Consolidated Kansas

Heather I had researched all those parameters for the Sweeter heater and the ecoglow. A lot depends on the size you buy. If you are doing the small one the eco glow is better for sure, at sale prices and energy consumption. But when you get into the larger sizes I can see the Sweeter heater having advantages. I've read on here and other places that once the chicks start growing the eco glow needs to be propped up on something. You can do the same thing with the sweeter heater. Of course I am looking at it from the prospect of brooding as many chicks as I can at a time. I can't see where the 20 chick unit would ever work for me at all. And if you buy the larger unit you pay a lot more for shipping on the ecoglow. Ecoglow is on sale right now which makes it slightly cheaper but normal prices are higher than the Sweeter heater. If you had a sale price and coupons you might be able to make a sweet deal.
I'll probably stick to my bulbs in the interest of saving money. I always wire the fixture in place so I feel pretty safe.
Staying up late and working didn't really have any advantages. I just slept later today. I'm a hurting unit but need to get back to work in a bit.
Retailmenot.com usually has online coupon codes for brinsea

Mine are all out in the rain today, seeming to delight in it. I'd be worried if it were colder, and the cold is on the way, but its still been pretty warm so far. They just shake off the rain and get on with their hunting/pecking. Danny, my pyr, is also out delighting in the rain. He and the chickens seem to be fairly water resistant - can just shake the rain out.
My short haired dog doesn't have that, so she's been whimpering in the dog house while Danny is out strutting his stuff in the rain. Sara

Been working hard and the chickens got ignored. I just came up for a mini coffee break and to run some food and water to a couple houses. I hate the rain but love that we are getting some. I think we actually got about an inch of it today. It's darned cold out there though. I'll have to get our first thing in the morning and give all the birds a good feeding and watering. I hope they forgive me today.
My silly albino turkey girl looks like she was rolled in the mud. Poor thing. She was sitting on top of a nest box where I have some lights. I think she was cold.
Well back to the grind.

Maidenwolf after looking at these chicks again you could very well have some silver laced and gold laced Wyandottes there. I just noticed the eye make up. The one you said white cochin looks more like a buff cochin.
Hawkeye I remember your bands. I don't have anywhere near here to get them. I have lots of the metal numbered bands on hand. I just might have to change them out later if they grow a lot. Other than that I have little colored tywraps I could use to identify breeds, but I really want to get more organized with the numbering system so I can track breeding in the expensive birds later. I figured if I did it all at once then I wouldn't put it off later. I really want to use sequential numbers so I can just look at a number and use a spread sheet to identify the bird. It would help with my NPIP records as well.
Spooncreek I have copper Marans but won't have new chicks until late spring. A true chocolate orpington would be a bantam, but I see several project orpingtons where they are breeding chocolate to black large fowl and getting a certain number of chocolate colored birds from the mating. I know several people are working on this project. The problem is the offspring won't produce 100% chocolate chicks without breeding and culling for a few generations. If it were me I'd wait a year or so and let the breeding catch up to get nicer chocolates. But then when it comes to Orpingtons I am getting more and more picky. I do have some plain old small hatchery buffs though, and they are great birds. I'm not a bird snob for sure.
Chickendanz Sorry for the delayed response took advantage of the nice weather to get things done anyhow keep me in mind for that hatching of marans that would be perfect timing
ya.gif
I have buffs also hatchery and a few sq girls that are turning out to be amazing mabey I will wait on the chocolates like you said good info thanks!

Trish, thanks for the tip about looking on Amazon for the EcoGlows. Strangely, the 20 is currently $10 cheaper on Amazon than on the Brinsea site and with free shipping that is a super good deal. Unfortunately the 50 is quite a bit more expensive, and that is the one I was planning to get. However the 20 is listed as sold out and you can order it but it won't be shipped until they have it back in stock - hopefully they won't raise the price on it once they have it back in. Now I'm half wondering if I shouldn't get two 20's instead of one 50. That would give me the option to only use one if I have a smaller batch, but use both for larger batches. Hmmm....hard to know what to do.

Does anyone know how much the shipping is from Brinsea? I tried putting one in my cart and going to checkout but I guess they don't show the shipping amount until later in the process and I wasn't ready to take it that far.

I bought me a second EcoGlow on Ebay and asked the guy before bidding if he'd give me free shipping - he did! Doesn't hurt to ask. I saved $19.

I bought me a second EcoGlow on Ebay and asked the guy before bidding if he'd give me free shipping - he did! Doesn't hurt to ask. I saved $19.

HeChicken - meant to tell you about the amazon 20 - I ordered it and waited 3 weeks (knowing it was out of stock) I called and they said they have no idea who long something can take once it is out of stock. After waiting 3 weeks and still not knowing when, or if, I'd ever get it.. that is when I checked ebay. The one I bought is brand new with original packaging,etc. I paid a total of $59.00

Back
Top Bottom