Consolidated Kansas

Hi!

I would like to try to hatch duck eggs i all ready have 5 duck on the farm but turns out that all of my ducks are males so i need more duck i really don't care what breed but i would love some bantam ducks like Call or Australilan spotted. does any one know a good breeder or something. i am located in eastern Kansas.
I've not been getting notifications of posts on Consolidated Kansas. I just happened to check.
Where are you located AmericanHank? I've got a ton of ducks and would be glad to help you out. The bantam ducks get really expensive as compared to the full sized ducks. I've got a bunch of Cayuga I really need to rehome. Way too many ducks. I have one pen of ducks hatched early fall that are full grown size now. Not sure how many males or females cause I haven't really paid attention. But I have a huge group that free range and I sold a bunch of drakes because there were just too many. The free rangers would have to be corralled and I'd need help to do that. But unless they are on the pond it's usually not too difficult.
I've got some East Indies and have some oversized ones. I'm trying to breed down in size on those. I think I have a person who intends to buy my bigger indies though if the weather ever gets better. At any rate, send me a pm and I'll be glad to discuss this with you.
@sloanbychoice and others talking about water freezing. One thing many of us used to do before we got heated water bowls was to make cookie tin heaters. If you can find clearance cookie tins it's a good time to purchase them. You simply rig up a light bulb in a cookie tin with a cord to plug in and set your waterer on top of that. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find some old tutorials on making them.
Another option which isn't quite as cheap but very good is to make a water bucket using horizontal nipples and drop a bucket heater in the bucket. Put a lid on it as well and the water will stay clean. This particular brand is the best I have found that doesn't use a lot of electricity. https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-produc...Eer4q3OwEi7xpLfdAzwdXTwRR7n5RJSBoCXhIQAvD_BwE
You can find the horizantal nipples about anywhere.

@chicken danz I didn’t realize you were in Kansas. That’s cool! I sometimes don’t get the CK notifications either. I had forgotten about this thread for quite a while once. Lol.
I like the light bulb idea.
Fortunately, we should be well above freezing for a spell now. And not a moment too soon. My goodness!

@chicken danz I didn’t realize you were in Kansas. That’s cool! I sometimes don’t get the CK notifications either. I had forgotten about this thread for quite a while once. Lol.
I like the light bulb idea.
Fortunately, we should be well above freezing for a spell now. And not a moment too soon. My goodness!
I remember you posting some time ago. We sure don't get the activity we used to. I for one just don't spend as much time on the computer. Seems I'm always busy working on something else. Or I'm just old and slow. I wouldn't count on it not freezing. We've probably got up to 3 more months of it. One thing about some of these projects to keep water from freezing is that you can always just plug it in when it's going to get colder. I'm very spoiled to thermostats myself! Too many pens to maintain all the time.

I've not been getting notifications of posts on Consolidated Kansas. I just happened to check.
Where are you located AmericanHank? I've got a ton of ducks and would be glad to help you out. The bantam ducks get really expensive as compared to the full sized ducks. I've got a bunch of Cayuga I really need to rehome. Way too many ducks. I have one pen of ducks hatched early fall that are full grown size now. Not sure how many males or females cause I haven't really paid attention. But I have a huge group that free range and I sold a bunch of drakes because there were just too many. The free rangers would have to be corralled and I'd need help to do that. But unless they are on the pond it's usually not too difficult.
I've got some East Indies and have some oversized ones. I'm trying to breed down in size on those. I think I have a person who intends to buy my bigger indies though if the weather ever gets better. At any rate, send me a pm and I'll be glad to discuss this with you.
@sloanbychoice and others talking about water freezing. One thing many of us used to do before we got heated water bowls was to make cookie tin heaters. If you can find clearance cookie tins it's a good time to purchase them. You simply rig up a light bulb in a cookie tin with a cord to plug in and set your waterer on top of that. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find some old tutorials on making them.
Another option which isn't quite as cheap but very good is to make a water bucket using horizontal nipples and drop a bucket heater in the bucket. Put a lid on it as well and the water will stay clean. This particular brand is the best I have found that doesn't use a lot of electricity. https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-perfect-bucket-heater/dp/190756?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12737201935&utm_content=K&H Pet Products&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiA0KmPBhBqEiwAJqKK44YWJrnTXDtCOyrSMJzzbiEer4q3OwEi7xpLfdAzwdXTwRR7n5RJSBoCXhIQAvD_BwE
KS. your ducks seem perfect for are flock but i kind of need female ducks! do you know if they are currantly laying?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option which isn't quite as cheap but very good is to make a water bucket using horizontal nipples and drop a bucket heater in the bucket. Put a lid on it as well and the water will stay clean. This particular brand is the best I have found that doesn't use a lot of electricity. https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-perfect-bucket-heater/dp/190756?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12737201935&utm_content=K&H Pet Products&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiA0KmPBhBqEiwAJqKK44YWJrnTXDtCOyrSMJzzbiEer4q3OwEi7xpLfdAzwdXTwRR7n5RJSBoCXhIQAvD_BwE
what did you mean by: send me a pm? and i will be glad to help corralled!!!

@chicken danz
For sure! I don't get on here near as much as I'd like. I'm always either working at my job, or working on pens.. lol.. Always working on the pens!!
It's supposed to hit 48 here today!! My ducks are super happy to be swimming today!
And my roosters are healing from frostbite. Glad to have a break!

This is a long shot, but here goes:

Does anyone have the top white plastic portion of a heated water heater, brand “Farm Innovators” (usually found at Orschlens or Tractor Supply)?
The base of ours works fine, but I did a dumb thing and tried to make it into a top fill…and you can comment all the things…sometimes learning by making mistakes is the best way to learn.
Anyway, now the water doesn’t hold because there isn’t a seal. Can’t find a replacement top for sale online so thought I would get lucky in someone’s pile of things no longer used. Let me know and we can work something out! I will be traveling to the southwest of Kansas in the next few weeks but live in the north east. image.jpg

the waters work on a vacuum. The only way to learn is to error now and then. Did you keep the top you cut out? If so get some water proof gorilla glue epoxy . And glue it back on. If you can't get it all sealed with no air leaks initially just glue, let it set then add more later until there is no more air leak. Here's a link to what I am talking about at Lowes.

Back
Top Bottom