Considering Foot Amputation

I saw lil' Pepper at work and his foot looked a bit off. I ended up taking him home and determined he had curled toe paralysis. I tried the bandaid and cardboard splits; I even ended up getting a 3d printed splint. Despite trying to correct his foot for the last 2 months he has gradually gotten worse. The toes are stiff like rigor mortis and one of them is pale and swollen.
Here he is today, he can no longer use the foot and just hops about
At this point I think the best option may be amputation. I've been looking at quite a few prosthetics for him.

Anyone who has experience with this subject: when might be the best time for the amputation? Should I wait till he's a bit older, if possible? Any post-op tips or things I should know?
How old is your chicken?

If curly toe paralysis, Give Riboflavin In a couple droppers on top of beak and Vitamin C 250mg crushed with small amount riboflavin. Push that into side of beak everyday for as long as it takes. If he has curly toe paralysis that’s a nerve problem that can be brought on by riboflavin deficiency. Sunlight on food kept outside can degrade riboflavin.But some chickens just may have it.
I don’t try to put liquid on top of tongue as it’s too easy for chicken to move suddenly, liquid go into lungs and chicken aspirate.

My hen is a year old and harder to cure if it’s curly toe paralysis. My hens feet are floppy, not hard and swollen. You can call vet college or vet to see if they have an opinion.
I don’t recommend Branscum… 3D plastic feet for chicken. They are too rigid and heavy in my opinion. and can further injure and permanently damage the feet.
Please let me know what you find out and I’ll do the same.About lightweight flexible prosthetic feet legsThere are great mechanical prosthetic legs/feet out there that are flexible , lightweight with moveable joints. Haven’t found out where yet.
Cuween

Back
Top Bottom