Consolidated Kansas

Thanks for the sentiments. There was no record of this much rain, but I think we must have been in a hot spot or something. Everything I have sitting around has between 5-6 inches of water in it. I spent my afternoon dumping wet feed and getting fresh water for the birds. I had about 200 pounds of feed in a barrel that the wind took the lid off and there was actually enough water it went over the top of the feed. I bucketed it out into a wagon with shade cloth lining it in hopes of draining it so it won't go moldy. Also had a trash can with a 40 pound bag of cat food that got wet. DH is trying to figure out how to dry that.
The birds are all hyper and excited. The peafowl are acting really spooked. Poor things had no idea what hit them.

Danz.... where are you located? I do collision work for a living if you are wantig to fix the truck you can get parts cheaper from LKQ I can install them. I have a paint booth at work. Pm me and we can work something out mabye. My shop is in wichita.

My Araucana broody is having a tough time keeping other hens from laying in her nest. In the process, both of the developing eggs have gotten broken. Now her sister Araucana is usurping the nest and the eggs. Tomorrow I'm going to catch them off the nest and clean it out and give them some non-fertile eggs to set on. When the eggs in the incubator start hatching, I'll give some of the chicks to them to raise.

They are sweet little birds, I just wish I had somewhere to move her so she would be isolated from the other hens. I just don't have anywhere to put her. She would hate the cage in the house and the portable is full of Campines. Dang.

Can I ask you to clarify on the "tornado" you saw?  If it didn't touch down, then by definition it wasn't a tornado, only a funnel cloud.  I don't mean to nit-pick here, but I think it's important that people know the difference. 

I locked my chickens in last night as well, even though we weren't really supposed to get anything severe.  I could see storms building around us, and it made me nervous.  They were thrilled to be let out this morning.
[/quote

Wow, thanks so much for pointing out my stupidity. I don't post often but I had always felt welcome before. It won't happen again. :(:he

Danz.... where are you located? I do collision work for a living if you are wantig to fix the truck you can get parts cheaper from LKQ I can install them. I have a paint booth at work. Pm me and we can work something out mabye. My shop is in wichita.

I live up between Burlington and Waverly if that helps tell you any at all. I think the major problem is keeping the insurance company from totaling the vehicle. The damage is at least 4 times the value of the truck now. Not sure we could even buy used parts and come out ahead. Thanks for the offer.
I think it's supposed to be a fairly nice day today. It would sure be nice if some of this mud would dry up. I'm hoping to get some more cleanup done in the yard. I had a barrel of feed that I put in a wagon over a piece of shade cloth to dry out. I hope it is dry enough to feed today. I don't want it getting moldy for sure. I haven't checked my feed bin yet to make sure it stayed dry. We hadn't had any problems with it but this was major storm.
I've got to go get a bunch of chick starter today too. I am down to one bag. It's a long drive over there to get it. I'll have to take the car which will limit me to 10 bags. That means another trip that much sooner.
I've got ducklings and turkeys hatching. I had 11 turkeys hatch yesterday and there are 4 more in the incubator and two ducklings yesterday and there are 7 more in there with another pip. Goslings are due today as well. No rest for the wicked

I live up between Burlington and Waverly if that helps tell you any at all. I think the major problem is keeping the insurance company from totaling the vehicle. The damage is at least 4 times the value of the truck now. Not sure we could even buy used parts and come out ahead. Thanks for the offer.
I think it's supposed to be a fairly nice day today. It would sure be nice if some of this mud would dry up. I'm hoping to get some more cleanup done in the yard. I had a barrel of feed that I put in a wagon over a piece of shade cloth to dry out. I hope it is dry enough to feed today. I don't want it getting moldy for sure. I haven't checked my feed bin yet to make sure it stayed dry. We hadn't had any problems with it but this was major storm.
I've got to go get a bunch of chick starter today too. I am down to one bag. It's a long drive over there to get it. I'll have to take the car which will limit me to 10 bags. That means another trip that much sooner.
I've got ducklings and turkeys hatching. I had 11 turkeys hatch yesterday and there are 4 more in the incubator and two ducklings yesterday and there are 7 more in there with another pip. Goslings are due today as well. No rest for the wicked
Will you know this weekend what the insurance decides about yoru truck?

It's supposed to be cool but sunny here today. It's supposed to rain tonight and there are pretty decent chances of rain through Saturday for us in NW KS with slight chances for Sunday and Monday as well. I'm really hoping we got all the leaky spots in the chicken coop filled after the last big rain. I'd rather not everything get all soppy wet in the coop again. That wasn't much fun.

How's cleanup going for you, Danz?

Well the insurance company got hold of DH and told him it would be Tuesday before they could get out here. He hasn't even attempted to clean up the huge mess in the driveway yet. I guess they got a lot of claims and are running far behind. I don't think it's going to be good news no matter what. The truck is getting up in age and even though it has always been perfect as far as running and being dependable they won't see it that way. He just spent $1400 on new work to the drive shaft and wheels. That will just be a loss. We still don't know if it will run well enough to drive yet even if we can get it repaired. the hood is really dented in deep and of course the whole head light assembly is knocked out so you couldn't use it at night.
I am guessing there's around $6000 in damage if nothing internal is damaged and the truck simply isn't worth any where near that by the books. To me it is but you know insurance companies don't care.
We are supposed to get heavy storms again today with cold winds. But because we are going to be on the cold side of the front there is potentially no fear of tornadoes in this one. I've seen some straight line winds take down a building though so I'm not convinced it will be a picnic. Then Sunday the high will be in the 50s again. I had plans to have one of my little 9 year old chicken friend out Sunday but I'm not going to spend the day inside with her so we'll have to postpone for a week or so. I know she'll be disappointed. I'm just too old to spend the day outside playing in cool air.

I sure hope the summer is better for you, Danz. That's a lot to have happen. Sure hope the storms bypass you this time. I think you've had enough for a while.
th.gif

I sure hope the summer is better for you, Danz. That's a lot to have happen. Sure hope the storms bypass you this time. I think you've had enough for a while.
th.gif

Thanks. My mom used to say my life should be a soap opera but it would never be believable cause no one has that much stuff go wrong on a constant basis. I think Murphy lives with me and keeps his law going!
big_smile.png

Honestly whenever things happen I just remind myself how much worse they could be. I am very blessed to have a life I enjoy,some great siblings, children, and friends. You can't ask for much more than that.

Back
Top Bottom