Connecticut!

I use colored flood lights in the coop to produce heat. I have had my hens since they were a week old and they have always had a light on them - they don't know what it is like to sleep or live in the dark. hehe

I use colored flood lights in the coop to produce heat.  I have had my hens since they were a week old and they have always had a light on them - they don't know what it is like to sleep or live in the dark. hehe

That is not good because you will lower there tolerance and resistance to the cold also if there layers you will burn them out quicker.

Glad to hear that everyones chickens seem to be holding up pretty well in the cold. Ours are doing well- I was a little concerned one night, but when I went to close them in the coop, they weren't even huddled together, so I closed the doors, and hoped for the best.

Two have a tiny bit of black on the tips of their combs- is there anything I can do, or just keep an eye on it?

Our Ameraucana hadn't laid for the last 4 months, and we got an egg from her yesterday and today! Yay!
wee.gif

That is frostbite it will turn white then fall off
I would put neo on that and bag balm healthy red comb with bag balm keep it moist until nighttime temps are above freezing

Well aleast there getting alittle break today,they are all out and just gave them there pm snacks 35 deg is easier to take than -9 but I heard were going back down by Tuesday.I've already had enough of this winter and still a long way to go!

Well, should be almost 50 degrees by 8 am, then the temp is going to drop all day from there. Hopefully between the warmth and rain the snow will go away so the chicks can run in the yard again.

Well, should be almost 50 degrees by 8 am, then the temp is going to drop all day from there. Hopefully between the warmth and rain the snow will go away so the chicks can run in the yard again.
I know what you mean! My girls are going stir crazy inside the coop.

Anyone in CT have any Silkies/Frizzles/Bantam Cochins for sale? I'm revamping my flock, downsizing on my larger birds and focusing more on Silkies (Like I had originally planned, it just got away from me) as well as looking to add some frizzles and bantam cochins. I'll be making a trip to CT in February to visit some family and friends and if there is anyone who can help me out while I'm down there that would be great! Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom