Consolidated Kansas

Quote:
CarolAnn, We let a broody hen sit, hatch and raise chicks this February/March in a coop with 30 others. It went fine. She tended to them until just last week which was 9 weeks after they hatched. She still keeps a protective eye on them, but no longer roosts with them at night. She was a great mother. The best thing to me is that I didn't have to worry about medicated feed, no pasty bottom, and they are integrated into the hierarchy of the flock I was nervous about them after they hatched, but she is a high ranking hen in the flock, and our alpha roo was very protective of her and the chicks. DH also enlarged their nesting box a bit and built special ramps. We put food and water in the nesting box. After a week, she started taking them out (also remember it was still cold here). The boys and I would just go down a few times a day and show the chicks how to get up the ramps. Great experience. I wish I could have a broody to hatch all the time!

Myabcs3, I just feel that since my coop is a little over full right now and the girls have been pecking on each other during winter it might not be a good surroundings for hatching and raising chicks. My hubby thinks I'm being silly, although he isn't saying exactly that. He's giving me the "way back in the beginning of chicken life they lived together and in the wild without people mothers to protect them..." speech. Mostly, I guess I'm worried about the other chickens hurting them. That and the nest she's settled in is one of the top nests and babies would fall out for sure. ~sigh~

Quote:
Did you freeze that one? Wow. Im just sad for all the Joplin people-I have several friends down there and they are fine but they are telling me details, I just cant believe they didnt get a good enough warning like we did for the big tornado that came through here and only 2 important lifes were lost

Quote:
I get that - I'm at max capacity right now and wouldn't be able to take on any more. What about letting her hatch 2-4 eggs and raise them up to POL and then sell the pullets? POL pullets usually go very quickly as a lot of people don't want the hassle of raising chicks.

I personally believe that hens do better when they are broody if they are undisturbed. It doesn't take much room for one hen to hatch some eggs. Tell the hubby that long ago when chickens ran wild and hatched babies that they weren't crowded. They could move wherever they wanted. Even today if they are free range all the time they find a nice secluded place to lay.

Last edited:
CarolAnn,

totally understand about room in the coop! But, it is a very neat experience!
big_smile.png

Hatched out 22 ducklings a week ago yesterday. Posting here for anyone that is close and wants any. Rouens/Mallards/and mixed breed.
Please pm if interested. I have to get them out of the brooder before they eat me out of house and home.

Finally got the automatic chicken door done. Just hooked up to a lamp timer for now, but should work just fine. I used a power supply, relay, lamp timer, and a satellite dish aiming motor from eBay. I had everything but the motor, which cost me $40 shipped. It is pretty slow but is much better than drapery motors, drills with spools of string, and automatic car lock solenoids that just drop the door on your birds. The door also cannot be opened manually by anything that can't hold a pry bar or a wrench.

Picture of the controller below. To see the motor and door open and close you'll have to suffer through this video. CLICK CLICK CLICK!

DSCN2909.jpg

Back
Top Bottom