Consolidated Kansas

@chicken danz - you're right, we are enjoying the chicks. We've done chicks a number of times before, but its totally different with a mamma hen. We start talking to her, and there is some straw rustling, then a little head or two pops out, before much longer all three are out walking around. I took her some left-over, cooked oatmeal today after breakfast and the chicks were working to get some scraps of what she didn't eat. It's been so nice to not have to worry about exact temperatures and things, letting mamma hen do the work has made things much easier so far. I think I'll keep them in the smaller enclosure for a couple of weeks before starting the integration process. For some reason, all of my other birds seem to prefer eating and drinking in the small pen. So, once I open things up the whole group will be in and out of there, hopefully acclimating everyone to each other eventually.

lizzy, those are great pics of Ethan, he looks like he was having a blast! Yes time does fly, way too fast.

It's really dreary here today, I sure hope it clears up before long.

Zig I knew you would really enjoy watching the chicks with the hen. It's awesome. The only downfall around here is they are never contained in a pen and we lose a good percentage of the babies. The only ones around here that I let go broody are the egg layers and they free range all the time.
Lizzy, Ethan is adorable! Makes me want a grandson so bad! I really wish you and your DH would transfer over this direction. I would be begging to babysit for sure.
Well my daughter flew back to Austin yesterday so I am trying to get back to normal today. I have customers coming the next several days in a row. That's great, but of course it also means juggling schedules and activities to make time for them. No one just comes and buys a couple birds and then they leave. They all want to look at all the birds and it always takes a couple hours. It does help me sell some, but it keeps me from getting necessary work done as well.

I've got to ask @chicken danz - why do you loose babies that are broody hatched? I'm wondering if there is something I need to be careful/aware of. I'm leaving the shed door open today hoping they explore a bit and letting the other birds be around them. Maybe that's not a good idea.

It's just because they are being raised in natural circumstances rather than the protected environment we provide. I doubt you'll have that problem because your birds will still be contained to some degree. The hen goes out and scratches around to find them food etc, and if she has a big bunch, the chicks sometimes venture out a little far. She moves along searching for food etc and the adventurous chicks sometimes get lost expire from being in the elements alone.
My broody chicks don't have medicated feed like the others so they are more susceptible to getting things like coccidiosis as well. If it is dry out and they don't have a waterer where they nest at night the chicks will thirst to death. I've had some hens lay up in the ceiling of the barn, then die because the chicks had no way to get water. If you think about nature, animals have multiples of babies because it is natural to loose a large percentage of them. Nature just naturally has a check and balance system to keep populations high or low depending on the food chain. When we intervene that changes the odds of the way nature works.
So therefore if a broody is left to natural means you just loose some birds you wouldn't loose if they were cared for by humans.

It's just because they are being raised in natural circumstances rather than the protected environment we provide. I doubt you'll have that problem because your birds will still be contained to some degree. The hen goes out and scratches around to find them food etc, and if she has a big bunch, the chicks sometimes venture out a little far. She moves along searching for food etc and the adventurous chicks sometimes get lost expire from being in the elements alone.
My broody chicks don't have medicated feed like the others so they are more susceptible to getting things like coccidiosis as well. If it is dry out and they don't have a waterer where they nest at night the chicks will thirst to death. I've had some hens lay up in the ceiling of the barn, then die because the chicks had no way to get water. If you think about nature, animals have multiples of babies because it is natural to loose a large percentage of them. Nature just naturally has a check and balance system to keep populations high or low depending on the food chain. When we intervene that changes the odds of the way nature works.
So therefore if a broody is left to natural means you just loose some birds you wouldn't loose if they were cared for by humans.
Thanks. That makes sense.

At what age is this done?
I feel am learning a practice that has been lost.  Yes it is definitely great for meat.  I won't have to support the practices of hatcheries any longer, or be on a time scheduled for butchering (as with a bird bred just for meat).   

I will be able to give my my heritage bred roos a longer life span.  They can stay with the flock without causing any problems.  

Some will be sold as pets to people that live in areas where cockerels are banned.  A caponed rooster will not crow, mount hens, or fight.  The capons will still look like a roo everywhere but in the comb and wattles, they will stay smaller and pink like a pullet.  

My capons are recovering perfectly and if they had their way they would already be out with the flock!  

I was taught by an experienced practicioner that the ideal is between 8 and 12 weeks.  It can be done on older birds but the risk is much greater.  This is a surgical precedure and I don't recomend trying it without someone experienced in the precedure.  There is a caponizing thread here if you would like further information.  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/675898/graphic-pics-of-my-day-learning-to-caponize

Thanks. I definitely don't want to do it but it is interesting. I've had some roosters that I really like but I live in Wichita so I couldn't keep them. Would be kind of cool to have this done to some in the future if available.

Thanks. I definitely don't want to do it but it is interesting. I've had some roosters that I really like but I live in Wichita so I couldn't keep them. Would be kind of cool to have this done to some in the future if available.

I will have some mix breed capons available for sale in the Spring (Buff Brahma roo/varity of hens). Hopefully I will have various full breeds available by next Summer or Fall.

Back
Top Bottom