theorganicchick

Chirping
Jan 10, 2023
Hill Country Texas
I caught and isolated two hens from our flock this morning as both are coughing and one has mucus coming out of her nose. I had noticed my Wyandotte making snuffle noises but didn’t know if it was allergies or dust. Both still have reddish combs, although one is rather dry looking. Both are eating and drinking, but the Wyandotte has some diarrhea.
The olive egger is the one with the runny nose, she also has a cough but not as bad as the Wyandotte.
Our vet is backed up until Friday morning when he could possibly see them/test for disease or virus.
Any thoughts on what this could be?

Attachments

• AC504158-24F7-4E78-AD6A-DD15AC4786CF.jpeg
    AC504158-24F7-4E78-AD6A-DD15AC4786CF.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2921F222-0702-4DEE-B67B-CDEDB2543B4A.jpeg
    2921F222-0702-4DEE-B67B-CDEDB2543B4A.jpeg
    643.6 KB · Views: 9
Have you added any new birds to the flock recently? It looks like they may be dealing with a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis or MG. IB is a virus, while MG is mycoplasma similar to a bacteria. MG may also cause conjunctivitis and bubbles in an eye. It may respond to antibiotics, such as Tylosin or Tylan 50 injectable given orally. IB virus lasts about a month, and most grown chickens recover. If your coop air ventilation is good, and keep the coop bedding fresh and dry. Ammonia odor can irritate the eyes and respiratory system.

Have you added any new birds to the flock recently? It looks like they may be dealing with a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis or MG. IB is a virus, while MG is mycoplasma similar to a bacteria. MG may also cause conjunctivitis and bubbles in an eye. It may respond to antibiotics, such as Tylosin or Tylan 50 injectable given orally. IB virus lasts about a month, and most grown chickens recover. If your coop air ventilation is good, and keep the coop bedding fresh and dry. Ammonia odor can irritate the eyes and respiratory system.
I have not added any new birds. I am also thinking it might be IB since I haven’t seen any eye bubbling yet.
Coop is dry and we clean the bedding every day (sand bedding, non toxic sand with Sweet PDZ mixed in). Like a big kitty litter box

Back
Top Bottom