Connecticut!

It's really best to have more then one female with a rooster. They can be tough on a hen. In general they say at least 3 to a flock. That way if you lose one you still have 2 that are together.

Hi! Was wondering if the people in Newtown have a way to connect about their chickens. I'm new and in need of help! We've lost two of our eight to predators already and I have one right now with a swollen eye lid and I'm at a loss of what to do. Would love some neighbor-to-neighbor advice and help!
So sorry. I'm in Sandy Hook, how is the remainder of your flock doing?

My 1st flock ('13) were free range and would go in the coop on their own at night but we lost several to Hawks and then someone forgot to close the coop one night late last August and a fox took the remaining 3.

Last spring I got 6 chicks from Benedict's in Monroe and 8 from My Pet Chicken. Some disease took most of them as young chicks and then when I put the remaining 5 in the coop, something (Racoon?) got in and beheaded them, stashing the bodies behind the nesting boxes. That was awful.

This year's flock (I decided to never mix chick sources again so all are from My Pet Chicken) is in a chicken tractor during the day and makeshift pen in the garage at night (I wait till after dark when they are roosting in the tractor and then transfer them). I bought 15 chicks thinking I'd lose some but all are doing well so far (14 weeks this coming Monday). We need to fix the coop before I'm comfortable putting them in there at night.

Last edited:
Help Keep Benny Home! Bristol CT is thinking of implementing a Rooster Ban in Bristol, any Bristol chicken owners or anyone interested in helping us, please email me, thank you!

Help Keep Benny Home! Bristol CT is thinking of implementing a Rooster Ban in Bristol, any Bristol chicken owners or anyone interested in helping us, please email me, thank you!

You should start a thread in the Chicken laws and ordinances section to get ideas. Hope you and others get to keep your roos.

Last edited:
Also does anyone have any suggestions on a good incubator
I just purchased a Brinsea Octagon with the automatic egg turner cradle through Amazon. It's fully automatic and despite having no knowledge about incubators or hatching eggs, we have managed to hatch a couple of bobwhite quail chicks in it just by putting some eggs in there. It's holds a variety of egg sizes and is a compact table-top size. I think the Brinsea models are pretty popular for hobby breeders. If you want to go big time, you probably need to look at the larger cabinet incubators.

Back
Top Bottom