Consolidated Kansas

YIKES! I was just about to say that Kansaseq!! Danz- I will check with DH but you may want to make her vomit. Aspirin is safe for dogs but they should have given you some pain medication for her to go home on.

Chicken Danz,
Here is the formula for Ibuprofen toxicity

Take Marshmallow's weight in lbs and divide that by 2.2 This will give you her weight in kgs.

To find out how many mg per kg of ibuprofen she ingested:
Take the total mg given and divide that by her weight in kg (mg / kg = mg per kg)

For Ibuprofen in dogs, it takes 100mg per kg to see GI signs (vomiting, diarrhea)
at 300mg per kg, to see signs of kidney damage

Not trying to scare you, but we see ibuprofen toxicities at work frequently. Hopefully she didn't get enough to cause a problem.

Josie, aspirin can be safe for dogs, but it inhibits clotting. Using that after a major surgery would probably not be a good idea for Marshmallow. It wouldn't be my first choice, anyway. I'm suprised they didn't send home some kind of pain medication.

Last edited:
Ok, just called DH (who is a small animal vet) He said if you only gave one ibuprofen it is probably going to be ok because she is such a large dog. It is very important to not give her any more ibuprofen at all or any other non steroidal anti-inflammatories.

SO no more pain meds this weekend of any kind for Marshmallow. The half life of ibuprofen in the dog is upwards of 72 hours so the bigger problem with it is that people redose like they would in a human and the dog does not metabolize and clear ibuprofen like us. Because of that it also isn't safe to give her any other type of pain medication.

Kansaseq- Are you a vet technician? I worked as a vet assistant for several years and a dog groomer for even more!

Josie, yea, I'm a tech at a large clinic up in OP. Where does your DH work? Isn't it a small, small world?
smile.png

Oh, and I also used to work as a dog groomer (in another lifetime!). Talk about a hard, hard job!!

And before all of that, I did a brief stint cleaning stalls, turning out, etc, at my old horse's barn.

Have also worked at a shelter, bakery, grocery store, yogurt shop, human hospital, and of course, several animal hospitals over the years.Been at my current place for the past 11. Geez. I feel old!

Last edited:
I am sure that is what this vet said to do. She said if she needed pain meds I could call for them but if I didn't want to drive over I could give her ibuprofen. Anyway, DA that I am it was acetominophen ,not ibuprofen. She weighs about 36 kgs. I only gave her maybe .4 mg of it. Not much. She ate a huge dinner and seems fine and it's been quite a while now.
So Lindsey, how long before she could have pain meds if she needs them? I mean the right kind?? What kind of meds do they use for pain in dogs? She said she couldn't have any steroids for at least a week cause it would slow healing.

Danz, I hope Marshmallow is doing OK, she will be much better tomorrow I'll bet. Dogs get over major surgeries much quicker than us humans. When I had my little Yorkie spayed she just ran around like nothing happened to her, but Bella, the Maltese/Shih Tzu mix was another story. I couldn't get her to get up & walk for about 2 days. She would walk a few steps & plop down. They didn't give me anything for her for pain either & the Vet was a 45 minute drive away. I don't have any extra eggs to give that silly hen to hatch, if I had as many as you have I could probably do that, but I just get enough for us & a few dozen to sell to offset a little of the feed. I will have a few more this fall when my new hens start laying, but then I'm going to get rid of the free-loaders too that aren't laying that well. I can't afford to feed hens that don't lay. I know some people keep chickens for pets, but while I do like my chickens a lot I don't consider them pets. They're here to lay eggs & breed for chick raising purposes. Danz, I looked over the information in NPIP today & I couldn't see anywhere in there that it said that after your birds were tested that you had to buy only from NPIP breeders. It also doesn't say that you have to be NPIP for just selling chicks or eggs locally. It did say that if you show anywhere or ship out of state that you needed NPIP certrification, but that was all. I also saw that you can find the test online & submit it if you want to become a tester. I wonder why they started selling such large bottles of the antigen, I noticed that they used to sell one with only 100 doses & now it's 1000. That makes it hard for those that just want to test their own birds, it seems like they're really not encouraging people to have the testing done by doing that & letting the drug company have a monopoly so they can charge whatever they want.

I'm so tired, I sure hope my DH sleeps tonight because I'm getting tired of getting woke up all the time with his coughing. I know he is tired of it too, but I just don't function well without sleep & I didn't lay down at all today & I should have. I just feel so much worse when I don't get a good night's sleep, I just feel physically ill.

Well, my DH and I just got back from "coon hunting" in our yard. We've been seeing a pretty big coon eating our mulberries at the edge of our yard, not far from my duck house. I saw the coon for the first time (not just a moving shadow) the same night I put the ducks out for the first time. That was a little unnerving! However, after almost an hour of searching the trees tonight, we finally got him. That makes me feel better, at least until another one comes to take his place...

Danz, I hope Marshmallow recovers quickly!

I'm off to bed! Have a good night all!

Danz- Phew! Acetominophen would be ok, ibuprofen is not good. Acetominophen is not very effective in dogs but at least every 8 hours and DH said you could do a whole pill for such a big dog. It would be best to get pain meds from the vet because they are safe and designed to be more effective in dogs than human medications. If you could manage to get over to them it would be best to get something from them. She will need pain meds for at least 3-4 days. Molly was on pain meds for over a week. Pain medication reduces risk of complications from a dog that is in pain and more likely to bother an incision that hurts.

I have a bottle of metacam that you can have if you want it. It is expired but I just used some the other day and it is fine. It will work much better for her and be much more effective. We are probably going to go down to Pomme on the Range for some blueberries tomorrow. Maybe we could meet you at the Waverly exit? That would save you from driving too far. The exit is only 15 minutes past the orchard. Send me a PM with a time that works for you if you want it.
wink.png

I am sure that is what this vet said to do. She said if she needed pain meds I could call for them but if I didn't want to drive over I could give her ibuprofen. Anyway, DA that I am it was acetominophen ,not ibuprofen. She weighs about 36 kgs. I only gave her maybe .4 mg of it. Not much. She ate a huge dinner and seems fine and it's been quite a while now.
So Lindsey, how long before she could have pain meds if she needs them? I mean the right kind?? What kind of meds do they use for pain in dogs? She said she couldn't have any steroids for at least a week cause it would slow healing.

Danz, I can believe your vet told you to give the acetominophen. On occasion, we will get a client in who's given acetominophen (Tylenol) at the advice of their vet. In one of the drug books, there actually is a dose for dogs , and the safety margin is a bit wider (150-600 mg/kg for hepatic damage). But Joise has such a good point in that the drugs you can get from your vet are SO much safer . It sounds like the dose you gave Marshmallow is very low and not enough to cause any problems. And it's very sweet of her to offer up her Metacam
smile.png
I'd take her up on it.
You guys are so awesome!!

Last edited:
I asked about pain meds but she said she didn't think I would need them and offered the info about the ibuprofen and calling if she needed it. I am sure she said ibuprofen. Maybe she just wasn't thinking.
Sent you a PM Josie.
Trish, we aren't talking law here we are talking about what you learn. If you test your flock and you bring in any more stock from the outside that stock needs to come from an NPIP safe flock. If you buy eggs from an infected flock and one of those birds happens to live old enough to breed, it will pass it down to offspring. It is egg transmitted. You could in a short time infect your whole flock.Only a percentage of chicks infected with it die but they still carry the disease. That is why to have a certified flock you are required to test all birds over 4 months old and retest every bird once a year. If you buy eggs from a non NPIP breeder the potential is always there to infect your birds. By law, any time you sell hatching eggs or chicks at a swap or in the mail you are required to have a tested flock. Anytime you get an older bird you need to assure that bird has been tested and all chicks or hatching eggs come from a tested flock. I still have lots of serum. I could sell you a hundred dose bottle from mine if you can find a qualified tester to do it for you.
I don't think they are trying to discourage people from testing. The company that makes the serum sells it and only sells in the 1000 dose bottles. Some states, like Oklahoma divide the serum and sell to qualified testers. I imagine by the time you pay the fee and buy the serum the small flock owner won't do it themselves. I can see that would reduce a lot of fraud. In fact I was told it looks better if you know another tester and you test each others flocks.
It's not as cut and dried as it looks on line. There's a lot that needs to be learned to really know what you are doing and a lot of unanswered questions. They do have classes at K state that you can go through in person.
DH let Marshmallow out to go pee and she took off with Fluff. So I am up out of bed at 3:30 am waiting for them to come back so I can pen her back up. Grrrr

Back
Top Bottom