Consolidated Kansas

I would so love to take a few of those off your hands, but I'm so new to this and want to build slow. Plus, the more birds my back yard has the more likely my neighbors are to complain.

We have our brahmas reasonably tamed, but the three buff orpington's we bought as 14 weekers avoid us like the plague. I can't hardly get them out of the coop for that matter. Well tamed would be so nice for new birds.

Well we will have them for quite some time, lol

Hi all i have two cream leg bars i got from danzdurring this heat wave thwy laid what i think might have been a soft egg? But im not sure has the texture of cooked pasta whiteish...all broken up Just wordering if thats normal when chickens are getting ajusted?
Mine occasionally lay soft or no shell eggs. Its a mess but will correct itself. May also be stress from heat and moving. Good luck
They were laying beautiful blue eggs before they left. Not a daily thing with them though yet, cause thye just started laying. I'd say if it is a soft egg it is probably more due to just being young. Often when hens start laying they have soft shelled eggs now and then, then again when they are at the end of their laying cycle. Once in a while they will in between as well like when they are going into molt. I'd expect at least a 2-3 week delay after being moved before they lay again. That is typical for all girls when they get moved. Make sure they are on layer ration and get plenty of calcium right now.
I had a terrible night. Leg cramps and nightmares all night. I think I worked too hard yesterday and probably didn't drink enough. I went out to let birds out to range this morning and there sure doesn't seem to be very many out there.
I'm still rooster heavy and wish I could put the extras in a pen together. I don't want to eliminate the back up boys.
Now that I am down to a minimum number of birds I need to start organizing and planning where to put each breed. It won't be long before time to get started on fall hatching. Maybe I'll luck out and get my excess chicks sold so I have room for them when they get here. It's time to scour out and clean all the buildings. That won't be an easy job. I want to add some dirt to some of the pens as well to build them up in hopes of keeping them a little drier.
I think I have to be gone this afternoon so I many not have time to do anything today.
Now that so many birds are gone I may have to mow the grass!!
I know it will take awhile for you to adjust. It must be scary and stressful to thin down so much whether it is needed or not. I know you love your birds like I love mine. I know it is hard, but it will be better in the long run.
As you know our flock has increased greatly,lol i was wondering if anyone could tell me what good treats the chickens would love to eat, beside bread and sunflower seeds and watermelons?
Mine love fruits and veggies. Apples are a fav, any melon, pumpkins in the fall, I used to grow them just for the birds. Any left over you have, mine love noodles. Yogurt is always a good treat. and if you freeze some yogurt it will keep them busy
Cucumbers!! They love them. Find a friend with a garden and they always have too many cucumbers. I don't eat many and I grow them just for the birds. Anything green is in their list of favorites. Tomatoes are big too but they often are afraid of them until they get the first taste. Green pepper seeds are another favorite. Rooster don't forget to baby my best buddy in amongst all those nice young girls.
Maidenwolf I really wish you and your daughter could have come before I sold all those birds. I had so many that are gone now that I know your daughter would have loved.
Sure hope you have a good hatch as well. I had another 20 eggs in the Swedish Flower Hen pen yesterday. Those went with the adults.
That one broody gal was not happy when I plucked her off her nest.
I did get a beautiful trio of young coronation sussex in trade for some of the birds. Not that I needed them but my friend had been saving them for me. They are 5 months old and had never been outside before yesterday. Just gorgeous.
I have always hated wasting pen space and coops on just a few birds but I am thinking maybe 3-6 of the breeds I have left is probably plenty. Less to feed and I can still produce some chicks.
It's going to be really hard to control myself!
I have to get ready to go to Topeka for a hearing this afternoon. I keep praying the phone will ring and it will be cancelled. No luck y
Heidi just loves these little favorelle/brahma chicks and is super excited to have the lavenders and lemon cuckoo and Swedish flowers. She is a chicken nut like us and gets excited over a new breed.

Anybody know when a rooster should start to breed? Because both of my polish tipsters have yet to crow or make a move on there lady freinds and they are already a year!!!

I had a terrible night. Leg cramps and nightmares all night. I think I worked too hard yesterday and probably didn't drink enough. I went out to let birds out to range this morning and there sure doesn't seem to be very many out there.

Take care of yourself; it won't help if you collapse in dry heap! I have the same tendency not to drink enough when I'm working; DH is always reminding me. Consider yourself reminded.
smile.png

As you know our flock has increased greatly,lol i was wondering if anyone could tell me what good treats the chickens would love to eat, beside bread and sunflower seeds and watermelons?

Anything with seeds. As danz said, cucumbers, tomatoes, the insides of bell peppers, apples. Mine like kale quite a bit, too. They love bananas and blueberries.

I have to get ready to go to Topeka for a hearing this afternoon. I keep praying the phone will ring and it will be cancelled. No luck yet!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that things go the way you want them to.

Well it was deff a soft egg i found two of them this am one on the nest box one in nest box in the hopes it was a soft egg i crunched up egg shells really fine in the food processer and put thoes on the girls bench they do have layer food on the bench but the babies are still eating chick feed so ive comprimised and just mixed the two if its down where the babies (6weeks old) can reach does any one have any better ideas on how to get both what they need..? I cant really seperate them as i only have one run 20+20 It was pretty funny the other day i put one of my sons plasic eggs into the nest box thinking i had heard that would show them where to lay then i found it on the floor so i put it in again the girls proptly went over and kicked it out !lol apperantly plasic eggs just dont make the cut! also if any one has ideas on increaseing calcium cheap i would like to hear it bf gets paid thurs. So i could buy something then also danz if you eat a food high in potassium when there is a chance you did not drink enough it will prevent leg cramps ie,, spinich, strawberries, dandilion leaves, kiwi fruit , banannas are all exe. Sources of potassium... Another rainy day in wichita corraled the heard back into the garage .

Cleansquared - Put the layers feed too high for chicks to reach, and the chicks feed where the layers cant reach...partition off part of the coop with a small "entrance" that only the chicks fit through.

I have done that the babies sleep under the work shelf their baby only food is under there and the big girls sleep on top of the bench with big girl layer feed the problem comes out in the run where ive just mixed the two will they all get enough food if i just pull food from the run altogether and only have it in the garage where i can seperate them? I can leave the garage door open so they can come in if they like my bf thought they wouldnt get enough food if we didnt put food in the run also we r both new at chickens so any help is appreciated..

Sounds like you have it covered Cleansquared. The only thing you really need to worry about it having the young birds eat too much of the layer feed. It is bad for them to get too much calcium until they are closer to laying age.

Back
Top Bottom