Consolidated Kansas

It's definitely winter here today. Very cold and the north wind is blowing like crazy. Things that weren't frozen earlier this morning are now frozen and we are getting some freezing rain which is covering the limbs and stuff. I'm very worried about loosing power. The generator will only run the necessities in the house and won't help anything outdoors cause it's all wired from the pole. The tree limbs are leaning down and with this wind that is particularly bad.
I'm really afraid to even try to walk out to the building to care for the birds because it's so icy. I sure don't want to injure myself further at this point. We got nearly 3 inches of rain yesterday so now everything is a solid sheet of ice.
I can tell my pain index is way up there too. Everything hurts. How nice it would be to be young again!!!
Maybe I'll be Susie domestic today and try to convince DH to do the chores.
wink.png
I doubt he wants to be out in that stuff either!!

We could have an auction.....
They are almost to the point of being easily sexed. Right now I really think I have 3 pullets and 2 cockerels. Which would be wonderful for me or anyone who ends up buying them. I'd need a lot of money to make it worth my time selling them now and it seems like the market for them in KS is very small... I'm thinking about keeping them until by are 3-4 months and then selling a pair (if I have a pair to sell) to pay for the whole lot that I bought. Auctioning them now is a possibility but I'd have to set a reserve... But I'm not having my npip testing done until jan so I can't ship them out of state until then. So it goes haha. They look all black externally. But the insides of the mouths are not all black at this point. So they are still "project" stage in my mind. I wouldn't want to sell them for so much and have the buyer be unhappy and blame me. I'll try to get some pictures up.

I had a barred rock pullet that for some reason was being picked on. She had a bloody sore on her neck so I got her out of the coop and she healed uppretty good anyidea if and when she can be put back?

I had a barred rock pullet that for some reason was being picked on. She had a bloody sore on her neck so I got her out of the coop and she healed uppretty good anyidea if and when she can be put back?

Put her in a cage with the other birds. So they can see her and be around her. I like to give them at least a week, then I open the cage door. Normally they feel somewhat safe if you leave the cage in for another day or so.

The primary reasons for feather picking are protein intake, crowding and boredom.

How old are they? What is the protein content of their feed? What other things are they fed besides chicken feed?

I stood up too fast in the chicken run (the 5 year old one) and broke a head sized hole in my netting. The ice is 1/4" thick out there, and I suppose the netting itself is just brittle from age. Once this nasty ice melts off, I'll patch it for now and then I suppose there is replacement netting in the future. It is an odd shape with a tree in the middle, so that is NOT GOING TO BE FUN. If we are going to have to replace the netting, I'm going to try to talk my DH into moving one fence so that the run is a rectangle instead of a weird triangle. That would get a tree IN the run rather than next to it. Maybe invest in some different fencing, too. the dog panels are working great on the newer run, and the 6' height is much better than the 4' fencing we have now on the old one.

I had to pour hot water on the stepping stones at the door of the new coop because the ice was so thick the door no longer cleared them. Everyone was slipping and sliding down the ramp, too.

This stuff is awful. AT this point we still have electricity though it flickered a couple of times last night.

OK, I'm done with winter. Bring on the spring.

Back
Top Bottom