Constant Intestinal Lining shedding normal ?

BeakyBlinders

Chirping
Oct 28, 2019
Worcestershire, UK
All, I wonder if anyone can help?
I have a 26 week old New Hampshire Red called Boo (bought at 18 weeks), not yet laying due to daylight length, who regularly passes what looks like orangey intestinal lining. This is virtually in every poo to some extent. The odd occasional wet dropping, but mainly nice firm poo with this orangey red stringy goo in it. Nothing in the ceacal poop though.
Now when I first noticed, I reached immediately for the Coxoid and gave the whole gang a good 7 days, with an extra 3 days for Boo for extra measure. No change.
I then sent off a feacal sample to a lab which came back below 50 eggs per count, no sign of worms or cocciodosis (could they be wrong?). We are now 3 weeks since I first noticed it, each day I get more intestinal lining in the poop. In herself she is absolutely fine, running around as bright as beans, first to the food (quite greedy), follows me happily round the garden, nice healthy weight, crop, and eyes....feathers good apart from a bit of moulting, normal at this time of year. No mucky butt.
Has anyone had the same from a young pullet? Do I redo Coxoid treatment or was the labs egg count wrong...or is something else going on here?
Never had this before from any hens.....thanks!

I think after the round of Corid and the negative fecal test you can rule out coccidiosis.

I had had a hen with intense shed intestinal lining two years ago. It was in every poop, very hard to dismiss. I concluded that she probably had a mild bacterial infection that was responsible for inflaming the tissue so I gave her a week of penicillin. That seemed to clear it up, and she's been fine ever since.

Ah thank you.....thats reassuring to know that....just everything you read points to 'cocciodosis' ...but she just seems so well and happy!
I'll start her on some anti bacterial meds asap and see how she goes. Thanks for your advice !

All, I wonder if anyone can help?
I have a 26 week old New Hampshire Red called Boo (bought at 18 weeks), not yet laying due to daylight length, who regularly passes what looks like orangey intestinal lining. This is virtually in every poo to some extent. The odd occasional wet dropping, but mainly nice firm poo with this orangey red stringy goo in it. Nothing in the ceacal poop though.
Now when I first noticed, I reached immediately for the Coxoid and gave the whole gang a good 7 days, with an extra 3 days for Boo for extra measure. No change.
I then sent off a feacal sample to a lab which came back below 50 eggs per count, no sign of worms or cocciodosis (could they be wrong?). We are now 3 weeks since I first noticed it, each day I get more intestinal lining in the poop. In herself she is absolutely fine, running around as bright as beans, first to the food (quite greedy), follows me happily round the garden, nice healthy weight, crop, and eyes....feathers good apart from a bit of moulting, normal at this time of year. No mucky butt.
Has anyone had the same from a young pullet? Do I redo Coxoid treatment or was the labs egg count wrong...or is something else going on here?
Never had this before from any hens.....thanks!
Can you post some photos?

As attached, but like I said, Chook is absolutely fine, has had Coxoid (no change) and labatory egg count showed negative for worms or cocci...very odd...this is from overnight under her spot on the perch...lots of nice poo as well!

Attachments

• BA93C562-BE95-4143-8B11-7C50CA375F8D.jpeg
    BA93C562-BE95-4143-8B11-7C50CA375F8D.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 25
  • D3788FD9-A4B1-462C-842F-96994FFD3742.jpeg
    D3788FD9-A4B1-462C-842F-96994FFD3742.jpeg
    796.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 4B283F37-E783-415C-9229-AC33F235CE16.jpeg
    4B283F37-E783-415C-9229-AC33F235CE16.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 24
There are 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. Most of them can successfully be treated with amprolium aka coxoid because they are protozoa. There are a couple strains that are bacteria and require an antibiotic, preferably a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine.
Most of our sulfa drugs here in our country are off limits due governmental regulations. Hopefully you can acquire a sulfa drug in your country to treat your bird if an antibiotic such as penicillin is unsuccessful as mentioned by azygous.
The only other thing I know that can cause continual shedding of intestinal lining are capillary worms. Yet the tests were negative. I'd do as @azygous suggests and start with an antibiotic first. Give it time to work, then let us know what happens after about 2 weeks.

Ok,so quick update. I didn’t want to start such a young chick on harsh anti biotics straight away as have had issues with this causing secondary problems like sour crop in the past (baytril only option from our vets) and as she had just come off coxoid and was really very well in herself, decided to try organic anti bios for a few days to see if it helped. So i mixed some layers mash with a healthy dose of dried oregano, cinnamon and a couple of crushed garlic cloves. She (and the others!) wolfed this down. Did this twice day one (morning and evening) and next day significantly reduced gooey red mucus poo. Did same next day and day 2 poo check NO red mucus stuff at all. So now on day 3 of mix and absolutely no sign of anything...now I don’t know if it’s a co incidence or result of above, but I’m so pleased not to have pumped her full of meds. Going to keep this up for a week to be sure...just got a bunch of fresh oregano out of garden so going to chop that up as snacks too. Happy days ✊

Those are good natural antibiotics, and you were wise to try them in this type of possible infection. You would have found out pretty quickly if they weren't going to work. Glad the chick is better.

I would feed an all flock feed, though, not layer, until after they are laying.

Back
Top Bottom