Consolidated Kansas

Also if anyone wants a stud for a female lgd, I have a great male dog. He is loving with children, has a great attitude and is a great guardian to my birdies.

He is 3/4 pyr, 1/8 Anatolian so has a cute black mask, and 1/8 maremma. He is 5 and would love to have one of his pups while he is young enough to teach him/her.

Oh and let me introduce myself, I am Jill and live in Belleville, right on junction of hiway 81 and 36.

I have silkies, and orpingtons(who are ancient-need new blood), and peacocks.

Last edited:
Yeah the same here Trish. I used to keep a salt block out for the deer cause I enjoyed seeing them but they were notorious for eating what I didn't want them to. Between the deer and the wild turkeys nothing went unscathed. I can still watch them down the road or in the field across the road so I'm happy with that. The deer got so used to us that they would look up but didn't run when we went out the door. I must admit it was a nice thing to see out my kitchen window.

Ours have come up within 25 feet and don't run off. It's funny, when the feeder is empty they will stand there looking at us until I take a bucket of corn out for them. Momma will back off about 50 feet and the young ones will run up to me. They start feeding as soon as I am only a few feet back from the feeder.

This picture is before they started getting tame.

Also if anyone wants a stud for a female lgd, I have a great male dog. He is loving with children, has a great attitude and is a great guardian to my birdies.

He is 3/4 pyr, 1/8 Anatolian so has a cute black mask, and 1/8 maremma. He is 5 and would love to have one of his pups while he is young enough to teach him/her.

Oh and let me introduce myself, I am Jill and live in Belleville, right on junction of hiway 81 and 36.

Beautiful dog! We really like the mask. And welcome to the Consolidated Kansas thread!

Thank you, kskingbee. I think it odd that a pyr(white dog) plus Anatolian(light brownish dog with dark face) equals black and white spotted pups! But they are all lgd's.
I don't have any Cochins anymore but I do have broody birds all the time. I will see if I have anything in the spring to incubate those pea eggs.

Welcome!! That's a good looking dog!!

Willow decided she didn't feel like eating today again. Guess we'll see how she does tomorrow. I'm going to call my vet and see what he thinks. London and she have bonded well already. He adores her! :)

Willow and London. He's about 7 months and she's over a year. I think she's got a case of fleas or something; she's very itchy. :( A bath will be in order as soon as it's warm enough.

Trying to figure out when I should purchase chicks. I've been looking through posts and it seems like 5 to 8 weeks is the general time frame for keeping them inside. So would it be practical to get them in mid Feb?
Also, it seems the hatchery minimum shipping is 15. (I am currently looking at cackle hatchery just because I'm trying to find some place close that has Black Australorp...I'm open to suggestions.) Anyway....whenever, wherever I get them.....I have a large garden style bathtub in our master bath that we don't use because we both prefer the shower. Would that be an appropriate size and place to keep 15 or so baby chicks for 5 to 8 weeks? We have grandchildren living with us and I want to be sure the chicks aren't played with.

So I guess this is three questions:
When to order?
Who to order from?
Will bathtub work for living arrangement until they are big enough to go outside?

Trying to figure out when I should purchase chicks. I've been looking through posts and it seems like 5 to 8 weeks is the general time frame for keeping them inside. So would it be practical to get them in mid Feb?
Also, it seems the hatchery minimum shipping is 15. (I am currently looking at cackle hatchery just because I'm trying to find some place close that has Black Australorp...I'm open to suggestions.) Anyway....whenever, wherever I get them.....I have a large garden style bathtub in our master bath that we don't use because we both prefer the shower. Would that be an appropriate size and place to keep 15 or so baby chicks for 5 to 8 weeks? We have grandchildren living with us and I want to be sure the chicks aren't played with.

So I guess this is three questions:
When to order?
Who to order from?
Will bathtub work for living arrangement until they are big enough to go outside?
I would sure think about buying them locally. Surely someone has Australorps in the area. That way you avoid the hideous shipping and the trauma on the chicks being shipped. You can almost afford to drive quite a way and still save money. Of course the down side is that unless you get a sex linked breed you won't have a guarantee of gender. Some breeders will take back the cockerels if you can't have (or don't want) them.

My first 8 came from My Pet Chicken. The 7 that arrived alive were all healthy and did fine, but the shipping was 3x the cost of the chicks. I could have gotten better stock, not hatchery stock, much cheaper that way.

I don't even want to think about 15 chickens in a bathtub at 8 weeks. Yikes. They are pretty big by then, and, well, it just boggles the mind. Remember an 8 week old chick is nearly full sized. And I can't over emphasize, they can fly. And poop. a lot.

I know you want to get started, but imho you would be better off waiting until the weather will allow you to get them out of the house at about 3-4 weeks. They are mostly fully feathered by that time and can handle lower temps at night. If you are concerned, you could get them a sweeter heater for their coop and hang it over or beside wherever they want to sleep. So back to purchase date. I would probably look at April. IN Kansas, May is usually pretty nice, and by the time they are 4 weeks old (trust me) you are going to be ready to get them out of the house. They will be able to get out of the tub by 3 weeks, so that might be a concern, too.

Chicken Danz has a number of breeds (her barred rocks are to die for) and her chicks are healthy and strong, HE Chicken has chicks sometimes, too, I think. And if you buy from someone on the list you can count on them being less stressed by travel.

Someone with chicks will chime in with information here, I imagine. I don't hatch unless my hen goes broody, so I don't have chicks to sell, but lots of people on the list do.

Thanks sharol, I appreciate all the info. Especially the advice on how long I do...and DO NOT... want chickens in my bathtub. LOL! I'd rather buy local but am certainly not finding anything online. Will try to wait patiently for some Consolidated Kansas chiming. Danz, will you have baby chicks? Anyone within an hour or so from Lawrence? I'm pretty sure we want buffs, australorps and maybe barred rocks.

Back
Top Bottom