Consolidated Kansas

@HEChicken , the boys look like they are having a blast. My pig was really wanting attention today. He wanted scratched all over and kept blocking the way so I couldn't get to the gate. He was insisting on being scratch some more. He's been pretty ignored lately so I guess he was making up for lost time.
I got a load of really nice hay today. It wasn't cheap but it is prime quality and really heavy bales. It should last a while. DH stopped at my friends' house on the way back to see my heifer. He seemed pretty sad that she wasn't wanting to be real social. That will happen once I get her here. I plan to be a calf charmer.
I got a pop door made and installed in the building but didn't cut the hole to open it up yet. I went ahead and moved the Icelandics in there much to their dislike. I'm sure they'll appreciate it more this winter than they do now.

Hello

Are you in Wichita kansas? I am in urgent need to find assistance with 2 chickens.
I'm in a travel assignment at a local hospital, I could not leave my pets behind.
They are very miserable, in the small confined are.

I could rent a small area from you, or donate them.... there healthy 2 year old
A black Cochin and a barred rock. Blake and TR. the barren is a great insect hunter
Blackie is very docile and talkative.

Please let me know if you could help

Silvia H
[email protected]

I have an opportunity to get silkies or lavendee orps or both from Heartland Hatchery this weekend...thoughts? I'll be adding them to a flock of 3 buffs, 1 cuckoo maran and 2 EEs.

Hello

Are you in Wichita kansas? I am in urgent need to find assistance with 2 chickens.
I'm in a travel assignment at a local hospital, I could not leave my pets behind.
They are very miserable, in the small confined are.

I could rent a small area from you, or donate them.... there healthy 2 year old
A black Cochin and a barred rock. Blake and TR. the barren is a great insect hunter
Blackie is very docile and talkative.

Please let me know if you could help

Silvia H
[email protected]
I'm sorry about the predicament you are in. I would suggest joining the Kansas Poultry Swap group on Facebook - you will reach a broader audience of people in the Wichita area. I'm sure there would be many people willing to provide your hens with a home.

I have an opportunity to get silkies or lavendee orps or both from Heartland Hatchery this weekend...thoughts? I'll be adding them to a flock of 3 buffs, 1 cuckoo maran and 2 EEs.
I would get the corps. Silkies are a very docile breed and are bantams. They are easily bullied by larger, more dominant birds, so do better when they are penned with other silkies, rather than in a group setting.

I'm sorry about the predicament you are in.  I would suggest joining the Kansas Poultry Swap group on Facebook - you will reach a broader audience of people in the Wichita area.  I'm sure there would be many people willing to provide your hens with a home.

I would get the corps.  Silkies are a very docile breed and are bantams.  They are easily bullied by larger, more dominant birds, so do better when they are penned with other silkies, rather than in a group setting.

I wad leaning the same way. What about silver laced wyandotte?

I don't have much experience with Wyandottes. They are striking in appearance and are a large fowl so I would think they would fit in well to your flock, however I don't know how docile/dominant they are on that scale as I've never had them.

I don't have much experience with Wyandottes.  They are striking in appearance and are a large fowl so I would think they would fit in well to your flock, however I don't know how docile/dominant they are on that scale as I've never had them.
thanks! I'm really leaning towards getting a couple of lavender orpingtons.

Last edited:

Picked up Violet and Luna on Saturday. We just love them! Considering chocolate orps for spring. I just love my orpingtons!

Congratulations Mama. Orpingtons are great birds. The only Orps I've had were hatchery birds and they were fine, but if I ever get them again I will get some of the nice orpingtons that a couple of people in this group are raising.

It is so windy out there today and forecast to be a record breaker for the time of year - 93. I am not going to complain since I know in just a few weeks, the warm days will be nothing but a memory.

My pigs are enjoying being outside pigs. They sleep inside at night for their safety but are outside for the daylight hours and are happy doing pig stuff. They are so personable and come running to me when I go outside, just like a dog. I am getting such a kick out of them.

We had a butcher day yesterday so the chickens are benefitting today from some of the portions of the animal the people don't want. I'm giving them a day or two to clean it up and then I'll let the dogs have what is left. The dogs get a lot of their own meat as well so everyone benefits. Nothing leaves the farm so that is a good thing.

I am almost down to the animals we will over-winter and it does feel good to have downsized.

I have had a rough day today I had my first baby chick born yesterday afternoon. Today I found the poor thing dead. I must have over done it with the heat lamp. I'm so sad. It was gray and so cute. My kids are gonna be so bummed

Back
Top Bottom