Connecticut!

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I've checked out the site before (very useful!) but haven't felt the need to create an account and post something until now.

I went to Hubbard Park in Meriden yesterday. I haven't been there in years. I expected to see a couple of ducks, maybe a goose- but there were TONS of dumped ducks and geese. They were all at least slightly friendly, and some of them were obviously hurt. Because they were all formerly pets, it would be easy for me or anyone else to grab them- they're allow you to get very close. The problem is I don't know what I would do with them after that. I can't adopt them myself, since I already have a lot of pets, and I can't keep them on my property because they might spread disease to the ducks that I already own. There's a waterfowl rescue in Lebanon that I was going to contact, but their website says they cannot take any more birds right now.
sad.png
Then I thought of animal control, but Meriden animal control doesn't even take cats- all they do is dogs.
sad.png

Can anyone help or point me to someone that can? If anyone here wants to rescue some birds and is able to quarantine...

Here is a long list of *most* of the domestic birds. I noticed at least one other white duck as I was driving away (it was in another part of the park than where I had been walking around).

Group 1: 1 female black swede, 1 male pekin, 1 male blue runner, another pekin, another (probably male) swede. The female of this group was very sweet. When I fed her some leaves, she got very excited and made lots of noise. The back of her neck is showing since the males have pulled her feathers out (she seems very bonded to them despite this). They like corn.

Group 2: A pair of pekin ducks that were eating floating trash in the water. One has a bright orange bill, the other has a pale pink bill.

Group 3: 2 chocolate-colored toulouse-like geese, and 2 white crossed-breeds with gray patches on their heads. These geese are beautiful and seemed by far the healthiest. Their feathers were in great condition and they were actively eating grass. They let you get fairly close, then one of them will hiss and lead the others away. Still, not too aggressive, especially considering the time of year.

Group 4: 2 tiny (probably male) ducks that look like a cross between a mallard and Call or East Indies. One has a bib and one does not. They will definitely be the hardest for anyone to catch, because they are very nervous and fly well. They hung around Group 1 at first, then flew and landed near Group 5. They may be their own group, or belong to either 1 or 5, or maybe these were all one flock at some point.

Group 5: 2 Pilgrim geese, 1 male, 1 female. Such a shame to see a nice pair of an endangered breed just dumped at a park with no one to care for them. They were on an island far from where people were, but they were looking around curiously, so I can't say if they are friendly or cautious.

Lone Birds:

1 beautiful buff(?) old muscovy drake. His feathers on one wing are twisted at an odd angle- I am not sure if this is just a feather problem or a wing injury. He is fairly approachable and makes funny noises at people. Also he seemed to be walking odd, but since I've never seen muscovies walking around (only at poultry shows) I can't say if this is their natural waddle or a limp.

1 unhealthy toulouse goose with an injured watery (closed) eye, a wing problem (just like the muscovy) and a limp. This is the one I'm most worried about. She (?) is very sweet and loves being talked to. I could actually pet her, but then she got up and walked away. She made a little honking noise when she found a pile of bread, nibbled some and spit most of it out. She seems very disappointed- the grass at this park is incredibly short, not much for her to eat. She was lethargic and messy looking, just lying there until I went and talked to her. Then she went swimming and tried to wash off. She went to flap and spread her wings but stopped halfway through, so I know she's in pain.

1 buff orpington (?) cross drake, who actually does not like being talked to! he was sleeping and I got real close to him (he would be very easy for someone to catch) and started talking to him. He got up, bobbed his head angrily while making raspy quacks and layed back down! He was next to a mallard type bird, which did not pick its head up. I don't know if this was a domestic, wild bird or hybrid since I didn't get a good look at it. These two birds were away from everyone else, so they may be bonded, I don't know.
---

Thanks for reading. All together, that's more than 17 dumped birds. I'm a new member, so I don't think I can post pictures yet but I do have them. I have pictures of every bird I mentioned here, so please ask if there's anyone in particular you want to see. I will post them when I can.

I feel so bad for these birds- I had no idea there were so many! The worst part is today and tomorrow are the daffodil festival. That means tons of people, carnival rides, etc. That means ducks and geese getting chased around by kids, barked at by dogs, hit with rocks that people throw... ugh. Please let me know if anyone can help them in any way.

Thanks for this detailed report.

I am also limited in my ability to take on rescues.

What we need is individuals who can take them in, perhaps someone to work with the local authorities to allow someone to feed them actual food, not bread scraps. And get the word out for adoptions.

I will put a link to this post over on the duck forum, and the goose forum.

Hey all. just wondering if anyone knew of any place within CT, RI, or MA that currently has silkie chicks for sale? Thank you
http://www.cameronfamilyfarm.com/

They had silkie chicks and eggs for sale last year, as well as many other breeds. I haven't done business with them, so I can't say what they're like.

---

Here is the flock of ducks I described above as Group 1.

You don't get a good view of the male black swede, but he is there in the first couple pics, play-fighting with the rest. It looks like they're having a group hug.

cameron family farm only has 6 month old silkies along with a few other breeds. No baby chicks yet

Oh, sorry. Maybe you could check craigslist? There are also almost always silkie eggs for sale here on BYC, at least from what I've seen. There may be chicks as well. I don't know if you've looked there or not.
---
Ok, here are the ducks that I called Group 2.

Here they are eating trash. I tried to scare them away from there.

The one on the right has a bill that is very pale, a pink color. Does that mean anything or is it genetic?
I feel like this is a male/female bonded pair, since the one with the pink bill is smaller, but I'm not sure.

I will continue to post pics, don't worry. I am just trying not to double-post. I don't want to break any rules!

Oh, sorry. Maybe you could check craigslist? There are also almost always silkie eggs for sale here on BYC, at least from what I've seen. There may be chicks as well. I don't know if you've looked there or not.
---
Well I did check Craig's List but couldn't find much. Mostly grown birds. We're looking for chicks. Actually found a local place that is supposed to have chicks Tuesday so we are going to go there. They are supposed to hold 10 for us. Figured 10 because they are straight run and figured we'd end up with a male or three. So funny story. I'm talking with my wife and I ask her if we ended up with a male or two, would you consider keeping one or two? And she said yes and then the talk turned to well then we may have fertile hens which then led to well maybe we could get an incubator and maybe hatch our own eggs and maybe sell some silkie chicks. So now I need to research hatching fertile eggs!!
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom