consistently getting soft shelled eggs

We've had similar problems with soft shelled eggs in our flock and were told we have bad calcium deficiency even though we let them have oyster shells free choice. Here's what we've done: in addition to the oyster shells try feeding them kale, dandelion leaves, and collards. They're all really good in calcium and my girls love it all. I just have started them on it and we already notice that the shells seem to be getting harder.

The good thing about dandelion leaves too is they're free. Lol.

Just whatever you do, don't feed them spinach. I've heard that it has something in it that takes away any calcium they already have in their bodies and it is not good for them.

Someone on here also suggested giving them peas as well.

Last edited:
One thing I did with my rir who was laying soft golf ball sized eggs that were breaking in the box. I secluded her and give her scrambled eggs for a couple days but when cooking I literaly dropped an egg in the pan shell an all lol. She gobbled it up and now lays good size and hard eggs. Sometimes she has that rough ness on the tip but no more soft eggs. Maye she dosnt know she needs more calcium

Put electrolytes in there food and water and what brand of feed are you giving them I would recommend Dumor laying crumbles.

I would also reccomend Verm x poultry zest and vitamin d3 you can find these 2 products on Meyer Hatcherie.com look under the medication and you will find these products.

Spice girls sounds like a scientist like me :) we are problem solvers....our brains just wonder and work and then try things til we work it out.

I have a hen that lays an odd shaped egg, with excess calcium pimples all over, concentrated at the "small" end. She is a year or two old. First "egg" I ever got in my life was from her, layed in my garage(quarantine) from the perch onto the floor. It was soft shell and broken. :(

I don't really count it.

She is a bit of a freako. I picked her because I liked her lovely look. She was a spaz in the garage. She is better outside, but I'll bet you $1 If I tried to flip her out, soft shell next day. Also, free access to oyster shell. If I take the oyster shell away, soft egg it seems. I am going to be experimenting with the vitamin D, and other natural remedies.

She lays an extra large round blue egg 6 out of 7 days, I give calcium and good food an free range...she has it awesome! I'm not going to cull her, we happily eat her eggs. I just don't give hers out.

I would be curious to breed her, for our little flock experiment of course, just to see if her children lay a better egg, and proving that the shell gland was damaged somehow or if it was genetics.

So curious to find information on what(besides calcium) has worked for others!!!

Yes but the spinach will still be such a small percentage of the diet, that little bit of iron can't possibly have any effect.
It's not like they're eating a big spinach salad for lunch every day. At least 90% of the diet should still be properly formulated chicken feed.

Last edited:
I know in humans iron inhibits calcium absorption so its probably the same with chickens. Spinach is high in iron.

Yes. This is what I have been told but I think a little bit of spinach couldn't hurt them. Since mine are having calcium issues anyway, I don't give this to them to be safe. There are so many other greens they could eat that are calcium rich so I don't see the need to give them something that could possibly add to the problem. That's a personal choice though.

Back
Top Bottom