Consolidated Kansas

Yes keep the temp exactly the same. I've tried about every medium there is for holding moisture for hatching and a good sopping wet rag seems to keep it the highest. Lots of things absorb moisture but some things release it better. I used to use sponges but they tend to absorb but not release as well. I have a pan of broken clay pot pieces in the bottom of my hatcher and put the wet rags up higher., plus the automatic waterer. Of course mine is a big GQF so I have room for all that. I think Hawkeye had found some way to add water without opening the unit but I don't remember how. You could use a big syringe with a plastic tube attached to add water.

Oh how sad about your tom. Maybe he will turn back up looking for his girlfriends.
Just got home after a long day of moving my Dad and trying to put things away for him where he could find them. I stayed in town to finish and DH came back home mid afternoon. Someone had opened the gate to the wild turkey pen. It had been opened toward the inside and two of the four turkeys were out. DH managed to catch one of the girls but my Tom is gone. He said it flew over the South barn and he hasn't seen it since. So now I have 3 hens and no Tom's cause I just sold the other Tom in October. What worries me worse is this turkey was hatched by me and is 18 months old and has never been in the wild before. He has no idea how to hunt for himself or be self preserving. He could easily be coyote bait.
Someone had to come in and open that gate cause if the turkeys could have possibly jarred the latch open it would have swung to the outside, not the inside. I was out there this morning before I left to let the chickens out and it was in tact then.
There's a lot of hunters around right now and there is also one person who I have feared would do something like this if they ever knew I wasn't home. I don't know if those who have been around a while, remember when I had some guineas and some laying hens stolen from their pens last spring. I am pretty upset. I really don't want to have to have chains and padlocks on every thing around here. I just really want my Tom back, not as much for his actual value but because I know he wouldn't survive in the wild. He would probably walk up close to someone if they had a feed bucket. It would make him a perfect target for a hunter. I guess I will have to sell my girls if I don't get him back cause I will never find another wild Tom that is somewhat domesticated.
Bummer!!!!
Maidenwolf I think the small cochin appears to be purebred. It could also be a girl. It doesn't have that predominant red comb. The little red one I think is half orpington, half sussex unless it has feathers on it's feet, then it would be half sussex and half brahma. When those were bred in that pen there was just the sussex roo with the sussex and orpington hens. But occasionally the big brahma roo would fly in for a visit. If it weren't for his visits back then I would be sure she was sussex orp. I have some now that just look like a darker orpington except they have some black spotty feathers here and there.

Getting ready for LOCKDOWN....

I have 2 hygrometers in my incubator.

Many questions:
1) What humidity range do I need during the lockdown?
I shoot for 60-65% in my brinsea. They are tough to maintain humidity in. I actually now don't boost my humidity until I have a chick in the air cell. So I shut the turner off on day 18 and candle two or three times a day until you see "shadowing" in the air cell or hear a peep! Then I "lockdown." But if this is your first time you will probably want to just lock down on day 18 so you don't have to worry about missing the first air cell pip. They usually pip the air cell and then within 12 hours or so pip the shell. Once they have pipped the shell you do not want to open the bator!!
2) How do I keep the humidity up during the lockdown without opening the incubator? (Brinsea 20)
Fill your water channels up and put paper towels or something that wicks well out of the channels and up into the bottom of the bator under the black plastic tray. The more surface area you have the higher your humidity will be. Don't put open containers of water in the black tray, chicks could fall in and drown. I use a couple tiny plastic tubes that are fed into the sides of the bator and a syringe to add water to the wells during lockdown so I don't have to open the bator. I just put them in under the black tray and smoosh the lid onto them. Then I use a dosing syringe to push water through them as needed. You can also use a straw or syringe through the air vent to add some water if you humidity drops.
3) What do I do if the humidity drops during lockdown? Can I open quickly to put in more water?
Do not open the bator. If you do you break the humidity and even if its for a second it can shrink wrap chicks that have pipped the shell or are in the midst of hatching. I think it is better to maintain the "hatching environment" than it is to disturb the temp and humidity to "fix" something. I have had chicks hatch just fine in my brinsea at 45% or less humidity. It was when I opened it that I had major issues. If you MUST open the bator (ie a chick in trouble) you can run a hot shower that will create a lot of steam and put the bator very close to the shower so when you do open it the air outside the bator is also very humid and hopefully you won't cause too much trouble.
4) I assume that once chicks start hatching, their moisture will help to keep humidity levels high?
Wet chicks will boost your humidity. Don't take any chicks out of the bator until the whole hatch is done. The first chick will hatch early and scream bloody murder. He is just encouraging his friends to come out and play. Leave him in there, the rest need his encouragement much more than you want a lone chick screaming in a brooder.
5) Can humidity get too high? What is the max level?
Humidity won't get too high in your brinsea. Just make sure your vent is all the way open. Don't close it to increase humidity. Chicks need oxygen during hatch as much or more than they need humidity.
6) I stop turning once lockdown starts - right? And what position do I put the incubator in for lockdown - straight up?
Stop turning, straight up.
7) Thursday is day 21 - I start lockdown on Monday evening, right?
I would lockdown Monday night. That will hopefully help you keep your humidity up. 3 days is a long time to try to maintain humidity in the brinsea.
8) How late after 21 days could unhatched chicks still hatch?
Depends on the genetics of the birds the eggs are from, the temp stability of the incubator etc. There are a bunch of factors. The latest I have had chicks hatch is a day after hatch day. Usually if you are going to have a late hatch though they will all hatch a bit late so you won't have chicks hatch on day 19 and then more on day 22 typically. If all your eggs were set at the same time they should all hatch at about the same time.

Good luck and have fun!

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to make sure I give my chicks the best chance for survival.

Josie, how exciting that you're packing, ugh I hate moving it's so much work so I don't envy you that. I'm sure you will be glad once you get moved though that you're closer to everyone & your DH won't have so far to drive either. That's a bummer you have to wait for your sonogram, but on a positive note the baby will have a bit more time to grow too. I never got to find out the sex when I was pregnant way back when, they couldn't see well enough & they wouldn't even let me watch the sonogram at that time. The ones now are so much better too, clearer & you can see so much more. I'm excited for you! I hate packing too! We are pretty organized this time though which is nice. We have also gotten rid of a lot of stuff so that helps as well. I am not looking forward to moving all the birds though! DH said jokingly we could just rent a u haul and load them all up in the back. I said I didn't want to think about trying to clean it out after we got down to the house!

Well I got the little pen moved out of my way this morning, my DH helped me move it & then he helped me move dog run panels over to where I wanted the pen. We got it all set up as much as we could. I'm missing two corner brackets, so two corners only have one bracket. I'm going to have to see if I can find some somewhere. Does anybody know who might sell those bolt on brackets for dog runs or even just chain link? The gate was really screwed up so we had to work at getting it straightened up, I can't imagine how they got it the screwy way it was, all off kilter. We noticed that the top of the panel in the back looks like a tree branch fell on it & bent it in some, but it will be OK. I did decide after getting it all set up that I want to put the turkeys in there, they will just have do much more room in there to move around than where they are & the Ameraucanas can go where the turkeys are now. I'm sure the turkeys will appreciate the extra room, they seem to be pacing at the door now that I have let them out quite a bit wanting to come out & get some exercise. I just hope they don't continue to pick on my hens or they will be staying in their pen. I'm going to get the netting on the top of the pen in the morning & then put the tarps on.

Well gotta go again & run some errands, today has been busy & tomorrow will be too.

Well we need to get out there and get stuff set up to butcher. Ugh. I hate butchering but less mouths to feed will be nice. AND I won't miss those stupid maran roos at all. I am sick of getting flogged every time I go in the pen. We decided to just euthanize my big turkey tom next weekend. He is so huge I don't even know how we would humanely kill him. We can't pick him up and def can't put him upside down! Then I didn't know how we would pluck him because he is too huge to fit in the scalding pot. I told DH I didn't want to be out there sobbing because we were torturing my big fat turkey so we agreed to just put him down and lesson learned. NO broiler turkeys for us anymore.

Oh how sad about your tom. Maybe he will turn back up looking for his girlfriends.
Just got home after a long day of moving my Dad and trying to put things away for him where he could find them. I stayed in town to finish and DH came back home mid afternoon. Someone had opened the gate to the wild turkey pen. It had been opened toward the inside and two of the four turkeys were out. DH managed to catch one of the girls but my Tom is gone. He said it flew over the South barn and he hasn't seen it since. So now I have 3 hens and no Tom's cause I just sold the other Tom in October. What worries me worse is this turkey was hatched by me and is 18 months old and has never been in the wild before. He has no idea how to hunt for himself or be self preserving. He could easily be coyote bait.
Someone had to come in and open that gate cause if the turkeys could have possibly jarred the latch open it would have swung to the outside, not the inside. I was out there this morning before I left to let the chickens out and it was in tact then.
There's a lot of hunters around right now and there is also one person who I have feared would do something like this if they ever knew I wasn't home. I don't know if those who have been around a while, remember when I had some guineas and some laying hens stolen from their pens last spring. I am pretty upset. I really don't want to have to have chains and padlocks on every thing around here. I just really want my Tom back, not as much for his actual value but because I know he wouldn't survive in the wild. He would probably walk up close to someone if they had a feed bucket. It would make him a perfect target for a hunter. I guess I will have to sell my girls if I don't get him back cause I will never find another wild Tom that is somewhat domesticated.
Bummer!!!!
Maidenwolf I think the small cochin appears to be purebred. It could also be a girl. It doesn't have that predominant red comb. The little red one I think is half orpington, half sussex unless it has feathers on it's feet, then it would be half sussex and half brahma. When those were bred in that pen there was just the sussex roo with the sussex and orpington hens. But occasionally the big brahma roo would fly in for a visit. If it weren't for his visits back then I would be sure she was sussex orp. I have some now that just look like a darker orpington except they have some black spotty feathers here and there.

Getting ready for LOCKDOWN....

I have 2 hygrometers in my incubator.

Many questions:
1) What humidity range do I need during the lockdown?
I shoot for 60-65% in my brinsea. They are tough to maintain humidity in. I actually now don't boost my humidity until I have a chick in the air cell. So I shut the turner off on day 18 and candle two or three times a day until you see "shadowing" in the air cell or hear a peep! Then I "lockdown." But if this is your first time you will probably want to just lock down on day 18 so you don't have to worry about missing the first air cell pip. They usually pip the air cell and then within 12 hours or so pip the shell. Once they have pipped the shell you do not want to open the bator!!
2) How do I keep the humidity up during the lockdown without opening the incubator? (Brinsea 20)
Fill your water channels up and put paper towels or something that wicks well out of the channels and up into the bottom of the bator under the black plastic tray. The more surface area you have the higher your humidity will be. Don't put open containers of water in the black tray, chicks could fall in and drown. I use a couple tiny plastic tubes that are fed into the sides of the bator and a syringe to add water to the wells during lockdown so I don't have to open the bator. I just put them in under the black tray and smoosh the lid onto them. Then I use a dosing syringe to push water through them as needed. You can also use a straw or syringe through the air vent to add some water if you humidity drops.
3) What do I do if the humidity drops during lockdown? Can I open quickly to put in more water?
Do not open the bator. If you do you break the humidity and even if its for a second it can shrink wrap chicks that have pipped the shell or are in the midst of hatching. I think it is better to maintain the "hatching environment" than it is to disturb the temp and humidity to "fix" something. I have had chicks hatch just fine in my brinsea at 45% or less humidity. It was when I opened it that I had major issues. If you MUST open the bator (ie a chick in trouble) you can run a hot shower that will create a lot of steam and put the bator very close to the shower so when you do open it the air outside the bator is also very humid and hopefully you won't cause too much trouble.
4) I assume that once chicks start hatching, their moisture will help to keep humidity levels high?
Wet chicks will boost your humidity. Don't take any chicks out of the bator until the whole hatch is done. The first chick will hatch early and scream bloody murder. He is just encouraging his friends to come out and play. Leave him in there, the rest need his encouragement much more than you want a lone chick screaming in a brooder.
5) Can humidity get too high? What is the max level?
Humidity won't get too high in your brinsea. Just make sure your vent is all the way open. Don't close it to increase humidity. Chicks need oxygen during hatch as much or more than they need humidity.
6) I stop turning once lockdown starts - right? And what position do I put the incubator in for lockdown - straight up?
Stop turning, straight up.
7) Thursday is day 21 - I start lockdown on Monday evening, right?
I would lockdown Monday night. That will hopefully help you keep your humidity up. 3 days is a long time to try to maintain humidity in the brinsea.
8) How late after 21 days could unhatched chicks still hatch?
Depends on the genetics of the birds the eggs are from, the temp stability of the incubator etc. There are a bunch of factors. The latest I have had chicks hatch is a day after hatch day. Usually if you are going to have a late hatch though they will all hatch a bit late so you won't have chicks hatch on day 19 and then more on day 22 typically. If all your eggs were set at the same time they should all hatch at about the same time.

Good luck and have fun!

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to make sure I give my chicks the best chance for survival.

Josie, how exciting that you're packing, ugh I hate moving it's so much work so I don't envy you that. I'm sure you will be glad once you get moved though that you're closer to everyone & your DH won't have so far to drive either. That's a bummer you have to wait for your sonogram, but on a positive note the baby will have a bit more time to grow too. I never got to find out the sex when I was pregnant way back when, they couldn't see well enough & they wouldn't even let me watch the sonogram at that time. The ones now are so much better too, clearer & you can see so much more. I'm excited for you! I hate packing too! We are pretty organized this time though which is nice. We have also gotten rid of a lot of stuff so that helps as well. I am not looking forward to moving all the birds though! DH said jokingly we could just rent a u haul and load them all up in the back. I said I didn't want to think about trying to clean it out after we got down to the house!

Well I got the little pen moved out of my way this morning, my DH helped me move it & then he helped me move dog run panels over to where I wanted the pen. We got it all set up as much as we could. I'm missing two corner brackets, so two corners only have one bracket. I'm going to have to see if I can find some somewhere. Does anybody know who might sell those bolt on brackets for dog runs or even just chain link? The gate was really screwed up so we had to work at getting it straightened up, I can't imagine how they got it the screwy way it was, all off kilter. We noticed that the top of the panel in the back looks like a tree branch fell on it & bent it in some, but it will be OK. I did decide after getting it all set up that I want to put the turkeys in there, they will just have do much more room in there to move around than where they are & the Ameraucanas can go where the turkeys are now. I'm sure the turkeys will appreciate the extra room, they seem to be pacing at the door now that I have let them out quite a bit wanting to come out & get some exercise. I just hope they don't continue to pick on my hens or they will be staying in their pen. I'm going to get the netting on the top of the pen in the morning & then put the tarps on.

Well gotta go again & run some errands, today has been busy & tomorrow will be too.

Well we need to get out there and get stuff set up to butcher. Ugh. I hate butchering but less mouths to feed will be nice. AND I won't miss those stupid maran roos at all. I am sick of getting flogged every time I go in the pen. We decided to just euthanize my big turkey tom next weekend. He is so huge I don't even know how we would humanely kill him. We can't pick him up and def can't put him upside down! Then I didn't know how we would pluck him because he is too huge to fit in the scalding pot. I told DH I didn't want to be out there sobbing because we were torturing my big fat turkey so we agreed to just put him down and lesson learned. NO broiler turkeys for us anymore.

The air vent in my incubator doesn't work... The other night when Teresa was here, she went to show it to me and it doesn't slide open at all.. it is just a tiny sliver of a crack now. This is the THIRD incubator Brinsea has sent me- each one has had major lid problems. I'm afraid to tell this one has a problem too... How important is that air vent? It is stuck in closed position - which provides a sliver of a crack..

My turkey is around this morning but he is no way getting close to the pen. I went out and dropped some netting between halves of the pen in my jammies this morning in hope he would walk in the gate to get food. So far no good. I can't leave it like that long. There is too much danger of the girls getting out.
I need to go out later and finish building the pen for the blue slate turkeys. If I had a place to keep them in the meantime I would just leave that gate open and put food and water in there. There just isn't a place to do it though. I still have to figure out where to put my turkeys and my guineas while I am finishing the pen. I need the netting and one of the panels from the pens they are in to do it.
Did you get you package Maidenwolf? You wouldn't want these turkeys cause although they were hatched and raised in captivity they are still wild turkeys not domestic. I just hope I can somehow coax this boy into his old pen. I wish I had a turkey call. It would be nice to be able to play on his hormones. If I can't get him back I have a buyer I know would take them. I just have so much time and money invested in this group I hate to give them up.
They sure are stubborn. Hopefully he falls for it and goes in. Were you raising them for meat then? I have not checked mail yet but havent gotten it yet. I am venturing down to check it after this.
It looks like I may only have one more roo in the bunch you gave me and it is one of the tiny ones, looks pheonix/brahma maybe. The other one you said looked pheonix has no feathers on its legs and is feathered out to be white and black, could she be brahma too just did not get the feather gene?

I got the package! Thank you so much. My DD was excited too. She said " oh my goodness everyones doggies will be so happy" lol. They are the perfect size too.

Last edited:
Where is everyone? I don't know if this thing isn't updating or no one is posting. Maidenwolf I am really glad that they worked out. I think the Candy cane would be adorable for Christmas and the cat will be a hit.
No I hatched these wilds because the mother got killed when she was sitting on the eggs and most of the eggs were destroyed. But then I learned they are in very high demand. People either want to use them to seed their property, for eating, or for taxidermy. It's not like you can go out and buy one normally. The guy I sold my other Tom to has a game farm and needed to change a blood line. You just can't go out and catch a wild Tom. It doesn't happen.
I am so tickled to report that I did finally capture my Tom this morning. He was around early yesterday morning but would take off if I tried to get near him. I sat up a net and divided the pen the hens were in so they couldn't escape. I got more worried about it and went out last night and did some more work so they couldn't get out for sure. I heard him calling them before day light this morning. So I went out and tied the gate open and put a pan of his favorite food in the pen. I stood and watch for an hour and 15 minutes until he finally made his way into the pen and started eating. Then I snuck out the back door and closed the door on him. He was not happy! Anyway I went out and took my divider down and put a caribbeaner through the latch so it can't be opened without a conscious effort. If it gets opened it is going to have to be on purpose.
I also learned something else yesterday that really has me concerned and I wonder how many birds I have lost because of it. Apparently some light bulbs that are being produced have teflon on them. Manufacturers are not required by law to state that it is used. It is also called PTFE. Sometimes they will either put a statement on the box or bulb that says not intended for animal use.
Many of these parts are manufactured out of the country and then the actual bulb is assembled in the U.S. , so it will say it was made in the USA or it doesn't tell you. I know one bulb that definitely has this is GE 90wt bulb that they made to replace the 100 wt bulb. I am trying to find out what other bulbs have this.
The problem is that when heated it gives off a toxin that can and will kill chicks. I wonder how many suspicious chick deaths I have personally had because of light bulbs. I have started loosing some for no apparent reason and didn't know why. I do believe I saw this warning on some small flood lights once. So be sure to check your bulbs. This could be a potential problem. The way I figure it is it is toxic enough to kill a bird it can not be good for a human either.

Last edited:
I really miss my turkey hens and really really want to get a couple. I have been looking everywhere. I at leat want to put in an order and talk prices but it seems as though turkey is a word noone is speaking of right now. My daughter misses them to, she takes flowers to her turkeys grave and sits down there and talks to her and every time I see this I get teary eyed. She said she wants a hen for xmas because that is what Storm would want.
hit.gif
So I am back at it looking for a couple hens for my boys. I am almost done with their new enclosure, they cant roost with the chickens anymore so I am converting the run into a coop until I can buy stuff to make a totally new building. My birds free range all day so all I need to do is cover the windows and put feed bags up.

This is my recycled coop and run. It isnt pretty but it works. the back part were the green tarp is starts the coop area. The rest is a run. It is made out of an old privacy fence. I cut holes and put chicken wire for windows and put wire over the top and then added a tarp because it was getting too wet inside. I think now Iwill convert the run. I have to move my turkey before I can move my goddess chicks to the flock. Which wont be for awhile yet they are 2 months old now. Maybe when they are 3 months.

That looks very nice especially for recycled privacy fence. If you can wait until about February or March I think the stores will have poults again. Of course they won't be sexed. It would be hard to find a tame grown hen that you could handle.
I have to figure out what to do with my pens today and also have to make a trip to town to deliver eggs and go set up some more stuff for my Dad. I need to take my cat to the vet for a shot but that is the opposite direction.
DH picked up my new washer and it is in the back of the truck. The camper shell is on the other truck and I need to get feed. There is nothing I can do cause DH is at work. I will just have to get by somehow today and then hope I can get some first thing in the morning.
I need to do some laundry. I normally try to do most of it on Saturday but since I was gone I didn't. So I am trying to decide whether to do it in the old washer or to wait until the new one is installed. I'm afraid there'll be a delay in installing and then I won't get it done!!
I swear I need a second me.

Oh wouldnt it be nice to have a double of yourself. I am going to wait and keep looking, I want narragansett, blue slate, royal palm, bronze. Those are the breeds I am shooting for. It will be hard to find them sexed, that is the hardest part. I just want 2 girls. You have alot going on today too. I am doing my run today and hopefully have everything I need for it. Its too bad we dont live closer we could help each other out. Oh my dh bought feed for me last friday, he grabbed 2 bags of layer and wanted to help so he emptied both bags into the bin
hmm.png
I had been on grower with oyster shell on the side because of Beauty and Beast ( the cochin and cross you gave me) and because I wanted to begin letting the Goddess chicks out to explore while I was out there little bits at a time. So now I have 100 lbs of layer that they are not going thru at all. I have 1 bag and a half in there. They dont seem to be eating as much as when I had the grower. I want to sell it but not sure how to go about that.

Maidenwolf, I really get the missing of the turkeys. I've only had my pair a short time but I'm really attached to them. I only have the one pair so I'm sorry I can't help out right now. Have you tried posting a wanted ad on the Farm Swap facebook page?

Danz, so glad your wild turkey tom is back in safe and sound. That must be such a relief!!!

It has been quiet around here. I've been busy the past few days and haven't been on much but didn't miss as many posts as I normally would in that time frame.

I had a few minor stresses over birds last week.

First, one morning one of my ducks appeared to be missing. Several hours later I saw her pacing outside the yard looking for a way in (never ceases to amaze me that they can fly out but then pace the fence looking for an opening to get back in - apparently it doesn't occur to them to just fly back in). Anyway, I was relieved she was okay, let her in and didn't think too much about it but later that day noticed she was in depressed mode, off by herself, just sitting. Long story short, I really think something got her that night she was gone and she escaped and fortunately was not badly injured but had a scare. For several days she was by herself and is now the first one into the coop each night. She was always the one who resisted sleeping in the coop the most but now she is the first in as if she's terrified to be outside at night again. It has taken a few days but she is now eating, drinking and playing in the water again. She still seems to be apart from the other ducks most of the time though, and it is really sweet - she now sleeps with my 12-week-old chicks at night. I'll have to try to get a picture of them all cuddled into a nest together, chicks all over and around her!

My next "casualty" was my EE hen, who also started to look depressed. Every time I looked at her, she was just standing in that hunched mode, tail down. Yet, when I tried to pick her up to check her over, she'd look lively and run away from me. A few minutes later though, she'd be off by herself hunched over again. I finally was able to grab her off the roost one evening and check her over. I had been concerned she might be egg-bound so I did a digital exam but didn't feel anything. I also palpated her abdomen and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. When I put her down she ran off and the next day seemed to be back to her more normal self. She hasn't produced an egg since Thanksgiving day though so I dunno....
hu.gif
It started the day after I processed Cyrus and I couldn't help wondering if she was depressed about him not being around but I don't know how much chickens really process events like that. In any event, she seems to be pretty much back to her normal self again now.

Last, I started hearing some sneezing and congestion in a half dozen birds. I escaped all of that earlier this year when so many of you were having these problems but now one after another is sounding a little congested. No discharge of any kind and they certainly haven't lost their appetites - they just sneeze and sound a little hoarse and congested. I'm treating with VetRx and for the first time ever it does seem to be making a difference. The first 3 casualties were all cockerels that I wasn't planning on keeping forever anyway, so I decided to try the VetRx, figuring that if it didn't help, I could always just process them early, but to my amazement, after a treatment or two, they seemed much improved. Since then I heard a hen sounding congested (she is a "no touch") so I was never able to get her to treat and it seemed to resolve on its own. Yesterday a little pullet I really do want to keep was sneezing so I grabbed her and treated her and later couldn't hear any sign of congestion. So I take back every thing I ever said about the stuff not working - at least for these minor symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom