Connecticut!

Little blue, thanks for the tip. I actually found some materials around the house today (thanks to my better half for the suggestion), and I built a cage/partition to keep her from being bothered by the others. She's intent on sitting (currently with a wooden egg and maybe an infertile one of her own), so I'll get some fertile ones and let her heed nature's calling. How many do you think it appropriate for her to cover? She's a plump Wyandotte, so I'm thinking 6 or 8.

i dont know how many they will cover i have orpingtons and we usually give them about 6-8 but you can tell if they will not be able to cover that many (they are usually hanging out of the sides of the chicken).

My boyfriend asked me to put out the word that he might want one more chicken this year. We successfully avoided bringing home any chicks this year from the feed store's "Chick Day", but, maybe an older girl (who could hold her own during the introduction stage) could join our flock.
He's looking for a different color egg layer (for us this means no regular brown, rose, or white). I guess that means we want blue, green, olive or chocolate eggs. Thanks.

I am a newbie from Newtown and am glad to see so many people close by. I got my chicks two weeks ago and everything is going wonderful. I can't stop looking on this site, it is truly addicting. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with my run right now and it is all that I think about.

I would love some more ideas on how to convert this fenced in area to something safe for my chicks. This is another post that I started with a picture
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/649345/how-do-i-turn-this-space-into-a-wonderful-run#post_8761250

Hi Achiever, welcome! I'm next door to you in Bethel. I'm 1 year into my chicken adventure but there are lots of great experienced chicken keepers here to help :) -Jen

Hey Jen- how many animals do you have and what is your chicken setup? I am still trying to figure out my run right now and I am fascinated by all of the different coop/ run setups. What breeds do you have? I would really like to have a few more.

Hey achiever! I'm right over in Ridgefield. If you want to visit a couple of local coop set ups I could take you to a couple. The coup section on BYC is a great start, but it's nice to see things in person and hear what works and doesn't.

I am a newbie from Newtown and am glad to see so many people close by. I got my chicks two weeks ago and everything is going wonderful. I can't stop looking on this site, it is truly addicting. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with my run right now and it is all that I think about.
I would love some more ideas on how to convert this fenced in area to something safe for my chicks. This is another post that I started with a picture
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/649345/how-do-i-turn-this-space-into-a-wonderful-run#post_8761250

Hey I'd love to be included in that tour! I have 5 chickens in a chicken tractor with an 8X5 footprint (pics on my page). The girls pretty much have the run of my fenced back yard, which also has enough landscaping to give them cover from the hawks, which so far are the only predators in the yard-although i've seen fox and other critters in the woods that my yard backs to.

Hey achiever! I'm right over in Ridgefield. If you want to visit a couple of local coop set ups I could take you to a couple. The coup section on BYC is a great start, but it's nice to see things in person and hear what works and doesn't.

Sure! The more the merrier. PM me and we'll work it out. People were so generous with there time when I was starting out, so it's time to pay it forward.

Hey I'd love to be included in that tour! I have 5 chickens in a chicken tractor with an 8X5 footprint (pics on my page). The girls pretty much have the run of my fenced back yard, which also has enough landscaping to give them cover from the hawks, which so far are the only predators in the yard-although i've seen fox and other critters in the woods that my yard backs to.

Back
Top Bottom