Consolidated Kansas

Quote:
That is big. How far are you from me?

Less than 2 miles Mike, just east of town... Tossed a quail pen down for me too.... bout 450 lbs of pen on its side and birds dodge'in hail, stand'in around in water for a bit... seem ok thou.

73612_quail_pix_009.jpg

Last edited:
We were blessed that the bad weather went around us. Our daughter called from down the road encouraging us to come down and take shelter in their basement, but we watched the weather on TV and decided we would be okay. Only had a light wind all night and not a drop of rain. Glad to know that our BYC people are okay. Hope that same report continues to come in today.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

Last edited:
Everyone might want to check in on our neighbors thread... Joplin got hit hard tonight, last I heard 30+ confirmed dead and 100's missing! A hospital wa hit too... Their asking for doctors and nurses! Going to post there now!

The death toll is up to 89 the last I read. Unbelievable coverage on the weather channel. I watched a video and the weather man actually choked up talking about dead people laying in the streets and all the injured.

Okay, I think one of my hens has gone broody. She's not wanting to leave the nest and has tried to "peck my husband to death" (his words) when he gathered the eggs two days in a row. I've gotten the eggs from under her, just two each day and then nothing yesterday or today. I don't know what to expect or do about this. If I can get my ducks place outside situated soon I'd can fix her a place in my shop where the ducks are now, so she could be alone. I have no idea what to do. Do I give her some eggs to sit on? Yes, I have a roo. Should I candle them, and what do I look for. I haven't a clue. I'd love to experience one of my girls (she just over a yr old) hatching some chicks, although I don't really want/need anymore chickens. She'd have to be moved because I'd be scared for her to try and raise babies in the coop she's in with 24 other chickens. She's pretty much been in the one nest day and night (whenever I've checked), so I don't know if she's even gotten out to eat and drink? Well yesterday I took her out of the nest and set her on the coop floor. She puffs up full and runs around the run like she's running for her life, and running only makes some of the other girls chase her. Does broodiness cause them to stop laying? That doesn't make sense, cause I'd think she'd be saving up her own eggs to hatch. I was going to ask what if I just keep taking the eggs from under her, but she hasn't laid in a couple of days and NO other chicken is getting in that nest. I need help please!!

Quote:
In my opinion the weather man shouldn't have BEEN talking about dead people laying in the streets. He should be reporting the weather conditions and urging viewers to be taking shelter. He should be reporting in a way that helps/encourages his viewers to remain calm and do what they need to do to be safe, not panic. I'm not advocating that our media people should be unfeeling but some sure could cut the personal stuff and stick to the news at hand. They could get more news out in the five minutes between 15 minute commercial breaks.

Once a hen has her full clutch she will quit laying until after her chicks are born and independent or you remove them from her. You can add other eggs. Best way is to set them up next to her, toward the front of her and she will scoop them in with her wings and her breast if she wants them. She may not like where you move her. That is always a chance, but most likely if she is truely broody she will adapt to her new surroundings. When you move her provide her with a few eggs; preferably warm ones that someone just laid or was sitting on. Provide feed an water and leave her alone. She will come out and eat and drink when she needs to. Maybe only once a day or once every couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom