Confused

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ela3perk, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Ela3perk

Ela3perk New Egg

Aug 2, 2016
    So, I woke up this morning to a huge hole in my coop door! But much to my surprise the rooster, 6 hens and 2 baby chicks are accounted for. Any idea what would have caused this much damage but not get the chickens?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Pictures?
    No idea. I had raccoons chew a hole in a coop door recently but they killed all the birds in the building.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    How terrific that nobody died! Your predator might have been scared off by something, but will be back. Time to seriously reinforce everything, and set those live traps. Good luck! Mary

4. Ela3perk

Ela3perk New Egg

Aug 2, 2016
    Here are some pics[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Bear?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That's my thought, too. A coyote or coon can chew through that kind of wood, but they only make a hole as big as they need to gain entry. And they work at it in bits and pieces. A bear could easily hook a paw under the bottom of the door and pull the corner off, accounting for only one big chunk.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Where do you live? Could it be a bear? Seems like you'd see claw marks, etc. It almost looks chewed. How about a dog? What predators do you have in your area?

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My coop walls are at least two layers; that particle board is too easy to rip or chew. The doors here are much sturdier too. Bears could do it here, but not much else. If bears are a problem, add electric. Mary

9. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    A big dog tore thru my daughter's coop door.

10. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    A big dog could break osb board like that, especially if it's old and wet.
    My clean out and chicken door was originally osb board but I swapped them out for 3/4" plywood.
    I was able to get my fingers under the door and pry it 2" without much resistance.

Around here, osb is about 1/4 the price of plywood so if you're determined to still use osb, add another latch.
    In your image, you have one central latch. Add another latch 1-2' off the ground. Might help to stop the bottom of the door from being opened so easily.

Another thing you could try is to trim out the door with some 2x4 (2x3 would work too), on the sides and top, leaving 1/4" clearance for the door.
    I do this personally, not for prying fingers, but to stop the rain from running down behind the door. If an animal can't get behind the door, they can't pry it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by