Consolidated Kansas

Sounds like damage from a Tom. They will often rip the sides of the hens. If you have some blue kote just spray the area. She will probably pick on it some herself. If you can separate her to let her heal that is best. Limit exposure to the Tom.

Hey all I was sent a warning by the mod on here that we can't post links to FB or post things for sale. I'm just going to copy you what she sent me so you all know.

This message is to remind you of our forum rules which can be found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service

Please specifically look over "Rule # 7 regarding Advertising and use of our Buy Sell Trade system". A few reminders:

Here are our guidelines for signature line links. None of these are permitted in the body of a post. We have removed the links from your post.

1) We don't allow linking to any other message boards, yahoo groups and Facebook groups.
2) We do allow Personal (non business related) Facebook links or blogs.
3) We allow business links, but only for Platinum Poultry Members.
4) We do not allow links to off-site auctions or competing selling sites.

We work hard to ensure our wonderful community maintains a tone of friendliness, respect, and comfort. If after reviewing our forum rules you still have questions, please reply to this message with your questions.

Regards,

The BYC Moderation Team

Sounds like damage from a Tom. They will often rip the sides of the hens. If you have some blue kote just spray the area. She will probably pick on it some herself. If you can separate her to let her heal that is best. Limit exposure to the Tom.
Thank you., I don't have any blue kote., but I will try some neosporin., this evening., again thank you., and I will let you know how it goes...

my feelings are that your eggs will probably hatch a day late due to the temperatures when she started brooding, if you can place a cage over her or build temporary protection I would leave her where she is. If you lose one chick that may be better than losing them all. A first time broody is likely to be just as good as an older one, the mother instinct is very strong in all of them. If the eggs have started peeping and they probably have the mother will be truly tied to that spot

my feelings are that your eggs will probably hatch a day late due to the temperatures when she started brooding, if you can place a cage over her or build temporary protection I would leave her where she is. If you lose one chick that may be better than losing them all. A first time broody is likely to be just as good as an older one, the mother instinct is very strong in all of them. If the eggs have started peeping and they probably have the mother will be truly tied to that spot
My situation doesn't allow for separation at all. In addition she is in a raised nest box. 20/20 hindsight. I should have moved her before I let her keep any eggs. Oh, well. She only has 3 that are still developing. I think I'll try moving them with her tonight after it gets dark. (I think I'll sneak in a candle at that time) I can pre-warm the nest box with a heat pad for a few minutes then take it out and put the eggs in. She won't be happy, but I'm hoping she won't move since it will be dark in the coop. you are no doubt right, and I should have dealt with this 17 days ago. Too soon old, too late smart. If she will stay put they will all be safe as they hatch (if they hatch).

I wanted to tell everyone hello! i have not been around much but still stopping in every once in a while.

I have had my broody chicken for 3 plus weeks now and will giving her a few eggs this Wednesday for her to hatch. I do not plan on leaving the babies with her, but re-homing them after they hatch..Will this work for breaking her of being broody for now, or does she actually need to raise them as well..

I am not sure how to allow her to raise them because they are in a raised coop with a platform and ramp . There would be no way for the babies to get in and out of the coop without human help.

Will I need to do anything with the eggs after giving them to her, or do I just watch to make sure she is turning them regularly?

Wow,busy thread today,that' great.
Danz & Josichick- thanks, I'll try to put some Nustock on her , I don't have any pine tar right now. They have a kiddy pool but its not very deep, most of the time he won't let her share the pool when he's in it . (goofy birds)
I'm surprised people are burning . You wouldn't plant tomatoes if it was snowing - why would you burn when there is wind and its so dry! duh.

Back
Top Bottom