Consolidated Kansas

I kill the black snakes around here. They can be very aggressive, eat eggs and chicks. I wish they would just eat these nuclear mice we have. Nothing seems to kill them!!!
Busy busy day today but I hope it will be the end of bird selling for awhile other than chicks. Probably about Tuesday I'll start advertising chicks. I can't keep feeding them and I really need room so they have to go soon.
I got the ducks sold yesterday so hopefully the feed bill will start going down. I am down to just one barrel of feed though and that only lasts about 2 days.
Maidenwolf it was so good to see you again and I was happy to meet your beautiful daughter and your husband. I hope the birds are doing well. I can see you daughter is going to be a gentle soul like you.
I lost two peachicks yesterday. They were out of a very young pair. I haven't had time to watch to make sure they were eating so it's probably my fault. They were only a couple days old. I've got to get back to normal routine soon.
I've got to be in Topeka tomorrow even though I really need to be at home. Things come at the most inopportune times.
I am so ready for things to slow down and have some time to myself again.
Well I'd better get moving. I have things to get ready before we start butchering.
Maybe this evening I can crash early.
It was so nice to be out there and get the tour. My daughter just loved it and I don't think my hubby minded either
wink.png
.. All birds are doing great and all are my daughters new loves
love.gif
especially her new friend "Reaper" the cochin/polish, he has warmed up to her and runs to her for safety. I hope your day went smoothly today and you were able to sell your other beautiful groups of birds to people who will care for them as much as you did.

Hi all i have two cream leg bars i got from danzdurring this heat wave thwy laid what i think might have been a soft egg? But im not sure has the texture of cooked pasta whiteish...all broken up Just wordering if thats normal when chickens are getting ajusted?

They were laying beautiful blue eggs before they left. Not a daily thing with them though yet, cause thye just started laying. I'd say if it is a soft egg it is probably more due to just being young. Often when hens start laying they have soft shelled eggs now and then, then again when they are at the end of their laying cycle. Once in a while they will in between as well like when they are going into molt. I'd expect at least a 2-3 week delay after being moved before they lay again. That is typical for all girls when they get moved. Make sure they are on layer ration and get plenty of calcium right now.
I had a terrible night. Leg cramps and nightmares all night. I think I worked too hard yesterday and probably didn't drink enough. I went out to let birds out to range this morning and there sure doesn't seem to be very many out there.
I'm still rooster heavy and wish I could put the extras in a pen together. I don't want to eliminate the back up boys.
Now that I am down to a minimum number of birds I need to start organizing and planning where to put each breed. It won't be long before time to get started on fall hatching. Maybe I'll luck out and get my excess chicks sold so I have room for them when they get here. It's time to scour out and clean all the buildings. That won't be an easy job. I want to add some dirt to some of the pens as well to build them up in hopes of keeping them a little drier.
I think I have to be gone this afternoon so I many not have time to do anything today.
Now that so many birds are gone I may have to mow the grass!!

We had 2 eggs in the cage we hauled the girls in when we got home! LOL

As everyone read, we went and picked up I think all of Danz Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons.

Which means, now WE have too many of them! LOL

Anyone interested let me know, we need to sell some chicks!

Danz has done a great job with these birds, they are beautiful and freindly!

When we got them into their new home, I had a few of the young pullets literally come up to me and I swear they asked to be picked up!

As you know our flock has increased greatly,lol i was wondering if anyone could tell me what good treats the chickens would love to eat, beside bread and sunflower seeds and watermelons?

oh yeah i told rooster i was going to say this in a post...rooster is now cut off from buying anymore chickens, roosters or any type of birds..and yes saddly to say even my ducks that i love so much....rofl.....

Cucumbers!! They love them. Find a friend with a garden and they always have too many cucumbers. I don't eat many and I grow them just for the birds. Anything green is in their list of favorites. Tomatoes are big too but they often are afraid of them until they get the first taste. Green pepper seeds are another favorite. Rooster don't forget to baby my best buddy in amongst all those nice young girls.
Maidenwolf I really wish you and your daughter could have come before I sold all those birds. I had so many that are gone now that I know your daughter would have loved.
Sure hope you have a good hatch as well. I had another 20 eggs in the Swedish Flower Hen pen yesterday. Those went with the adults.
That one broody gal was not happy when I plucked her off her nest.
I did get a beautiful trio of young coronation sussex in trade for some of the birds. Not that I needed them but my friend had been saving them for me. They are 5 months old and had never been outside before yesterday. Just gorgeous.
I have always hated wasting pen space and coops on just a few birds but I am thinking maybe 3-6 of the breeds I have left is probably plenty. Less to feed and I can still produce some chicks.
It's going to be really hard to control myself!
I have to get ready to go to Topeka for a hearing this afternoon. I keep praying the phone will ring and it will be cancelled. No luck yet!!

We had 2 eggs in the cage we hauled the girls in when we got home! LOL

As everyone read, we went and picked up I think all of Danz Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons.

Which means, now WE have too many of them! LOL

Anyone interested let me know, we need to sell some chicks!

Danz has done a great job with these birds, they are beautiful and freindly!

When we got them into their new home, I had a few of the young pullets literally come up to me and I swear they asked to be picked up!
I would so love to take a few of those off your hands, but I'm so new to this and want to build slow. Plus, the more birds my back yard has the more likely my neighbors are to complain.

We have our brahmas reasonably tamed, but the three buff orpington's we bought as 14 weekers avoid us like the plague. I can't hardly get them out of the coop for that matter. Well tamed would be so nice for new birds.

Back
Top Bottom