Confusion on deworming

Kxj4764

In the Brooder
May 22, 2020
Dallas, Tx
Caution new chicken owner!! Lol.

I've got these 6 pullets about 7 or 8 weeks ago . They're around 6.5 months old now. 3 have just started laying last week. I took one to the vet because her chirping/clucking was raspy like she was losing her voice, and she seemed skinny.

Vet said she had a respiratory issue going on and she tested positive for strongyle worms (roundworms?)...I've been doing alotttt of reading because I didn't want to ask redundant questions in here. I gave them all tylan like the vet perscribed in their water for 10 days. The vet advised fenbendazole for deworming and also advised that I deworm all of them. Now about 12 days later all of my girls are looking skinny, and my ameracauna seems to not being growing very much, she also shakes her head alot . Symptoms of worms? Well the dewormer finally came in the mail and i put 3 ml in 1 gallon of water. I was wondering if it is okay for the chicken to have their first deworming on fenbendazole? I read somewhere that wazine should be done as their first dewormer...also one of my girls who always has very healthy looking poop produced some runny, diarrhea looking poop this afternoon. I put the dewormer in their water this morning. Just wondering if I did something wrong? Or if this is normal. Im really doing my very best with these chickens and hoping I didn't hurt them with the dewormer. Also these chickens came from a farmer I found on Craigslist, they were delivered so I didn't see where they were living before they came to my house.

Thanks in advance!!

6 pullets about 7 or 8 weeks ago . They're around 6.5 months old
took one to the vet because her chirping/clucking was raspy like she was losing her voice, and she seemed skinny
Vet said she had a respiratory issue going on and she tested positive for strongyle worms (roundworms?)
gave them all tylan like the vet perscribed in their water for 10 days. The vet advised fenbendazole for deworming and also advised that I deworm all of them. Now about 12 days later all of my girls are looking skinny, and my ameracauna seems to not being growing very much, she also shakes her head alot . Symptoms of worms?
Well the dewormer finally came in the mail and i put 3 ml in 1 gallon of water. I was wondering if it is okay for the chicken to have their first deworming on fenbendazole?
Can you post some photos of the product you got in the mail?
Did the vet prescribe the wormer to go in the water or is that a dosage you found online?
Photos of the birds?

You likely found some old information about the Wazine. It is no longer on the market - no need for a "first wormer" when using Fenbendazole.

If they were mine, I would dose each bird directly - 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

What are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom