Considering horses

That’s good to know. Only part of that area is wooded (with mostly pines), and there is a big open space that is trying to grow grass (and weeds) now that we cleared out the half dead little oaks that were there. The pine needles in the wooded area snuff out most of anything else that would grow save for wild blackberry (yes, thorns) and muscadine vines that have never borne grapes as far as I can tell.
consider talking with the county extension office, or a local co-op person about pasture mixes for your area! animals have a different understanding than us about what is good forage. Horses in particular prefer short grasses and don't eat where they poop. So when we look and see lush green grass they might only see the bathroom. Pasture management becomes critical on a small lot. And unless you devote a lot of the lot to the horses, you won't have much grass for long. Horses are very destructive to their environment! But as mentioned many times above: You have some time yet to figure it out.

We had a pony, and we had goats that kept him company, he even befriended a boy bunny that we let run around his pen.

As far as myself, I am not a horse, pony person, (accidents on them) and I considered my self pretty skilled. Nope, I am sticking with chickens.

Our summer pastures cover about ten acres, about enough for our current four. In winter, we have about three acres next to the barn, with a heated hydrant for their water, essential in snow country.
They absolutely strip every green thing in those few acres over winter! And have chewed bark off trees, big trees. Once it's not muddy, they go back to their summer digs, and the winter acres recover, until the next winter.
Something you won't have happen the same way in Florida, but you will have other challenges...
Happy horses need space, and companions!
And the sweetest horse can kill you, getting scared and knock you down. Big prey animals, who have that flight instinct when startled.
Mary

Thanks for the resources.

You guys who have mentioned the higher prices due to proximity to Ocala have a good point, although I think we are probably far enough that it’s not an issue (different county and more of an ag community rather than the more uppity horsey community, no offense intended by that), but I will definitely have that on my radar now. Real estate is getting ridiculous as you gomore toward Ocala from here, that much I do know.

Neighbors have a donkey like four lots down, I’m guessing it’s maybe 1600ft down the road and he is noisy! I think we would just get two horses rather than try to have a different species of companion animal with its own learning curve. There are 7 of us living here so two horses would still get worked often enough.
well, it is not all bad to be near a horse oriented centrum: You will have access to more and better professionals: Vets, farriers, trainers, etc.....

I've had horses for over 65 years...but the last ones died and are buried down in the lower pasture...I'm not getting any more. The price of hay is too high now - as well as grain, salt blocks, vitamins, vet fees, etc. etc. etc. I would suggest that riding lessons are a nice exchange; or something along those lines; if someone really wants to be around horses. I used to help tame down dude ranch horses when I lived in Phoenix....since I was experienced, they would let me take out the green horses every evening.

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but it might be a good idea to enroll your daughter in 4-H and lease a horse before going through with a purchase. She would learn everything she needed to know about horses by having a project and being guided by a mentor (usually your club advisor can recommend reputable trainers in your area and pair her with a mentor). You would learn about all the horse's needs too by helping her and attending lessons and events with her, have the benefit of taking more lessons on a good broke horse with way less responsibility in the beginning, and gain valuable veterinary/blacksmith/feed and hay supply contacts for when you are actually ready to purchase your own. You might even be able to purchase the horse that you lease if you find the right person (and horse). It would definitely help you know what you're getting into!

Back
Top Bottom