Connecticut!

My Corky has bumble foot. Arg!
th.gif
It's so frustrating. They have a smooth clean roost, soft bedding, I keep everything VERY CLEAN. It drives me crazy. I want a real answer- What causes it?

I had a girl with it a few years ago and we did the surgery route and it didn't go well. Has any one had success with non invasive treatments?

Quote:
My Corky has bumble foot. Arg!
th.gif
It's so frustrating. They have a smooth clean roost, soft bedding, I keep everything VERY CLEAN. It drives me crazy. I want a real answer- What causes it?

I had a girl with it a few years ago and we did the surgery route and it didn't go well. Has any one had success with non invasive treatments?
Oh I am so sorry to hear you have a bumblefoot problem.
hmm.png

You will probably find better answers in the "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" forum (https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures), but I did find that Wikipedia has some good answers... read the full Wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumblefoot_(infection) it also has some suggestions on how to treat various degrees of the problem.

I also like the chicken-chick - she has a whole page on her blog about bumblefoot:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Oh I am so sorry to hear you have a bumblefoot problem.
hmm.png

You will probably find better answers in the "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" forum (https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures), but I did find that Wikipedia has some good answers... read the full Wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumblefoot_(infection) it also has some suggestions on how to treat various degrees of the problem.

I also like the chicken-chick - she has a whole page on her blog about bumblefoot:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif
I have not had to do surgery. There are a few alternatives.

One is to use Epsom salt compresses followed with triple antibiotic ointment. Three times a day for the first few days, then twice a day till it's gone.

Haunted55 found a way to use clear iodine after soaking the foot. With that method, once you put the iodine on the swollen spot, you let it be for several days till a dark scab forms, then soak again very well, and see if the scab can be pulled off. If not, another dab of clear iodine, wait again, try again. Eventually the scab will pull off, with the thickened pus. Retreatment may be necessary if it is an advanced case.

Here are her words:

On July 1st, I found one of my Pekin ducks with what I would consider a bad case of Bumblefoot. Both feet were involved and I'm ashamed to say, the only way I found it was she was limping. One foot had 7 and the other had 3. I was able to grab her and bring her into the house and put her into a warm bath to clean and soak. Two water changes later and softened feet, all I had time to do was paint the bumbles with colorless iodine, grabbed the wrong stuff, and put her into a dog crate in my house until I could get everything ready to operate and get them gone. Did I mention the thought of this scared me half to death?

Sad to say it took 6 days before i was able to get everything together and someone to help out with the 'cure'. The following pictures are what we found after the bath we gave before the planned surgery to remove these things.

As can be seen, there really wasn't much to operate on, even though I was prepared to do just that. No matter how much squeezing or prodding or soaking, there just wasn't anything more to come out, it was all on the scabs that were covering the sores. The swelling was down from the 'marbles' I saw when I first found them. I poured betadine over the ones I had opened and painted the ones that I hadn't again with the iodine and put her back into her crate with clean bedding.

the next pictures are of the same Pekin and anothe duck, Dottie the Mallard, who was also found limping.

As can be seen in the first two pictures, the bumbles have been dramatically reduced on the Pekin with just the iodine application and the smaller ones totally gone. The last four pictures are of the Mallard who is still under going the iodine applications.

As can be seen, this is how the left and right foot look tonight on the Pekin duck. The heels being the worst are still showing infection and need for more treatment. tomorrow, I will again give a bath and pull/cut out the scabbing and treat with straight iodine this time. These spots are now flat or as flat as they should be considering the part of the foot they are on. I will still touch up the places that had the spots before as well.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I'll be making a move to CT tomorrow. Originally from CT from moved to upstate NY about 5-6 years ago. We've been raising chickens and ducks for the last three years. However with this move I had to give up a majority of my flocks and only have a small flock of silkies and sizzles left that are currently in the care of a good friend up here until I can find housing for them someplace close to us in CT. They are not allowed in the lake community we are moving to. :-( I've had a couple of people reach out to me after I placed an ad online, stating they would be happy to help me. I'd like to get to know these folks first though and see their land/property, see how far they are from me and what other birds they raise of course ;-). I've invested a lot of time and money in these last few birds and I'm not ready to just give them up because I can't have them where I'll be living. If anyone has any advice and can help me or knows of anyone who might be able to help me out with this if really appreciate it! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your support. Of course, I've been over to the emergency threads and read allot, but You guys are my peeps so I naturally come here.

I have her quarantined and I've changed out all the bedding in the coop and run per my vet's instructions just to make sure the others don't pick up the bacteria that is at the root of it. I've started her on the topical Silver Sulfadiazine he recommended and we'll see how that does.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom