Consolidated Kansas

Thanks HEChicken! Not very subtle, am I?
hmm.png
But I just love the look of that hen. It's one of the most beautiful birds I've ever seen.

There were a couple poultry shows not too many hours from here that I was thinking of taking some chicens to in the next month. In just the last few days ALMOST ALL of the birds I would have taken to show have started to molt. Some of them look really bad, especailly my rosecomb roo. He was so beautiful, now he looks half plucked.
hmm.png

Guess I won't be doing any shows until fall.

There were a couple poultry shows not too many hours from here that I was thinking of taking some chicens to in the next month. In just the last few days ALMOST ALL of the birds I would have taken to show have started to molt. Some of them look really bad, especailly my rosecomb roo. He was so beautiful, now he looks half plucked.
hmm.png

Guess I won't be doing any shows until fall.

Sorry about that! Hey, how did you find out about the poultry shows? Are they listed on a site somewhere? Maybe if there is one not too far from me (and you) we could meet up at one! :)

We checked the apa website. We went to one on saterday in hutchinson. There was a dbl apa show and arba show. My kids only show in 4h but loved seeing all the breeds! They said about 1/3 of the breeders had to cancel because of the weather so it was a small show. Very cool to check out though!

Anyone have any chanteclers, polish, orphingtons or brown leghorns available? Looking for birds from show lines for the kids. Also wanting some ducks. Still learning about ducks but again would like something from show stock because my son wants to use them for showmanship. Thanks!

We checked the apa website. We went to one on saterday in hutchinson. There was a dbl apa show and arba show. My kids only show in 4h but loved seeing all the breeds! They said about 1/3 of the breeders had to cancel because of the weather so it was a small show. Very cool to check out though!
Anyone have any chanteclers, polish, orphingtons or brown leghorns available? Looking for birds from show lines for the kids. Also wanting some ducks. Still learning about ducks but again would like something from show stock because my son wants to use them for showmanship. Thanks!

what is APA and DBL and ARBA? You're going to have to explain that, please. Your kids are in 4-H, too!! That's great! Is your club hosting a poultry show soon? We are looking for another show to attend. My son needs more practice in Showmanship. I ordered him a cute white lab coat and had them embroider his name and our club name on it! Now he'll fit right in with everyone else. He was told at his last show that he would do better point wise with one. Even so, I had him dressed up pretty nice in church clothes, so he didn't get any points deduced, but apparently, the judges like to see the coats. Sooo... any other shows you know about?? I keep checking the K-State site, but I don't see anything listed. And the last show we went to, wasn't listed on there at all! We were going to go to the show in Hutch, but with the bad weather, I didn't want to be nearly 2 hours away from home with no shelter. We were really bummed about skipping it.

ETA: just making a guess... is APA "american poultry association"? Can you also send me the link.

Last edited:
APA-American Poultry Associaton

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/

ABA-American Bantam Associatoin

http://www.bantamclub.com/site/

ARBA-Not sure about that one... a breed club, maybe

I go to a webpage and down load their magazine every month and save it in my documents. It is where I have found the most on upcoming small shows (APA often only has regional, semi annual and annual meets listed.) The exhibition poultry magazine has some pretty good articles every month. Admittedly, some of them are over my head (genetics) but there are many great idea on there, too.

Exhibition Poultry Magazine

http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/

Dbl-Double. Means it was two shows in one. They have two judges that go around and judge the birds separately. One bird may win best of show under one judge and not place as well under the other. It's kind of fun to see the difference in opinion of the judges, but they are amazingly close in the shows I've attended.

APA-American Poultry Associaton

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/

ABA-American Bantam Associatoin

http://www.bantamclub.com/site/

ARBA-Not sure about that one... a breed club, maybe

I go to a webpage and down load their magazine every month and save it in my documents. It is where I have found the most on upcoming small shows (APA often only has regional, semi annual and annual meets listed.) The exhibition poultry magazine has some pretty good articles every month. Admittedly, some of them are over my head (genetics) but there are many great idea on there, too.

Exhibition Poultry Magazine

http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/

AWESOME!! Thank you so much for that great info! (my guess for the apa was right!) I'm off to go check it all out now! I appreciate the links! So much to learn! We're having fun with the 4-H, but having a tough time locating events. I probably should have known the ABA-- but I joined the ASBC instead since it was more specific. :) I'm just not familiar with the shortened terms for poultry.
hu.gif
My DH's cousin gave me a stack of newspapers that have pictures of birds in them and the showing results, more shows, etc. But I haven't really browsed thru them and they are mostly older. He just wanted me to get an idea of what it had. I don't know know what it's called.. -- wait I just looked, it says "Poultry Press" on it.

Dbl-Double. Means it was two shows in one. They have two judges that go around and judge the birds separately. One bird may win best of show under one judge and not place as well under the other. It's kind of fun to see the difference in opinion of the judges, but they are amazingly close in the shows I've attended.

if there are two judges, does both judging stand, or do they have to decide together who gets what?

Back
Top Bottom