Considering chickens

Penelopechick

Chirping
Feb 27, 2021
Shelburne, VT
Hello, everyone! I've been lurking around for months, having so much fun reading your posts and learning about chickens. I think I *might* be ready to get some of my own (meaning, I'll be their main point person, with help from my two kiddos, 7 and 11, and my husband). Our town in Vermont has no zoning regulations regarding chicken keeping, and I have checked in with all neighbors who border my yard, which is just under half an acre. I'm in a neighborhood and am worried mostly about the noise chickens will make. I'm really only worried about one set of neighbors, who would likely prefer that I didn't get chickens but have given me their blessing (hence my desire to have the least obtrusive chickens I can get). We look forward to the eggs, mostly because we make a lot of homemade ice cream, which is yolk heavy, but mostly the chickens will be pets. I'm thinking I'll get the Omlet Eglu and walk-in run set up; that way, worst case, if my chicken experiment is a total disaster, I'll be able to sell the set up and the chickens can go to an educational farm/kid's camp around the corner. I also bought the plans for the Garden Loft Coop and found that the price of those building materials alone equals the Omlet setup--just no way to get a cheap coop+run around here, it seems. I may indulge and get two Eglus with the idea I'd keep six chickens, three in each? I'll practice the deep litter method in the run itself, as we already compost and would like more space to do that. I'm thinking some combo of Orpingtons, Cochins, Easter Eggers, and maybe the Barnevelder? I'm also so drawn to the Brahmas, but I'm not sure they'll fit in the Eglu? I'd like the birds to be happy with confinement in the run (which will be large, about 100 square feet), with occasional supervised free range (with movable fencing). Anyone out there with a similar setup have tips/advice for making the Eglu work and with what breeds? Thanks!

Hi. Welcome to BYC!
I don't have that setup but I will tell you that if you get good quality orpingtons, they are almost as large as brahmas.
I haven't seen an eglu so I don't know how big or well set up it is. Most prefabs advertise that they can hold many more than they actually can. If you can see it in person, measure the roosts, how far they are from the wall, and headspace before purchasing.
I wish you the best.

Hi. Welcome to BYC!
I don't have that setup but I will tell you that if you get good quality orpingtons, they are almost as large as brahmas.
I haven't seen an eglu so I don't know how big or well set up it is. Most prefabs advertise that they can hold many more than they actually can. If you can see it in person, measure the roosts, how far they are from the wall, and headspace before purchasing.
I wish you the best.
Thank you for that note about Orpingtons! I'm still on the fence (or roost) about the coop. Anyone have a rec for a prefab on the larger side with a quality build that won't break the bank? Or just a rec for a quality prefab period?

Hi and welcome to BYC. A flock will almost always roost together, so two coops are unlikely to work. I’d suggest considering re- purposing a garden shed. There are lots of coop ideas in the Articles link below:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hi and welcome to BYC. A flock will almost always roost together, so two coops are unlikely to work. I’d suggest considering re- purposing a garden shed. There are lots of coop ideas in the Articles link below:

Best wishes

Pork Pie
Thank you so much for this good info about two coops--I did wonder about that! Very good to know. I'll scour these sources for other good ideas. Thanks again!

1615021856797.gif

As far as I know the omlets are for max average size chickens. As pork pie says, I would rather go for a converted shed too. Or a bigger children’s playhouse lifted a bit of the ground.

Try to find some relevant articles or threads by searching.
If you want to read more about chickens: here you find an overview with topics of the week that may help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive.72529/

:welcome:woot:woot:celebrate:yesss:Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Awesome poultry Forum to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help you with any questions you may have. :)

Doing your homework first will save you from a lot of this! :barnie:he You and your family will have lots of fun on your new adventure. Best of luck and please keep us all posted. :)

Back
Top Bottom