Constant pasty butt!

Gerty0630

Songster
Jan 15, 2019
SE, Michigan
How do I manage a chicken who constantly has poop all over her butt?! I’ve washed it off many many times but she seems to just build it back up again. Is there some magical trick or solution? The only thing I can think of is trimming her feathers back but what happens when they grow back.. I just have to constantly trim and wash this hen’s rear end?!

What breed?
How old is she?
What do you feed her?
Coop size and pictures may help.
Year old cream legbar. Dumor layer feed and all day forage. Coop is quite large for my flock of 8.. and lime and then straw for bedding. I’ll have to take some pictures

Ive had one or two like that, they got regular baths and butt cuts. If you can’t find or fix the cause, you do have to keep it clean because dirty bums invite flystrike in the summer (that’s when flies lay eggs and the larvae burrow in causing injury, sepsis and eventually death - not a good way to go!) BTDT
I’ve washed her bum about 3x in the past month. Every time I look out afterwards another buildup is starting! None of the other flock members have it so I doubt it’s any kind of a parasite issue. I use lime in the coop before bedding. I keep everything pretty clean. No thank you fly strike lol

Where does she sleep? I did notice that one of mine with a consistently dirty bum slept on the floor, for reasons of her own I guess.
If you’re feeling really adventurous you could also lube up her backside a bit after the haircut with some vaseline to help the nuggets come off

Back
Top Bottom