Considering Adopting a Single Pullet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by micstrachan, Mar 22, 2018.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Greetings,
    I have a mixed breed flock of nine hens... three two-year-olds and six one-year-olds. They have a great life and receive lots of loving care... the best I can provide regarding shelter, space, feed, and avian veterinary care, when needed.
    Except for one loss to a laying disorder in September, everything is going so smoothly, I had not planned to get chicks this year so as not to disrupt the peace (and my flock is a nice manageable size.)
    However, a ten-month-old blue ameracauna recently became available, and I’m considering taking her in (with a proper quarantine period, of course... I’m not sure how well I am set up for that.) Is this a bad idea? I don’t want to expose my flock to potential illnesses or parasites and bringing in a single hen sounds downright dangerous in an existing flock. Thoughts? Advice? Anecdotes? Thanks!

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    It’s great thought that your willing to do that, but for me I only mix birds to my flock that I got on first day or first week of their hatch. Just my preference, In
    five years of such practice I’d been very lucky not to have diseases and bugs in my flock of 30 hens + a rooster.

micstrachan likes this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I’m leaning toward NOT adopting the blue ameracauna. Thinking it’s not worth the risk. I hope it gets a nice new home.

Spartan22 likes this.
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I wouldn't bring in anything but chicks or hatching eggs either. I learned that lesson the hard way a few years back. You just never know what they are carrying.

Bringing in a single bird too is a bad idea. It's very stressful on the individual.

micstrachan and Spartan22 like this.
  5. Chasingcars

Chasingcars Songster

Sep 15, 2017
    Derbyshire , England
    Ive adopted in lots of waifs and strays over the years ...I’d never not try if it needs rehoming ..on one occasion I had re rehomed as they just didn’t get along and it was just too much to cope with the noise and daily fights ...other than that it’s been ok
    I was given one Yokohama hen last week ..she’s super small so I bought her a friend and they are quarantining together nicely ..they went into the free ranging paddock today with just a bit of a fuss but nothing major..introduce two if you can but I’ve introduce one several times with no problems when it’s been a larger hen.
    :thumbsup

Cyprus and micstrachan like this.
  6. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Well, it sounds like she’s already spoken for. I figured as much. Who wouldn’t want a beautiful blue chicken who lays blue eggs? I love a happy ending!

Chasingcars and Spartan22 like this.
  7. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    :wee:wee:wee Happy ending!!!

Chasingcars likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Someone who didn't know about quarantine and/or how hard it can be to integrate and single bird?
    I was wondering why would anyone want go get rid of one?

oldhenlikesdogs and Cyprus like this.
  9. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Good answer.

I was told they relocated and had one too many for their zoning allowance. I was questioning why they chose that particular bird, but didn’t follow up since I decided against taking in a singlet and she was already taken.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: