Connecticut!

We lost an Araucana a few evenings ago. She wasn't even a year old yet. Seems to us she was egg bound but she was moving around the night before and didn't show signs of distress. Our Australorp is recovering from bumblefoot surgery and she looks pale and sleepy. I hope that she makes it. She is in her cage so our rooster and other girls dont bother her. Raising chickens can be a mystery.

So sorry for your loss. I am also dealing with the recent loss of a chick so I know how you feel. Hoping the rest of your flock is fairing well in this snow and still bringing a smile to your face.

It really is genetics sometimes. The first batch of chicks I got, 3 out of 4 died from infections the first year in spite of being treated by a vet. They were lovely birds but with no immune system. The vet thought it was definitely a genetic problem. 

That's the one negative that comes from getting chicks either through a hatchery or from a breeder,you don't really know the lineage of the birds it could have a genetic flaw that you couldn't possibly know about,but I guess that's the chance you take when you raise chickens.

A question for all of you with turkeys/peafowl, especially those who run them with or near chickens...is blackhead a concern in Connecticut? (Our cooler climate allows us to escape some diseases and parasites, such as canine heartworm, which is essentially unheard of this far north, I have recently read. Random, I know.) Anyone ever dealt with blackhead up here?
Yes blackhead is a problem in CT cause I know a lot of people who keep there turkeys separate from chickens and have them raised in a cage without touching the ground.

I have three wheaten/blue wheaten week-old chicks that I'm offering for sale if anyone is interested. $5 each. They'd be suitable for a backyard flock. They just have slight chipmunk markings on their down, but when they feather out they'll look like all the other other wheaten/blue wheaten chicks I have. PM me if interested.

They're blue egg layers, right? Where in CT are you located?

Did you bring her in? Maybe give her some electrolytes or a drop or two of Poly-vi-sol without Iron and keep her warm.

Does she have any signs of injury?

Anyone in CT interested in a quad of Porcelain Silkies from CJ Silkies lines? I'm picking up a trio of silkies from a someone in NY on my way to CT this Sunday. They are very nice looking birds, will show AOV. If you are interested please PM me. I have no problem delivering them or meeting anyone who is interested. I will be in CT from Sunday to Tuesday or Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom