Consolidated Kansas

So the round tail is not desirable? I can snap some more pics and post. The darker mottled hen wouldn't cooperate that day but she has a nice tail not rounded. So I could keep a blue mottled or black mottled and get blue, black or splash from the blue hens?

I will have to try this the next time we butcher a duck!! Brilliant idea!

I wish I had this pen full of duck boys either sold or butchered. I am still having trouble with owls taking ducks. Everything else has a covered pen at night. I wish the dogs would lay where the ducks do now. By the time they make it around the house the owl has already nabbed one. They are so sneaky. It's also dark back there so I can't see when an owl is around.

Thank you much. So the lighter girl with the bunny tail would be ok to use? The other girl wasn't looking at the camera but she is in one of the pics she is darker and less round tail. Also is it important that I make sure they have yellow legs?

younger group -- blue mottled pullet

black mottled pullet

black mottled cockerel, he didn't like standing on the kennel much I will get a better pic of him

blue mottled cockerel, he is the only boy without yellow legs :( I still am not totally sure if that is important..

Maidenwolf I don't know bantam cochin genetics but that top pullet looks awesome. I think I would use one of the younger roos if I were you just because they are mottled and not white.
Well I went out and finished (I thought) my water system on the peafowl pen. I added another line that runs to the goose pen and a faucet for it. I thought I was done and went to work on winterizing more stuff. When I went back to plug in the water bowls I noticed I twisted the line when I put on some angle fittings and now have the faucets facing toward the wall. I also have to raise the corner bend pipe. I measure where it was supposed to go but somehow it is about a half inch too low. That part will be an easy fix. I will have to cut the other line and put a coupler in so I can move the faucets back to the right direction. Grrrr! It's going to be much colder out there trying to do that tomorrow. DH of course hasn't rigged up my hose pieces yet so that is another project to do before I can use the water system.
I got a few tarps up on the north sides of 3 pens as well. Hopefully they'll block some of the north wind. I wanted to install some roofing over a few of these pens but haven't had time and don't have the material available any way.
Then I went back to work on getting heated waterers set up. I still have one more cookie tin heater to make before I'm done. The test will occur tonight. Once the temp reaches freezing It'll show if I over loaded the circuits or not. I moved my group of boy ducks into the pen with the youngest ducks just so I wouldn't have to rig up another heater. I did a quick count today and it looks like the owls have gotten about half of the ducks that were free ranging. They are bound to put me out of the duck business. It seems like I have mostly males left. I've got quite a few eggs I've gathered and I'm trying to decide whether to hatch some. I have a customer waiting for some.
I really don't want to raise babies in the winter. It's a hard decision to make. It all depends on how many survive the owls.

The windy is simply howling out there - such a change from this morning when it was completely still and a very comfortable 60 degrees. I had to do some winterizing myself tonight. I picked up the wading pool and put it up for the winter - the ducks will just have to make do with rubber bowls from now on. I also put the storm windows back in their frames. The roosts sit right in front of the windows and in summer that is nice for them to have the breeze but in winter I have to cover them with the storm windows so the wind isn't blowing directly on them.

The birds certainly knew wintry weather was blowing in. Most nights I am out there chasing the stragglers in before the auto door closes (and not always making it, in the case of the ducks who like to wait until the last possible moment). Tonight when I went down there with plenty of light left, everyone was in but the two tom turkeys, and they were easily persuaded to go in - not a single birds tried to roost outside or play until the last minute!!!

I moved the last of the hoop coop birds to the main coop too. They are a cochin with her 3 chicks and my 4 remaining brooder babies. They were anxious about the change in their sleeping place but I suspect will be glad to be in the coop with the rest of the birds when the temp gets down to the 20's with that cold north wind blowing like it is.

I picked up the last of my summer waterers and got rubber pans out ready to do their duty for the winter months.

I also spent some of today building a "hay wall" for the sheep and goats. The run-in shelter we have keeps the rain off and has a north wall but that's about it. The east and west walls were blown out in a wind storm before our time, and since it is built for horses, it doesn't provide adequate shelter (IMHO) for the little guys. So, using a livestock panel on one side, I laid down pallets on the ground, then stacked hay bales on the pallets. I figure the pallets will keep the hay from direct contact with the ground, which can tend to get wet due to drainage, when there is a downpour of rain. I then put another livestock panel outside the hay bales. The sheep and goats will be able to eat the hay through the panel but won't be able to pull the bales down and scatter them everywhere. So it will serve double duty as a wind block and hay feeder. Since I know that description got confusing and a picture says a thousand words, here it is:

When I locked up the birds tonight, the goats were sitting in the corner next to where the salt block is now. Their igloo is on the other side of the hay wall, facing towards the wall so in the igloo they have shelter on all sides from the wind but at dusk they were still choosing to lie outside. I do plan to extend the wall, but this was as much as I was able to get done today. We also plan to put in a wind block on the side where I was standing to take the photo, and then put a roof over the top, which will help to keep their heat from escaping so quickly, but one thing at a time. At least for tonight I know they have a corner to escape the wind. The sheep don't really seem to care about weather. When it was calm and 60 this morning, they were resting under the shelter. Once the wind picked up and the temperature dropped, they headed out to graze. Go figure.

My poor Delaware is at the peak of a hard molt. I decided to plug in the Sweeter Heaters even though the coop is above 35 (for now). She was shivering on the roost. One of my EE's is almost as naked as Angel, and one other chicken is losing lots of feathers, too.. Silly chooks. Why do they do this now?

HEChicken, that hay wall is looking good so far, good work. I'm sure the goats & sheep will appreciate it both as food & shelter.

I spent my day getting the last few pens covered with plastic, the front windows of the breeder coop, & the wire part of the rabbit hutch where the bigger rabbits are. The plastic on the front windows of the breeder coop is temporary just until I get the plastic panels I want to put in behind the frames. I haven't had a chance to go to Lowe's to get them yet, so I had to block the wind somehow. I also closed the crank windows on that coop today. There is still air circulation from the opening up by the roof but at least the chickens in there are protected from the direct cold wind. I put their food bowls in with them tonight just in case it's so bad in the morning I don't get out there for awhile to let them out. HEChicken, I also went ahead & put those two Exchequer hens into the main coop tonight too after they had gone to bed. I felt kind of sorry for them having to sit out there in the cold by themselves. They walked around the run for a minute & then found the pop door pretty fast & went in to sleep, those are some smart hens. I have had other hens walk around & around & still not see that door, especially when they were sleepy. I also put a bunch of dried leaves in the main coop today to add to the shavings in there. It's something I have plenty of & I have used them before with the DLM. As long as they don't get wet it's fine & the chickens will pick through them too & help break them down. I was needing some more litter in there, but I haven't had time to get more shavings either so I just looked at the piles of leaves today & thought why not. I just got this huge new leaf rake too & I wanted to try it out anyway, it works awesome along with the two leaf picker upper things I got last year, they look like claws. After I got all of that done & some DE put down & stirred into the leaf mix I went out & picked up all the garden hoses I had left to drain the other day & rolled them up & took them into the garage for the winter & picked up the rest of my summer waterers & washed them out & took them in as well. I got fresh water for all of the pens & by the time I had done all of that it was time to feed. Gosh it got cold fast, I had been out all day & up until 4 it was decent out, I didn't even have my jacket on when I was working. Then I came in to get something to drink & rest for about 30 minutes & went back out at 4:30 & wow what a difference that 30 minutes made. The cold front had arrived & it was much colder & the wind was blowing like crazy, I had to get my jacket on fast at that point & I think I fed all the birds in record time. Nobody messed around here getting into the coop tonight either & the goats went right in with no coaxing as well as the ducks who were waiting at the pen door to go in. It was kind of misting too while I was feeding, which made it even more miserable out there. I'm so glad we got that tin roof on the other day & I had already gotten most of the tarps & plastic on before today. I didn't make it to the store to get the two extension cords I need, so I will have a couple of frozen waterers probably. I was just too tired after all of that & then I came in & cleaned out the brooder in the house, it was really a mess. Now I'm just pooped out, whew what a day.

Danz, it sounds like you were busy today too, that's a bummer you weren't able to finish that water system today. I just had to carry buckets of water to all of the pens. It of course wasn't bad when it was 60 degrees out. That's also a bummer you're losing your ducks to the owls. I think I might have the same problem if I didn't lock mine up in their pen at night because we have owls here all the time too.

Gosh, everyone has been busy getting ready for the cold. This will be my first Kansas winter with chickens, I hope I am prepared. The turkeys and a few of the guineas decided to sleep on top of the peacock pen tonight. The peacocks were all outside on their roosts, they can go inside to roost if they choose. I pulled up my tomatoe plants, they still have tomatoes on them, mainly little cherry tomatoes. Can I feed the vines to the chickens and peacocks? I picked the redder of the tomatoes to save to feed them later.
Danz that would be good to do some trading to introduce new blood lines. Maybe my BOs would be different enough, even if they are from the same place? The combs on the pullets are beginning to get a slight red tinge to them. If the rooster can catch a hen that has strayed too far from the Marans rooster he tries to do his thing but he is just a big meany about it.
HEChicken that hay wall is a good idea, I used to make straw huts for the boys' show pigs. Kept them nice and cozy. Your goats will appreciate it, the sheep will just be happy for the hay feeder. :)
Update on the sick Marans cockerel that I posted a picture of last night. 24 hours later here is another picture of him.

Amazing turn around. I gave him vitamin E, vitamin water, scrambled egg and FF with Flock Fuel on it. I had to give him the water in a dropper this morning and afternoon, but then he got his appetite back, gobbled up the FF and egg mixture and then wandered into the kitchen to watch me fix dinner. Right now he is resting on my lap making the contented chick noises. But I am totally perplexed as to what the cause of this could be. He is the 4th chick (and they have been from different hatches) to come down with this and all have recovered after getting the special diet.
Danz when you mentioned about the peachicks could have worms we got a bottle of Ivermec and got everything wormed. Think I will get some of the Rooster Booster for the spring worming. Trish made it sound easy and effective and I believe you should rotate wormers.
Maidenwolf those are some really pretty chickens, but I just peeked at the pictures. :) can't be falling in love with another breed.
Stay warm

Thanks Danz, I think I will use the black mottled boy. I still don't know about the leg color??? Maybe Josie will.
Okiequeenbee-- I love cochin and these are beautiful and I couldn't ask for a better opportunity with these nice birds. The decision is the hardest..
The cold came in fast,, I didn't even finish my winterizing out there, hope the birds don't hate me tomorrow :( Looks like everyone was busy getting ready for it too. Gotta go get straw tomorrow and finish stapling up feed bags on the walls too.... BBRRRR!!!!!

I am just going to throw this out there. If anyone knows of a silkie chick available please let me know. I need to find a friend for my Polish. I am hoping a Silkie would work with her. Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom