Consolidated Kansas

Okay I cut and copied the list that I read on KingBees link and I read sharol's as well.
I'll try to do some editing and make a list. I have been out watering again and I need time to cool down anyway.

Corid.. coccidiosis I prefer the powdered over the liquid because it doesn't expire as fast and isn't as temperature sensitive. Cheaper too. I suggest repackaging it as soon as you open it in a well sealed container.
Tylan - treats respiratory problems (This was available but now in Kansas it is prescription only. Venders are allowed to sell left over old stock w/o a prescription, but if buying watch the expiration date.)
Pennicilin G. The most broad spectrum animal type of pennicilin available. Keep refrigerated
Dimothox. a broad spectrum sulfa drug
Metronidazole: prescription. Can be purchased as fish mox but pricy that way. Same thing as human Flagyl. A vet can write a prescription for it to be filled at your local drug store and actually save money over the vet supply price. This treats certain illnesses that strike and kill bird with a matter of 24-48 hours. Trichinosis which expresses as swollen sinuses, congestion, sneezing etc. Carried readily by wild birds. Called Canker in pigeons and doves. Also blackhead which affects turkeys and peafowl. Usually won't make chickens ill but deadly for other birds.
Baytril -Prescription and used in a last ditch effort when nothing else works or you have confirmed a deadly infection. Warning: this is one of the best antibiotics on the market but never use it without trying other things first. We are all responsible for not creating super bugs that are resistant to these better meds.
VetRX- Essential oils to combat congestion and viral colds
Oregano oil. Is a great topical antibiotic. Can be given orally for some things but ineffective on others.
Tea tree oil. Another great topical antibiotic. No internal use.
Lavender oil. Simply used as a calming agent.
Vitamin E oil. capsules... I usually buy 400 MG. An essential nutrient that can cause all sorts of neurological problems if it is deficient. Use directly in birds mouth suffering from injuries or other issues affecting the brain. Vitamin E is a wonder drug for birds.
Vitamin B complex. Helps with Niacin deficiency. Has a lot to do with muscle and joint maintenance.
Wormers: I don't think one alone is going to do the job. Reason being sometimes you may be treating for a different type of worm. For maintenance worming I recommend Safeguard goat drench and then the next time, Ivermectin injectable. If you find worms I suggest trying to treat with the most aggressive treatment for that type of worm. Valbazen, Panacur and maybe a few others will fall in that category. Things like Wazine work strictly on round worms which are the most common but you could be missing something else. I take an active approach and maintenance worm on a regular schedule, unless there are weather extremes or the bird is in poor health for some other reason.
Mite or lice treatment: My preference is Permethrin. Spray the birds, spray the coop and get in all the cracks. Repeat in 7 -10 days.
Sevin dust and pour-on Ivermectin. Not quite as thorough as Permethrin but easier to use.
Vetericyn Wound Care or eye care of any of the Vetericyns. Pricy but great stuff without a high chemical load.
Baby Aspirin - painkiller, in case of injuries I would never give aspirin to a chick. Note taken from the previous list.
For Pain killers St. John's wort works better than anything. Open a capsule and mix in water. The chickens seem to enjoy the flavor although it looks nasty. It works directly on their nervous system.
Blu-Kote - can be used to cover some injuries, or bare spots to prevent picking from other chickens
Pine Tar- Nasty smelly sticky stuff but is a great wound healer and prevents picking. Covers blood better than blue Kote
Rubbing Alcohol - Can be used to sterilize area if you need to inject anything, do some kind of surgery, etc.
Peroxide - Also sterilizing, can be used to clean INSIDE wounds as well
Neosporin - a safe ointment for poultry, can be used to prevent infections in wounds.(NOTE: Be sure to buy neosporin without the pain killer. This can also be used to treat eye injuries.
Vet wrap, general bandaging material.
Probioitic powder. I use one made for goats.
Some kind of lubricating jelly or body safe oil - Can to be used to feel for an egg blockage or help with a prolapse
Vitamins: Several choices here. Poultry Cell is the best I have found and seems more palatable to the chickens. They don't mind taking it. It offers probiotics as well as vitamins and other things necessary for an immune boost.
Vaseline - good for moistening skin or suffocating mites, either on feathers or on legs
Pedialite or other electrolyte replacement fluid
Apple Cider Vinegar - A natural worm preventative. (Not a proven theory but does create a healthy flora for their intestines. Avoid using in summer because it can cause deadly consequences if used in an over heated chicken.
Syringes - Different sizes help. Work with a variety of things, from drawing out fluid, to force feeding, to giving medicine
Eye droppers. Invaluable.
Scissors - Can trim feathers, dead tissue, etc
Blood-stopping powder (cornstarch works) - For stopping bleeding in SMALL wounds
Oxine. A wonderful disinfectant particularly when activated. Great for everything including washing eating eggs. I also love to use it for household cleaning. A little activated oxine goes a long long ways
Tektrol. The holy grail. Strong stuff. No better disinfectant around. A gallon will last months and months.
A heat pad.. for emergency treatment, to treat shock and to warm a cold bird.
A rectal thermometer. (102 to 106 is normal)
Some old towels you don't mind using on birds. I have a stock pile of them.
I am sure there's a lot more that I'm not thinking of. I could fill a drug store with my chicken meds.Obviously there are a few you probably should keep on hand but for a small flock it's just not practical to go out and spend hundreds on all this stuff.
Good health is the key to not needing these things. Even the best poultry keeper can't always control outside invasions of disease or medical problems. Also the more chickens you have the more chance you will encounter other illnesses.

Last edited:
I have questions about my Orpington chicks. Here goes (warning, there are lots of pictures) These are from Danz's English Orp eggs. They are 5 1/2 weeks old.

Chocolates:

This is the one in the rear in the next picture. I wanted a feather shot. This is also the best head shot of the single lavender that hatched (4 days ahead of the others) - again small comb and round body, hoping pullet.

These are the two of them together.

Another shot of the two of them with the White (she is next) and one of the Jubilees.

I am thinking I have one male (on the right/rear) and one female (on the left/front)? What do you all think?

The white orp in the preceeding picture is the only white to hatch.

These are the only 2 pictures that are clear of her. I'm thinking pullet -- round body, small light comb. What do you all think?

Next are the Jubilees.

Two are darker than the other 2. This is one of the darker ones.

And this one is lighter.

Here are two of them side by side with the BBS.

That is the only picture I got of the BBS. I'm convinced he is a cockerel.

The lavender and white are much larger than their siblings.

Any input on these babies is welcome. They are still with their moms and integrated into the flock completely except at night when they go back to the hoop to sleep.

I have questions about my Orpington chicks. Here goes (warning, there are lots of pictures) These are from Danz's English Orp eggs. They are 5 1/2 weeks old.

Chocolates:

This is the one in the rear in the next picture. I wanted a feather shot. This is also the best head shot of the single lavender that hatched (4 days ahead of the others) - again small comb and round body, hoping pullet.

These are the two of them together.

Darn Orps are a mess to sex. However many have a slow feathering gene which most often means cockerel. I'd say you have one of each. The baldy would be the cockerel of course. What little I can see of the lavender looks female.
Another shot of the two of them with the White (she is next) and one of the Jubilees.

I am thinking I have one male (on the right/rear) and one female (on the left/front)? What do you all think?
The jubilee in this picture looks female from her stance. I'm guessing the white is female too as in the whites they seem to develop the comb a little earlier than other colors. The white orp in the preceeding picture is the only white to hatch.

These are the only 2 pictures that are clear of her. I'm thinking pullet -- round body, small light comb. What do you all think?

Next are the Jubilees.

Two are darker than the other 2. This is one of the darker ones.

Usually the darker ones tend to be cockerel but in this case the top one looks more pullet and the bottom looks more cockerel.
And this one is lighter.

Here are two of them side by side with the BBS.

Left jubilee is a cockerl, BBS looks cokerel, right jubilee looks pullet. That is the only picture I got of the BBS. I'm convinced he is a cockerel.

The lavender and white are much larger than their siblings.

Any input on these babies is welcome. They are still with their moms and integrated into the flock completely except at night when they go back to the hoop to sleep.
Totally just going by what I see as far as body shape. I could be dead wrong.
I'm so very very exhausted. I don't know if it's the heat, the amount of birds I am caring for, or the amount of catching etc I am doing. I still have tons of birds to sell. I need to do a lot more sorting but I just can't seem to catch up. There are so many other things going on as well that I've had someplace I had to go nearly every day this week on top of that. I normally don't leave the house in weeks at a time.
I really would like to get out and sort some more birds today but I'm having trouble moving so far. Very very sore and stiff.
There was a very slight chance of showers last night and of course we got it. Not sure how much but it's pretty wet out there. I really didn't need rain right now. Other people might but I still have some water standing. At least the field got planted this week so maybe it will benefit from this. I wish I'd had gotten my roundup sprayed a little sooner and gotten the rest of the garden replanted. It's still working on some stubborn weeds. And of course I'll need to till it all again.
Thanks to all the bird activity I have again gotten nothing done with my iris bed. There is just no time to take care of things like that these days.
I think it's supposed to be cooler the next couple days and I'm sure that will help me get things done. With the heat I spend hours and hours just running water for the birds.
DH only has one day off and I am hoping we can get the wiring done on the fan motor today so I can keep the building comfortable. I know he has other things to do but it would sure make me feel a lot safer about keeping the birds from overheating out there.

Fecal float came back clean of any cocci or worm eggs, yay. I also checked the price of Baytril, 100 ml is $67.20 and the 250ml is 147.60. The larger bottle would not save you much money as it would probably outlast the expiration date.
I had done some work for a vet awhile back so I asked him where to get a poultry fecal float done when I was fighting cocci earlier this year. He said he'd be happy to do it. He enjoyed the diversion from dog/cat labs and did 6 or so of them - never charged me a cent. I thought it'd be hard to find someone to do it - a city vet who enjoyed it was more than I could have hoped for.

I truly believe that the most important tool in my med chest is the tube feeding equipment. Sick birds don't eat or drink and certainly will not take medications orally. However with a little practice you can deliver the emergency meds and fluids to save their lives. Here is a link with more information and videos to get you started.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Quote:
Thanks for the input, Danz. I may be getting better at guessing gender then. We will see on the Jubilees. It is always fun to play "guess the sex" with chickens, isn't it?

@chicken danz , I think our little PBR pullet has "wry neck." She seems to be doing okay as far as eating and drinking (except for sometimes missing the bowls when attempting), but we noticed something really interesting yesterday. She will tuck her head completely and run backward. Along with that symptom, she holds her head either down or sideways, and has awful balance. I looked up the symptoms in the forum, and they all pointed toward wry neck, so that's what we've been treating her for. I've been giving her a vitamin E capsule and selenium 2x/day. From what I read, it can take up to two weeks to see improvement, but the outcome is generally good.

@KsKingBee , the tube feeding thing is excellent information. I have always wondered how to give nourishment to a bird that refuses or cant eat and drink.

@chicken danz , I think our little PBR pullet has "wry neck." She seems to be doing okay as far as eating and drinking (except for sometimes missing the bowls when attempting), but we noticed something really interesting yesterday. She will tuck her head completely and run backward. Along with that symptom, she holds her head either down or sideways, and has awful balance. I looked up the symptoms in the forum, and they all pointed toward wry neck, so that's what we've been treating her for. I've been giving her a vitamin E capsule and selenium 2x/day. From what I read, it can take up to two weeks to see improvement, but the outcome is generally good.

@KsKingBee , the tube feeding thing is excellent information. I have always wondered how to give nourishment to a bird that refuses or cant eat and drink.
She was overheated which causes swelling on the brain. Wry neck isn't a disease....it's a symptom which is caused by neurological issues... either swelling on the brain, injury to the brain, or injury to the spinal cord. There are also certain diseases and vitamin dificiencies that can cause the same symptoms. What works for some issues won't necessarily work for others. Over heating often causes this symptom. The vitamin E is the right treatment. Selenium would only help if her "wry neck" was caused by a vitamin dificiency of selenium. If she were deficient so would all these other hundreds of birds around here. It won't hurt her.
I recommend the vitamin E, some type of electrolyte replacement such as pedialite or home made electrolyte, Some St. John's wort for discomfort. Giving her probitiotics would help her fight off any further problems. But yes it can take a couple weeks to recover. Keeping her free from stress will help the most.

I am cleaning chick bins today. It's such a time consuming job. I had four more peachicks hatch this morning and decided they should start out with a cleaner atmosphere. I have one more to go that has baby pheasants in it.
It sure is nice that it's a little cooler out today.

Hey everyone, the first hatch of Serama's wasn't good. We got 3 chicks out of 12 eggs. The next go round we got 5 chicks out of 8 eggs. I'm getting better. The first chicks are 6 weeks old. Can anyone tell hen or roo?

Can't see feathering clearly on them but number two is definitely a cockerel. One and three might be pullets. One looks like a girl but her comb and wattles are awfully large for one. Number three has a girly head but I can't see her feathers good enough. Looks like number three will have the best Serama shape. They should be shaped like a U when they are mature.
Another busy day today. We did get the big fan wired right and running in the building. It needs to be hard wired and put on a thermostat to save power but for now I'm happy. It could definitely save some lives in there if it gets super hot again.
Next step is to install an auto vent on the other side of the building. This will also operate on a thermostat. I have to do some major construction where it will go and it's going to be up high. Hopefully it will take a lot of hot air out of the higher points in the building. When I can afford them I want to put on a couple of storm doors so I can still keep a screen open and not let so many flies in. Of course when I get the pop doors done and the outside pens they will come in through the chicken doors.
Time to go catch some chickens that are gonna be giving their lives for someones dinner tonight.

Back
Top Bottom