Considering Guineas

I think Guineas would be worth a try in your situation. I second that noise is a real issue for some people, though it doesn’t bother me personally. As for Coopers - I have lost guineas to Coopers. I’ve also lost them to red tails, bobcats, and a loose dog. More have been lost to unknown predators. For most predators, I lock the guineas into their coop and run for two weeks and the predators mostly move on. Also, my guineas seem to learn from their predators and will counter their moves. For example, when the Cooper’s hawk was preying on the flock, the guineas started staying tighter together and spending most of their time close to bushes and underbrush where they could take cover. When the bobcat was recently picking the guineas off, guineas started flushing very easily, and I saw them evade the bobcat once that way (that’s when I realized I had a bobcat issue again and locked the guineas in while taking steps to deter the bobcat). I do get very attached to my birds but have gotten better about calmly dealing with their inevitable losses from free ranging. I remind myself that guienas prefer to free range, that they have a good life, and that they survive where chickens can’t.
Very good info. Thank you!

Can't argue with that. The guineas I had yelled at each other pretty much all day. I find it endearing though. Maybe cause I have a very loud stereo system, and very good headphones lol.
Ours free ranged but unfortunatley not far enough.:D
I have to be honest and state that they were a lot of trouble for not a lot of joy and the Goshawks seemed to like them.
A further problem was while it is true they foraged well they are direct competition for the same type of forage as the chickens. If you free range chickens this might be a consideration.
They got moved on and are on my never try that again list.

Yeah, I don't think it'll work for a couple of reasons. I really mourn when I lose an animal. Also. I was hoping to keep them in with the goats, who have about a half an acre within the portable fence. While the fence would keep them contained and protected from 4-legged predators, it wouldn't do anything for the hawks. Any brush/bushes they'd be able to use for hiding would be devoured by the goats, leaving the guineas exposed.

I dont think it would be easy to keep them safe from those kinds of predators and they aren't very smart when it comes to fences so that could also be a problem although i do recommend them for the ticks and guineas combined with goats keeps you safe from both ticks and poisonous plants I would recommend locking them in a predator-proof coop at night and watching them during the day hopefully the predators wont figure a way around that hawks don't usually grab guineas

Back
Top Bottom