Consolidated Kansas

That sounds good.... if I remember to baste it. I have a couple late summer hatches that might be subject to going into the pan if they happen to end up being boys.
I just went out...it has gotten much colder and windier!!!
I finally took a picture of my new purple pied peacock. Isn't he pretty? I paid too much for him but he really is a gorgeous bird. He is with my oldest white hen so they should breed this summer.
Click to enlarge.

Last edited:
I just went out to feed and I had lost 14 baby ducks. They were all in a pile. I suspect they got cold and got suffocated. Ouch!! That really hurts. There won't be any profit on this bunch of babies. The others will just pay for the food they've eaten.

I could use some advice on a possibly hurt duck. I went out to let my birds out of the run this morning and noticed that one of my ducks seemed to be limping a bit. I caught her (not an easy feat even with a gimp) and checked her over. I didn't see any sign of trauma and no sign of any injury, except that her left leg was a bit warmer than her right. That could have been because she was standing on one leg with the other up for warmth though (I don't know that she was or wasn't but it is a possibility). The one that is possibly injured is one of my khaki campbells, and I can't tell them apart. I did notice that yesterday, one of the khakis stayed sitting underneath the tree they typically hide under when the others came out for a treat. I'm planning on just waiting and watching. Is there anything else I could/should be doing?
lizzy ~ as you have noticed, ducks are clumsey and they can injure their legs easily. If that is the problem, a little time and she should be fine. If the leg is warmer then it should be, that could indicate swelling, watch for that. And staying separate from the flock can indicate a problem if it continues.

Ducks (and geese) need more niacin than other poultry. If they do not get enough, it can cause them to have problems with their legs. You can add some niacin to their diet easily with some that is intended for people use. Just sprinkle a little from a capsule on their food, or add it to some water. Maybe fresh water in the morning in a small waterer so they won't take a bath in it. I usually just sprinkle it on their food.

A zip tie on her leg (if you catch her again) will help you identify her at a glance. Cut the extra length off so they can't pull it tight.

Danz- It is so simple, the ducks were plucked which is key in this recipe. It really isnt hard to pluck really. It is a low and slow recipe. Wash inside and out, pat dry inside and out. Score the skin in a diamond fashion all over not pirecing the meat.  Salt inside and out, I use roasted garlic, thyme, basil, and paprika. Palce breast side down in a roasting pan cover bake on 300-325 basting every 30 mins. When you take it out to bast it repierce the skin in places first. Just a slanted insert of the knife will do in  20 - 30 spots. After 2 hours fllip the duck and continue basting and piercing after another 1 1/2 - 2 hours the skinshould start to look crisp and brown, turn the heat up to 350 pierce, bast and cook with out the lid for 25 - 30 mins longer.until skin is very brown and very crisp. Let it rest 5-10 mins and carve. I save back all the duck fat it is delicious. I served it with mashed poataoes and used thepan drippings as gravy, lightly because it is rich. I stored the leftovers with the pan drippings and warmed them up ontop of a bed of mashed potatoes for lunch the next day,, even better than the first time. You can also use the duck fat to cook potatoes ina skillet or add instead of butter. It is heavenly.
I love duck! That is good that you are reserving the duck fat. That stuff is pricey if you have to buy it. $12 to $15 a small jar at William-Sonoma. Of course my 14 year old daughter loves to oven roast potatoes in either duck or goose fat and rosemary. Look up Jamie Oliver's recipe online. Yum.

Maidenwolf.. that sounds delish!!!!

I HAVE A BABY SILKIE!!! It's adorable! Right now it's black with a grey chest. Mamma let me pick it right up! I also picked up another of the eggs and heard the baby in there chipping away at the shell! It's so exciting to see life born. :)

I love duck! That is good that you are reserving the duck fat. That stuff is pricey if you have to buy it. $12 to $15 a small jar at William-Sonoma. Of course my 14 year old daughter loves to oven roast potatoes in either duck or goose fat and rosemary. Look up Jamie Oliver's recipe online. Yum.
I love doing potatoes in it. But I havent added rosemary sounds great. I have never had goose, that is my next try.

Danz, I'm so sorry about your little ducks! Do you just hatch all year round? I love that peacock, he's just beautiful! So you should get some pied & some just white from those right? I still would like to find some Opal Black Shoulder chicks next spring.

tweety, congrats on the baby! Isn't it fun to see the little chicks. I just don't think there is much cuter than a baby chick, fluffy little things. I will be hatching more chicks in the spring, I had a lot of fun last year hatching, so this year should be even better, that is if I can get my DH to get my breeder coop done. Grrrr, I'm getting really aggravated at him again because he doesn't understand that you just can't wait until spring & move birds into new pens & expect them to lay right off the bat. He's going to ruin all my plans for the spring if this coop doesn't get done.

I feel drained again tonight, I have been working my butt off out there trying to get things done before the cold gets here. The pens should all be good for awhile hopefully. Tomorrow though I have to go out & clean out at least some of the rabbit trays again. Those rabbits sure do produce a lot of poop to put it plainly. You wouldn't think as small as they are that they would put out so much, but they do.

I had to leave 4 of the guineas out tonight because they're up in the trees & won't come down, I hope they're still here in the morning. Two of them came down & went in, but I couldn't entice the rest to come down. You would think they would get tired of sitting up in the tree, but they spend hours up there, silly birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom