Consolidated Kansas

I run two groups on FB, I abbreviate it here because BYC doesn't like the mention of any other forum to sell birds. On my groups we have to be very careful not to mention anything monetary & try to stay under the radar. My one group got shut down at one time, but we managed to get it back up. I've had these groups since 2012. It's just a shame that with everything else going on in the world they have to make it hard on farmers. They don't support anything to do with farming or self sufficiency. It's really ridiculous.

Hey there, fellow Kansans! I can't believe I just now found this thread! Maybe I should've looked for a Kansas thread sooner... Oh well.
I live in Wellsville too, like @sentoku at the beginning of this thread. I can't believe how old this thread is and that it's still going!? We've had tons of rain down here, and way more mosquitoes, june bugs, and cicadas than necessary. :sick
How is Kansas' ever-changing weather for you guys?

Hey there, fellow Kansans! I can't believe I just now found this thread! Maybe I should've looked for a Kansas thread sooner... Oh well.
I live in Wellsville too, like @sentoku at the beginning of this thread. I can't believe how old this thread is and that it's still going!? We've had tons of rain down here, and way more mosquitoes, june bugs, and cicadas than necessary. :sick
I was just wondering if anyone would ever say anything on this thread! I haven’t had as much rain this week but the past few have been down pour. I hate it so much. I don’t know what to wear half the time, if I wear long sleeves because the morning is cold, i’ll be cutting off the sleeves because of a hot afternoon. :th

I was just wondering if anyone would ever say anything on this thread! I haven’t had as much rain this week but the past few have been down pour. I hate it so much. I don’t know what to wear half the time, if I wear long sleeves because the morning is cold, i’ll be cutting off the sleeves because of a hot afternoon. :th
HUMIDITY IS THE WORST!!! But hey, that's Kansas for you! :sick :hmm Grin uncomfortably and bear it! Hey, that should be our motto! :)

The weather has been insane the last few years. It just gets more and more severe. I'm not that far from you either. I live near Waverly.
This thread has been going for years and years but the past couple years it has barely been crawling. It slowed way down with the avian influenza breakout and hasn't recovered much since then. Back in the early years it was a very busy thread and lots of the participants posted every day. Now there are only two of us that were part of the old old group.
The worst effects I've had from the weather are loss of vegetation and lack of laying from my birds. They seem to get stressed with the ever changing weather and that makes them stop laying.

Last edited:
It's been a fairly wet summer this year I think for KS. Usually July/August is super dry. I'm in the south central part of the state, almost to the OK border, so way the other direction from you. At least we're not getting the extreme heat & wildfires here that are happening in other places, thank goodness. So what kind of chickens do you have? We always like seeing new people here. We don't have as many people posting here as we used to, some moved to other states & some just check in once in a while. At any rate welcome!

Hi, I'm from up in the Northeast corner of Johnson county, walking distance from Wyandotte county. There are a lot of people up in this area that have chickens, it's just harder to get to know them. I would love to start a "Flock" of chicken owners up here so we could share information, help when someone needs it, make a "co-op" of sorts to share trips to the feed store but haven't been able to get it going. Oh well, maybe some day!

I have been really enjoying this summer - plenty of rain, lower than average temps, the garden is going great!! I hope you all enjoy your summer, soon we will be shivering and wishing for summer :old Guess we are a hard to please bunch!

It's been a fairly wet summer this year I think for KS. Usually July/August is super dry. I'm in the south central part of the state, almost to the OK border, so way the other direction from you. At least we're not getting the extreme heat & wildfires here that are happening in other places, thank goodness. So what kind of chickens do you have? We always like seeing new people here. We don't have as many people posting here as we used to, some moved to other states & some just check in once in a while. At any rate welcome!
Fall time in September and October are my favorite time of the year because things cool down and THE BUGS DIE!! :ya

I do hope this thread becomes more active, too. I have 1 EE roo and 2 hens (1 white one is my fav!), 6 Australorps (we've had broodies like crazy!), 2 RIRs, 3 BRs, 3 Cinnamon Queens, 1 cuckoo Maran, 3 feather-footed Marans, 1 copper Maran, 2 SLWs, 1 BO (my 2nd fav, she's so sweet!), and 3 speckled sussexes. 28 birds in all!

Fall time in September and October are my favorite time of the year because things cool down and THE BUGS DIE!! :ya

I do hope this thread becomes more active, too. I have 1 EE roo and 2 hens (1 white one is my fav!), 6 Australorps (we've had broodies like crazy!), 2 RIRs, 3 BRs, 3 Cinnamon Queens, 1 cuckoo Maran, 3 feather-footed Marans, 1 copper Maran, 2 SLWs, 1 BO (my 2nd fav, she's so sweet!), and 3 speckled sussexes. 28 birds in all!
I agree, I love it when it starts cooling down. I just like to have some fall before it gets really cold. It sounds like you have a good assortment of hens there.

Back
Top Bottom