets a knock on his door. Of course I said yes. At this time I had 2 hens, one very old and the other just starting to drop an egg every-once in a while. I at this time was not collecting the eggs because there wasn't much to collect.

I added the chicken and I heard it crow every so often. They were in a large area of the yard that was fenced in. I didn't have a coop and they loved to sleep in the trees. Time went on, and I went out to water and I noticed at least 2 doz eggs under a bush, and this totally confused me..... but not knowing how long they had been there, I just left them to get later. I went back a week later and the number of eggs doubled. One chicken was not laying this many eggs ..... So I looked up to see if hens crow and found that maybe she is a chicken after all.

I then went and got a rooster. The rooster and the "chicken" would crow a little back and forth, then the chicken stopped crowing and the eggs continued showing up all over. So now I believe its not a rooster.

My bird count has grown, and this bird was like the queen of the pen. Nice big white eggs which I'm pretty sure was coming from her. She buddied up with another bird that looks very much like her. Then the next thing I know, again she starts crowing, then she started doing the rooster dancing... then I saw her jumping on the back of her new buddy.... so I'm confused. She is crowing with the other roosters, and the big white eggs are no longer being layed.... here is her photo (or his photo)

IMG_0663.JPG

Looks like a rooster, what color eggs are your hens supposed to lay? It could be a betta rooster, ill quote the text from how to speak chicken, " How does a rooster that's low on the totem pole court hens without the alpha male noticing? In a flock with an alpha male and a number of secondary rooster, the beta roosters have been shown to use a surprisingly clever strategy: Thirty percent of the time, beta males tidbit silently, showing off for hens out of sight of the dominent rooster and without drawing his attention by vocalizing. While tidbitting silently, the inferior males monitor the alpha male's location and keep an eye on his interactions with the flock. They are equally successful at enticing females to mate with them, despite the lack of 'chicken speak'" you may have a similar situation.

Back
Top Bottom