Congregating Around Hen's Brooding Coop

Onyx961

Chirping
Mar 15, 2018
I have a broody hen sitting on eggs due to hatch in less than a week. She is in a separate coop that shares a wall with the main coop so she can still see/hear the rest of the chickens and vice versa. My chickens all free range 10 acres, except when the girls are brooding eggs (by their chooce, not mine). In the last couple of days, several of the non-broody hens and a rooster are hanging out and just sitting outside the brooding coop most of the day. I have had many hens brood eggs and never seen this behavior. They aren't bothering the broody hen just puzzling to me. Anyone know why they are doing this?

She shouldn't be high in the pecking order as she is only 13 months old.... she is a pure breed, one of only a few I have here, but I doubt the other chickens know that (LOL). I think she is one of the prettiest but certainly not the one with the most personality.... I am totally confused by it. Like I said, not a problem, I was just curious...😏

That's another thing... I seldom have such a young hen go broody and stay committed to brood after going into the brooder coop... I usually break them of being broody when I get them in the brooder coop. She's a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and have been told by friends that have them that they are great brooder hens and great mothers to the chicks. I got her from one of my friends who told me that.

My two SLW hatched in 2015 are both high ranking, very committed broodies and devoted mothers that take meticulous care of their chicks for about 8-10 weeks. Very trustworthy as they even jump into the air with a vicious shriek and outstreched claws to fend off any sparrowhawk or crows.

Wow! That's encouraging to hear. I hope my girl is that good. My best moms have mostly been mixed breeds... but I did used to have a Turkish naked neck that was a good mom... I lost her last year, she was 7 years old! Brooded a clutch an died only a week or so after she cut them loose at 7 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom