confused..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TC, Apr 20, 2009.

1. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    I have a pygmy thats a FF.. I have NO idea when she was bred, as we suppposedly bought her bred to kid at any time and that was Jan 14th ish or so..

she has just started to get the tinest udder that is obviously fuller than normal (she was FLAT empty), and lays down more than usual etc. yesterday she decided drinking wasn't her thing and she got real hot and we had to hose her down (panting hot) This morning we noticed some discharge that has caked her hind quarters and she is oozing a bit.. Could she be in labor? she didn't want to even eat her grain this morning..

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

COULD be!!! Keep your fingers crossed! WOO HOO!

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't have a goat but,

If she isn't drinking, I would be very concerned!

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    She might be going into labor...but I've never had one get real messy until they're actually kidding. Check her hydration (same way as you would a dog). I might give her some electrolyte gel if she were here and offer some water with a touch of molasses in it to encourage her to drink. I've had a couple does go off feed the day they kid, but never stop drinking.

Also check her ligaments. You'll find info on doing this on several websites. Take her temp to check for fever.

5. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    she may be in labor sounds like it o me, i have had pygmys for about 6 years and have watched births and assisted in them also. You need to make sure that this doesnt drag on for a long period of time, she could be having trouble gettin it out also, if her milk bag isnt full you need to go buy some milk replacer right away! you will have to take on the feeding responsiblities for her! but still leave it with her she needs to bond with it, she will protect it and keep it safe and warm, all you will need to do is feed it. She migjt also need some help gettin the little bugger cleaned off, if so clean its nose and face first....please keep us posted!!!!

6. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    Thanks everyone! I have a pygmy friend coming over in an hour or two to come look at her.. I will let you know!

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have nothing to add, I'm glad you have your pygmy friend coming over.

Please keep us updated.

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:You should not disrespect your friend by calling them a pygmy friend. [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL just kidding. Keep your fingers crossed that she is gonna have those babies soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by