Consolidated Kansas

Oh my! Trish you are having the worst time with those legbar eggs.I put another big bin in here for the new poults and moved the older ones into the hallway. They are all screaming like I've murdered them. I guess they feel they've been taken away from home. I am going to have to move them back in here even though there's no room to move because they are giving me a headache. They can sound so shrill when they get upset! They just have to be where they can see me I guess.
Yep that worked. I just scooted the bin in here and now they are perfectly quiet. Crazy birds. I want to move them outside as soon as it is a little cooler but I'll bet they yell when I do that too. I was just talking to DH about what to use for them for a shelter.
It's too hot to be working in the trailer and getting that ready.
Prairie, I'd go ahead and check those eggs and see if they are viable or not. You might want to get them under another broodie if they are.
I've had some eggs I know started to develop in the heat without the mother sitting. The problem is that it often makes for weaker chicks cause they aren't getting turned regularly.

Sorry to hear that Trish. I'll growl at the Post Office with you. This is not the time of year to loose live shipments!

So, if ya'll will remember my sadness about my kitty - We had her put to sleep this afternoon. She got better for a couple weeks, but the past couple days went down hill really fast. She could no longer control her bladder or bowels and was just deficating in her bed. It kills me to have a pet put to sleep, but I know it was the right thing to do and she's in a much better place over the rainbow bridge. 14 years of a great life and many adventures. She'll be missed, that's for sure.

I am so sorry, Tweety. I know that has to be very hard. I spend a moment every day worrying I'll loose one of my old cats. I find myself wishing at times they would pass so I wouldn't have to deal with cat boxes and cat hair in the house but it would be the equivalent of loosing a precious family member. I can only imagine your sorrow.

Tweety- I am so sorry for your loss, they are truly loved members of the family.
hugs.gif

Danz,
She is still off the eggs and sitting outside of her nest box with the two babies. What I can't figure out is that the eggs were in the house and it was fairly cool in here with the AC on before I set them under her.

Guess I will go out and see if the other broody will accept them.

thanks
Prairie, I'd go ahead and check those eggs and see if they are viable or not. You might want to get them under another broodie if they are.
I've had some eggs I know started to develop in the heat without the mother sitting. The problem is that it often makes for weaker chicks cause they aren't getting turned regularly.

I

tweety, sorry to hear about your cat, it's so hard when you have them so long. We've got one that has trouble breathing & I don't think she'll be around much longer. It always kills me too to have to make such a hard decision, they're part of your family.

I got those little misters in the mail today, they're curly ones that you wind around something. I took one out this afternoon & hooked it on the hose & put it in the chick pen where I've been putting the bigger one & it works even better than the other one. I got 3 of them on eBay so that if one got clogged or something I would have backups.

I just talked to a guy who is going to sell me two peaflowl chicks, yay! Now my little baby will have company. They're about a month old, so they'll be ahead of this one I have for awhile, but he or she will catch up. I'm so thrilled to find some & for a price I can afford. Now all I have to do is get transport for them to get them to me or close by anyway. Then I can surprise my DH with his peafowl. He has no idea I have been trying to hatch any, none. He doesn't know one egg from another. Those little peafowl chicks are just adorable. Josie, if you hatch some you'll see what I mean. The one I have is so cuddly, I just want to pick it up all the time.

Thanks all for the well wishes. Yes, HeChicken - it's very hard to make the decision. My DH kept asking me if I was sure and I knew that I'd bet go along with what my heart was telling me to do before I backed out again. You could just see it in her eyes that it was time. It killed me that she purred and rubbed all over me the whole way to the vet. The vet was very kind, never asked any questions (he could immediately see her condition) and just did what he had to do, leaving us as much time as we wanted with her. Even though we aren't supposed to - we brought her home and buried her in the back yard. I've buried all my pets in my own yard and just couldn't imagine leaving her for "disposal". It will be different when Fritz, my old man dog, goes since he's 100+lbs, but for a 8lb cat - we were able to take care of it.

What kind of misters did you get Trish? I've been googling for several, in case our local stores don't have any, and tons of them have horrible reviews - so I'd like to find one that someone is actually using and works. Did get a HUGE kick out of this one review for a mister system I saw on Amazon. The review said " The mister works well. However it gets my patio all wet and you will get wet if you're anywhere near it."
roll.png
Ummm.. isn't that the idea? LOL

Also - If anyone has friends on Colorado - a friend on facebook posted this urgent message - please pass it along
EMERGENCY!!! wE ARE NEEDING ANYONE WHO IS ABLE TO TAKE LIVESTOCK THAT ARE DISPLACED FROM THE DEBEQUE FIRE FOR A FEW DAY!! IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WHO MAY BE HAVE LAND, OR OTHER AREAS TO HELP PLEASE CALL MYSELF, (970-234-5966), OR THE SHERRIFF POSSE BY CONTACTING THE SHERRIFFS OFFICE, OR ANNISSA MIRACLE 970-210-1411. THIS IS NEEDED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

HEchicken- I am so sorry about your kitty too! I don't know how I missed that...
hugs.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
That is too funny!

SO here is a weird one for you guys! My pea eggs came this morning and they were in shredded paper and wrapped in bubble wrap like most shipped eggies arrive but, wait for it, they were also wrapped in tin foil!
hu.gif
Is that to protect them from the x ray machine???? They looked like baked potatoes!

Back
Top Bottom