Congrats PeepsCA

perchie.girl :

Oh Peeps congratulations late..... I am so happy for you.....
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Thanks deb! Was a big surprise to me, totally unexpected. I had no idea anyone had even nominated/voted for me, lol. I just happened to see the BYC Educator award graphic under my name and avatar over on the left
ep.gif
(it took me a couple days to even see it lol). I was speechless at first (and I think I blushed lol) but wow, what an honor!
celebrate.gif

Thanks again to everybody for all the congratulations and positive things you've posted about me! And Thanks to whoever nominated/voted for me !!!
hugs.gif
bow.gif
hugs.gif

You do well helping others round here
smile.png
I come by sporadically, but I can see how much you help!

My guineas were plenty fat- I think it's from the Purina Flock Raiser. I like them fat, for the last round I even gave them a little sunflower for a few days before slaughter (it also got cold), but it also means their weights were more fat, less meat. Overall I'm really happy because the meat is sooo good, but I wouldn't mind another half kilo from each bird!

Regardless, I think cooking them slowly is key.

This afternoon I got my camera out and got some nice pictures of the 14 remaining birds and hung out to watch them. They are such funny birds, and mine are so relaxed. When they hit the lawn they go nuts and run around, but when they are in the forest they just settle in and eat, look around, preen, warily approach the bowl I moved to their area and then retreat hastily...

From my experience, I'd recommend the Jumbos to folks in order to get a bird that will roam less (with careful training!). It's likely that if I kept them longer or let them out for the whole day that they'd be off, but I'm always happily surprised at how happy they are with a less than 20x20 patch of woods. If they get on the grass they'll wander, and I can't take them to the side yard because they insist on check out the neighbor's yard, but the woods give them lots of joy.

Why am I not surprised? Because this an award hard earned & well deserved! Invaluable
wink.png

Keep up the wonderful work PeepsCa
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks rollyard!!
hugs.gif

Now... if I could just borrow half of your grey matter (I'm not greedy, lol) and transfuse all your knowledge of genetics into my head!
bow.gif

Last edited:
Tell you what PeepsCA (released shift button too early for the Ca bit), you can have 4/4 of my brain, but personally, think you you do so much much better without it
thumbsup.gif

I have total faith in you
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
smile.png

Absolutely agree 110% with how amazing PeepsCA is - I don't stop by as often as I should, but everytime I have a problem or need to know something, I come straight here!

Many congrats on your award Peeps, you so deserve it!!!
jumpy.gif

Thanks... the hatching got a little out of control for me this past season, but I was hatching such beautiful keets, and my Hens kept laying for me, I just couldn't stop setting eggs, lol.

I wish I had a cabinet style incubator to boast about, but I don't... yet. I have 2 Hovabator 1588s (my favs), a circulated air Fall Harvest brand incubator from eggcartons.com and on occasion I had to use an LG with a PC fan I added to it (the LG's temps fluctuated way too much, I didn't trust it, but had to use it to keep up with my Hens' egg production). All the incubators have auto egg turners, but most of the time they had double loads in them and I was hand turning the top layer of eggs anyway
roll.png
. I also used another LG with a PC fan I added to it for my designated hatcher, and it did ok for that purpose.

I'm not going to be getting that crazy this coming hatching season... I love the hatching part, but the brooding and cleaning brooders wore me out, blah!

I'm not at all surprised either, PeepsCA!
jumpy.gif
I told you you'd be an asset to any message board that you posted on. Thank you for passing along your experiences and advice in such a kind, compassionate, and intelligent way. We all benefit from your posts, whether new at raising guineas or seasoned keepers. Congratulations on your award!

Back
Top Bottom