Considering a dog: Anatolian Shepherd : Opinions/Experiences?

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
We are considering getting a dog to guard our chickens. I have been doing some research and ran across this breed. Now looking for opinions, and experiences. Share?

I believe the sage you seek is known as "Watchdogps".

I think Watchdogps usually hangs out in the Other Pets, etc section. You might want to cross post down there
wink.png

Jim

Last edited:
Quote:
Area enough for a large dog. Anatolians more heat tolerant than some other options. We have a couple Anatolians and crosses as well as a few Great Pyrenees at work. The Anitolians cover more ground which is not important in your case. The Anitolians are a bit more nippy with me even though they see me each day. I think Anitolians will be better than Great Pyrenees at denying the coyotes and foxes the option of grab and run on chickens.

Problem to be expected with any type of dog is that birds may not stay within same confines as guard dog.

Quote:
Area enough for a large dog. Anatolians more heat tolerant than some other options. We have a couple Anatolians and crosses as well as a few Great Pyrenees at work. The Anitolians cover more ground which is not important in your case. The Anitolians are a bit more nippy with me even though they see me each day. I think Anitolians will be better than Great Pyrenees at denying the coyotes and foxes the option of grab and run on chickens.

Problem to be expected with any type of dog is that birds may not stay within same confines as guard dog.

I have seen data that Anatolian Shepherd are more likely to be aggressive to humans than Pyrs which was why I went with a Pyr for our yard (can't call it a farm) watchdog. My comment in regards to the dog needing to be with the chickens is this; if the acreage is fenced, it doesn't matter. Any watch dog is going to watch an acre sufficiently. That's the area we have and our Pyr was 100% in protecting the girls. And, for the last month our Newfie has done just as well.

Jim

Quote:

Heat tolerant was one of the important traits I have read about. Independence was another.

Back
Top Bottom