Consolidated Kansas

Sharol the dosage for Safeguard and Ivermectin injectable is the same. 4cc per gallon of water for three days in a row. (change the water each day because the safeguard sinks to the bottom.) No other water for them. Alternatively you can give abut. .5 cc by mouth to each bird. That is a lot of work though.
Your Wyandottes look female to me. Mostly because most patterned birds don't show the pattern as well in males as they do in females. That being said the first individual one could be a cockerel because it either has poor patterning or it's lacing isn't clear. The problem with getting those heartland hatchery birds are that they are not bred for good traits. They are just bred. So it makes it harder to sex them than a bird bred to standard.
I am sorry but I can't imagine relocating a possum or any kind of predator. Possums will eat chickens and are very good at grabbing them and eating their insides out leaving only a rib cage. Any around here die immediately. The problem with relocation is that they reproduce and those offspring just move back in to kill your birds again. Even if I didn't have birds that ate ticks I would rather treat the dogs and cats for ticks than deal with predators.
Tori, the youngest Pyr as a matter of fact, found one out near the duck pen last night and alerted to it. The older dogs were out chasing other predators. It met an unfortunate fate with a bullet.

Sharol the dosage for Safeguard and Ivermectin injectable is the same. 4cc per gallon of water for three days in a row. (change the water each day because the safeguard sinks to the bottom.) No other water for them. Alternatively you can give abut. .5 cc by mouth to each bird. That is a lot of work though.
Your Wyandottes look female to me. Mostly because most patterned birds don't show the pattern as well in males as they do in females. That being said the first individual one could be a cockerel because it either has poor patterning or it's lacing isn't clear. The problem with getting those heartland hatchery birds are that they are not bred for good traits. They are just bred. So it makes it harder to sex them than a bird bred to standard.
I am sorry but I can't imagine relocating a possum or any kind of predator. Possums will eat chickens and are very good at grabbing them and eating their insides out leaving only a rib cage. Any around here die immediately. The problem with relocation is that they reproduce and those offspring just move back in to kill your birds again. Even if I didn't have birds that ate ticks I would rather treat the dogs and cats for ticks than deal with predators.
Tori, the youngest Pyr as a matter of fact, found one out near the duck pen last night and alerted to it. The older dogs were out chasing other predators. It met an unfortunate fate with a bullet.

I hear you on the possums. I had mixed feelings on the subject, but my DH was adamant that we relocate her (to an approved location with permission about 9miles away.)

Thanks for the info on the Safeguard. I found such mixed info on it that I didn't know what to believe. YOU I believe.

Glad to see you up and around. Are you finally starting to heal?

OK, I hit post reply and nothing seemed to happen, so this may duplicate.

No not really. Just getting by. I am still smitten with the hives and it's getting really old. It's really limited my ability to get back on my feet. I can't get out and get hot or I have a major break out. I can't get too tired or I have a major breakout etc. I get a new breakout every evening and every morning but I've noticed when I'm tired I break out worse. I may have injured my back a couple weekends ago by taking on too much to do. I have never been good at listening to doctors. I've had pain since then. I'm hoping it is an arthritis flare and nothing more.
At any rate I go back to the doctor next week and I am hoping I'll be released to drive then. Not that I go that much but I have started feeling like a prisoner of sorts here. Just not being able to get in the car and drive to town for things I need.
Thanks for trusting me, Sharol. That means a lot to me.
Speaking of which I think I can almost brag on my latest chicken medical success. We had owl issues around here. One of my young growouts was grabbed through the netting and it's head ripped off by an owl. He made the mistake of sitting on top of the coop instead of inside it. I did manage to get the sun netting put up after that so it couldn't happen again. Then the next night a buff laced brahma that DH had chosen young as his favorite girl, got attacked by an owl. Luckily her size must of kept the owl from carrying her off. She had a huge tear at the back of her neck and her abdomen was opened and cut almost removing one leg and thigh. Only because of her being a chicken DH liked... which is rare, did I treat her. She was in shock and almost gone when I noticed her laying in the yard the net day. I cleaned her up, treated her for shock, and started her on Baytril. I tried super gluing her injuries together. The neck injury although not perfect did close. But I checked her days later to find she had a high fever and her entire underside was opened again. I tried with the super glue again but there was just too much strain on that skin there. So I took a needle and thread and sewed her together. I had a couple stitches pull out but redid them then glued over them. I'm proud to say she finally quit running a fever and hopefully in just a few more days I can cut out her stitches. I want to be sure that the skin is all bonded before I take that step. She lost some weight but is eating and drinking good again. I let her and One Wing out in the garden weather permitting most days. Just a few more days and I think I can let her go back to the laying group. I just don't want a rooster tearing her up after all this.
The guinea who's broken leg and dead foot I amputated has been out and is doing well. He seems no worse for the wear. Just walks on the end of his bone/leg instead of his foot. He is still forming a final scab at the end but it seems to be healing nicely.

Wow! Dr. Danz! That's amazing. Sending good thoughts and healing vibes. I am sure this healing process is super old for you. I don't sit still well either.

Thank you all. I do try. This hen is very well behaved and quiet which really helps since she stays in the house when I don't put her in the garden. She has a cage but goes in it by herself. I swore I was not going to have any more birds or chicks in the house after I got them out before surgery. With the exception of One Wing and of course the Oriole. So far other than this hen I've kept it that way.
The Oriole has proven to be the messiest bird ever. (S)he throws the skins off of its fruit all over the place and some land feet from the cage. Then there are the seeds that somehow end up 6 feet out. It lives mostly on meal worms and fruit with concord grapes being it's favorite. Even though it's a full sized bird and a few months old now it still loves being fed baby bird feed with a dropper. When I let it out of the cage now and then it often snoops around then comes to hang out around me. It is mostly fascinated by sitting on my feet and picking at them with it's beak. Crazy little bird.

I think it's just all birds that are messy. We had a parakeet when I was growing up & my mom kept it's cage hanging in the utility room by the window. It threw seed all over the place even though she had a thing underneath it to try to catch it.

Hey everyone! Does anyone know of anyone who has crested cream legbar eggs, chicks, pullets? I am interested in adding to my flock.

Also, I have some Easter Eggers, from a hatchery, that are almost two years old and have not layed an egg in months! Is that normal?

Thanks,
Ricki

Back
Top Bottom