Congratulations, Sacramento!

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
This week, the city of Sacramento passed an ordinance allowing 3 laying hens in the yards of single-family dwellings, as long as the coops are more than 20 feet from any residence. There will be an annual fee for the city permit, but it's a step in the right direction for Sacramentans (I was one for 25 years, so I'm happy to hear this news).

Congratulations, again, Sacramento!
yippiechickie.gif

$45/year for permitting fees on 3 hens.

I guess Sac is hard up for cash. I hope they see the error of their ways as well as see how impossibly hard this will be to enforce.

I was pretty excited for my Sac neighbors until I read through the official ordinance. The cost, plus the completely OCD requirements seem to be encouraging people to keep chickens illegally.
My faves:

"All hen chicken manure, feces, feathers, skins, and related detritus shall be
removed and disposed of in a sanitary manner within 24 hours of occurrence.
Pending disposal, the materials shall be stored in air-tight containers"

and

"The interior of all chicken enclosures shall include nest boxes of 3-5
square feet per hen chicken"

Quote:
Where did you find that information? i'm just finding the basic info on cost to keep them per year. i was just curious. i'm in the unincorporated area of Sacramento County and have enough land to keep as many chickens as i want. i sure hope they don't decide to start charging us to keep chickens!

Quote:
Look on page 12.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/63665160/Chicken-Ordinance

If you look at fees and enforcement, those numbers seems just silly. 550 estimated calls, each talking 1 hour for chickens compliance issues? That is about 2 calls a day, for chickens?

What are they going to do? Spend $20,000 on a billboard with 1-800-CHICKEN for chicken compliance issues?

Silly.

I am so glad I don't live in Sac.

i'm glad i'm in the county. You can't really feed your family with only 3 chickens. And then the ordinance doesn't allow a chicken enclosure larger than 42 square feet, which isn't very big. My smallest pen is 50 sf, and i only have two little Showgirls in that one.It just seems like they have regulated the crud out of chicken-keeping.

West Sacramento has allowed chickens for a while. You can have up to five hens, and they don't have any set-back requirements. You also don't have to pay an annual permit, license fee per chicken, or tag them.

It does seem like Sacramento City is trying to make this a money-making endeavor.

While Im glad the OK finally was givin, the regulations and rules are STUPID! Did you see where they expect you to BAND the chickens? Really? How dumb. And the guy who thinks they smell and the 'concerns' about avian influenza? Ridiculous.

I cant help but think this is a 'token' acceptance to make Sac look appealing to a more diverse group of people, since real estate is bad there too.

To ok something and then put so many rules and unenforceable regulations on it is preposterous! Like a previous poster said, how are they gonna enforce any of these laws?

The fee's alone are beyond acceptable! It costs less to license a DOG, and a dog can cause more damage and noise than any 3 chickens ever could. And I wonder WHO gets the fee's, who benefits from them, and where they go and who is accountable for them.

On one hand, I am sooo glad to see this happening- forward movement is far better than no movement. On the other hand, why ok something and then put so many perameters around it, that it becomes nearly impossible to be compliant with the law?

City politics....
idunno.gif

Congrats to those now allowed to have chickens in the City
smile.png
I am in county and under 10,000 sq ft just got a notice to get rid of ours. The kids are sad to see them go
sad.png
If anyone knows of people making effort to make it easier to keep chickens in Sacramento County Please let me know. I'd like to help.

Back
Top Bottom