Consolidated Kansas

Johnson grass is considered a noxious weed and if you have it on your property you can be fined for not killing it or charged by the county if they have to kill it.
Quote from the Kansas Noxious weed Dept:
Home > Kansas Noxious Weed Control Program
Noxious Weed Control Program​

The Kansas Noxious Weed Law was first enacted in 1937. It requires the control, management and eradication of the following 12 plants designated as noxious weeds by the Kansas Legislature.
Kansas Noxious Weeds
Field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis)
Musk (nodding) thistle (Carduus nutans)
Sericea lespedeza (Lespedeza cuneata)
Russian knapweed (Centaurea repens)
Hoary cress (Cardaria draba)
Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense)
Quackgrass (Agropyron repens)
Leafy spurge (Euphorbia esula)
Johnsongrass (Sorghum halepense)
Kudzu (Pueraria lobata)
Bur ragweed (Ambrosia grayii)
Pignut (Hoffmannseggia densiflora)

County Option Weeds:
Multiflora rose (Rosa multiflora)
Bull thistle (Cirsium vulgare)
The law assigns specific responsibilities to the three groups listed below:
Landowners

All landowners, both public and private, are required to control and eradicate all noxious weeds on lands that they own or manage.

You say " hey are you done with my whatever? I'm going to be needing it "
I'm gonna skip all the "if it upsets them to return something"
If they really are using it all the time, and cannot afford to buy their own. Then I would try to help them figure out how to get along without it. That way your not simply leaving them swinging in the wind.

Danz-have you ever heard of any of that being enforced?
Around here there is ALOT of ragweed, as well as many others on that list. There are a lot of properties, including state & federal owned reserves that are completely uncared for with noxious weeds growing rampant.

If they really are using it all the time, and cannot afford to buy their own. Then I would try to help them figure out how to get along without it. That way your not simply leaving them swinging in the wind.
Sometimes I wish BYC had a "like" button :)

Yes I have. I rented a place here in Kansas. It especially sticks in my mind because it was stressful. The county came out and sprayed a field for Johnson Grass and then sent me a bill for several hundred dollars. It wasn't my property so thank goodness I finally got it sent to the land owners.
At least around this area it is highly enforced... One neighbor across the road was ordered to kill his entire milo crop last year because the content of Johnson grass was too high. He just plowed it under and sprayed it.
I just bought roundup so I could control some that has sprung up in one area here. Another person I know was fined for having lespadeza.
My son worked for the county Extension one year and his job was to go out and chop down and spray thistle for them on property that had been identified as having noxious weeds. These incidents have happened in three different counties...in this case Lyon, Morris, and Coffey counties. So at least in this part of Kansas it is enforced. I think they tend to ignore some of their own county or city owned property more so than other people's property. Ragweed is something I don't know of them addressing and I wish they would. I am dangerously allergic to it.

Johnson grass is considered a noxious weed and if you have it on your property you can be fined for not killing it or charged by the county if they have to kill it.
Quote from the Kansas Noxious weed Dept:
Home > Kansas Noxious Weed Control Program
Noxious Weed Control Program​

The Kansas Noxious Weed Law was first enacted in 1937. It requires the control, management and eradication of the following 12 plants designated as noxious weeds by the Kansas Legislature.
Kansas Noxious Weeds
Field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis)
Musk (nodding) thistle (Carduus nutans)
Sericea lespedeza (Lespedeza cuneata)
Russian knapweed (Centaurea repens)
Hoary cress (Cardaria draba)
Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense)
Quackgrass (Agropyron repens)
Leafy spurge (Euphorbia esula)
Johnsongrass (Sorghum halepense)
Kudzu (Pueraria lobata)
Bur ragweed (Ambrosia grayii)
Pignut (Hoffmannseggia densiflora)

County Option Weeds:
Multiflora rose (Rosa multiflora)
Bull thistle (Cirsium vulgare)
The law assigns specific responsibilities to the three groups listed below:
Landowners

All landowners, both public and private, are required to control and eradicate all noxious weeds on lands that they own or manage.
Good thing it is only contained in the fenced area - it isn't anywhere else... my BF disced up that area before we put the fence in and Johnson Grass grew up in it! But we don't have it anywhere else..

Whew, all this talk of Johnson grass, I had to go check what will be the pasture. I didn't see stands of grass with the prominent white stem, thank goodness. I think it is mostly native. I was worried because it had been used as something of a wasteland for the previous owners. I will keep an eye out, though. Thanks all who posted about it! This site is just full of great information from folks who I appreciate that they are taking their time to help.

Now if all the Johnson grass, rag weed, chickabiddy, horse weed, pigweed, cuckleburrs, sticktights, whatever that native cactus is, etc. would just disappear life would be grand. I wish I could re-establish clover here. It used to dominate everything and I hated it. One year with birds and there was no clover any more. I hate the way it creeps everywhere but the honey bees need it and the birds love it.

bow.gif
That's awesome. No judgments or recriminations. I know several people who don't return things quickly. It's usually just that they have put it aside somewhere and don't think of it again. Sometimes they don't remember they ever borrowed it.

Back
Top Bottom