Consolidated Kansas

Do you have somewhere to take him in & isolate him? I would just watch him & see if any other symptoms develop. I know danz is really busy so I don't know if she'll have time to stop in.

He shakes his head a lot and now he's just letting it droop and it drops almost to the ground and then he'll shake it and put it up again. Repeat. Here's a couple pics.

He shakes his head a lot and now he's just letting it droop and it drops almost to the ground and then he'll shake it and put it up again. Repeat. Here's a couple pics.

Sounds like he maybe having respiratory issue. If you could isolate him, and keep him in a dry place please do so. Just don't want your other birds get what he has. If you have VetRx, put some on his nostrils and some in the water. See if that helps. If it doesn't, he may need antibiotics. Danz or Hechicken has more knowledge about it so hopefully they will chime in soon.

I hope he pulls through.

Quote: My cats used to be really predatory on the babies in the house. But they learned in time that they weren't the same. They never give the chicks a second look. The new cats are getting used to all this. It's the young one I worry about because he chases and catches anything that he can. It's all something to play with. I hope he gets a few good floggings and learns to leave them alone. I wouldn't trust a non-famiy cat with young birds though.
Help!! It rained over 2" last night and this morning and this afternoon when I went and let my chickens out my rooster looked beyond miserable. His comb is sort of blueish and so are his wattles. He's sort of slow and altho he's out free ranging now he still looks miserable. It's been super hot here until a couple days ago. Could he be cold or what? He's a lovely silver laced wyandotte and I don't want to loose him!!
sad.png
I am guessing one or two things with your rooster, However it doesn't sound promising for him. Shaking of the head and the blue comb indicates severe congestion and breathing problems. The other thing could be something caught in his throat. You might try dropping some veggie oil down his throat and see if that slowly helps anything. Even if it is something in his throat and it helps he will probably need to be isolated and given some medication because it will damage his esophagus.
With the extreme heat we had, it throws off their chemistry and reduces their immune system. So any little bacteria or bug that comes through can infect them. VetRX is excellent if you have no medication. If you don't have vetRX even simple Vicks vapor rub on his beak might help some. Also try to give some yogurt and mix some pedialite or gatoraid in his water. Also once separated look at his poop. If it is white or bright yellow he is in really big trouble. If at all possible be sure to keep him warm. Even if it means just putting a normal light bulb over him.
I was gone all day and it rained some. I think we probably got about 1/2inch. I am thrilled. I came home and spent two and half hours feeding and watering and I barely fed them. I have got to sell some birds.
I also had a tray of babies that hatched while I was gone. At least they are all just valuable ones or those I was hatching for someone wanting to buy.
I've got several more days of stuff to take care of. Maybe next week I'll have a little down time.

Oh boy saw what I think was a hawk flying low over my backyard tonight... luckily all my babies were put up... Really hoping I am mistaken though.. pretty big bird though.. as far as the cat goes after I chased him away from my yard I didn't see him again.. but my ducklings will be in the house unless I am home they are only 12 days old... getting bigger but still young

adventurousone, I would go get some Tylan injectable from the farm store & some syringes tomorrow & give the rooster a shot of it. He does sound like now he's got a respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom