Considering a new bird

@RiverOtter thank you for your input. I very much appreciate your experience and advice. I don't want to get into this too much because I don't feel my advice is particularly wanted in this thread anyway. I'm not taking this personally, but I won't waste the rest of my morning in discussion.

To clarify, I agree with you on most of what you've said. I slightly misunderstood what you were saying earlier, so thank you for clarifying and I do really appreciate people who devote their time to helping these amazing creatures.

I've already made clear my views and advice. I do agree about rescues needing much consideration. I don't want to cause debates. I hope we have found some common ground.

I nearly forgot, Google <your city or county> Bird Club

Odds are excellent there is a club near you, full of helpful people, at least one of whom is sure to have the species you're interested in, and at least one will know a good breeder for when you're ready.

I know we can't do meetings right now, but I would recommend going to at least 3 meetings (when we can) before you bring one home. I haven't been to a club yet where members didn't bring their feathery friends, so you'll get to meet some in person.

As to finding a hand fed cockatiel, contact your local pet stores as they sell many of the needs for hand feeding. If they don't have what you want they likely know people who do. Some pet stores and feed mills have bulletin boards for their customers to advertise. I have seen tiels advertised on craiglist.

If you have the patience, and I'm betting you do, research how to hand feed. While it might scare you, it really isn't that hard and tiels are among the easiest to hand feed. I'm sure Youtube has videos showing how to hand feed a cockatiel. Look at images online. Tiels come in a wide range of colors and patterns. As you research do not read materials that are not written 1st person (by someone who actually has cockatiels) and avoid outdated materials. Cockatiels have been kept as pet for numerous decades. Many of the older texts are laughable; very inaccurate.

if you consider a tiel do not get a female every female ive ever owned had egg problems and died
I'm sorry you had such a sad experience. My wife and I had dozens of tiels (we used to raise them and hand feed) and many were female. We never lost a female to reproductive problems. Depending on the person, a female tiel may well be a better choice over a male.

A tiel does sound great, or maybe a little green cheek conure. I suggest looking up parrot rescues in your area. Not only are you rescuing a bird, but you’ll get to know the adult personality really well, visit your prospective pet, and learn from people well-verses in birds, behavior, and adoption.

I appreciate lengthy replies and helpful information. But the discouragement is a one-sided argument. I know not everyone is a suitable bird owner, and not everyone is equipped to meet the bird's needs for its lifespan.
I have read articles and have done a fair amount of research. I don't take these matters lightly.
My post says that I am considering a new bird. It also says that I am not getting one right away. I will be learning and planning ahead.
I'm simply hoping to welcome a new companion into my home, where it will be well cared for.
I like to think, that if I get a new bird I will be able to come here for advice.

If and when you decide to get a hookbill make it a hand fed bird. Cockatiels of any age can be tamed, but they never get to be like a totaly trusting hand fed bird. The same is true for other parrot species.

I know you said you didn't want a chicken but....

Below is Pablo, a frizzle serama. Pablo lives in a tub by my chair. When I sit down for my morning coffee, Pablo flies to my lap, greets me with a crow, a lowers his head to be scratched or have his face rubbed. When I take one of my many breaks throughout the day, Pablo is right by me.

Pablo is no where near the intelligence of a hook bill, but he's still an endearing pet.

aaapabonknee.jpg
bestpablo.jpg

At 13 ounces, Pablo is small ad easy to care for.

Back
Top Bottom