Connecticut!

Im from bridgeport I breed chickens / ducks atm though we got rid of our main rooster and I have a young silkie roo now that hasnt mated with any of my chicks and my last batch of ducks didnt go to well in the incubator unfor; ;/

Hi all,
I haven't been active here in some time, especially as our chickens have been pretty smooth sailing while the rest of life has been crazy. We have our original group from mypetchicken that is now 4 years old, and then the flock is rounded out by the TSC chicks we added 2 years ago in the spring. They've all been healthy, no significant issues other than the fox that tried to grab my easter egger! And my barred rock that hasn't laid an egg in over a year.....that girl is lucky we are soft-hearted and she gets an easy retirement. She's still pretty.

We're now at 13 chickens total, and 2 are roosters. Our neighbors, who've been ok with them up to this point, are oddly enough now getting irked at the crowing. And really 2 boys is too much for our hens, so we need to find a solution before snowy weather hits and they're cooped up more.

I see there's already an attempt to get rid of roosters here from last week, but I don't suppose anyone is interested in a black or a silver-laced bantam cochin? I'll list in the buy-sell-trade area too.

We are debating the dreaded Craigslist post, it always makes me worried that someone just wants an animal to torture. We know they may just become dinner, which is in the end acceptable as we will need to get rid of them one way or another. I'd just rather not do it myself, and if they do end up in a pot I'd like them to have a humane end. We've had them since they were tiny chicks, and of course they were sweet and cuddly for most of the first year. Sigh.

An option to keep him quieter is to make or buy the collar for your rooster. I made one with velcro and it works great. It doesnt harm him and muffles his crow so its no too offensive for neighbors.

Thanks for the input. The bigger issue is the overmating of hens - we only have 11 girls and one is a tiny Old English Game bantam.
We tried saddles, even the "smalls" were too small. And for the OEGB, I just cringe every time I see the much bigger rooster on her itty bitty frame. She's never been hurt, but I worry that one day she will be.

We have a decent coop and run, but no way to keep the roosters separated.

Does anyone know where I can get a few California Grey hens. I tried to get chicks at the Agway in Great Bearington this spring but they had a delay and then a substitution by Privett hatchery. Unfortunately that was their last shipment for the season. I resigned myself to waiting another year but really wanted them for next season.

Hello,

This is my first time posting in a while, but seeing as how fall is finally starting to get cold especially at night... Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure my chickens are warm happy and healthy for our cold autumns and winters? This is my first year with chickens and I'm just trying to make sure I don't end up with any frost bitten comb or wattles.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom