Constant wheezing sound coming from Cochin hen

Cinnamon11

Songster
May 18, 2020
California
My Blue Cochin hen who is turning 1 at the end of may has been making a wheezing sound every time she breaths. Is this a health problem? Will she be ok?

How is your hen doing?
There are more than several issues that can cause wheezing in birds. Crop issues, respiratory infections, upper respiratory blockages (stridor), reproductive issues are just a few to mention; each has its own prognosis. A sudden onset in wheezing, with a lack of other symptoms, will most often be due to inhalation of feed mater, or debris into the airways - this will often resolve itself with time.
If you provide details about the hen such as any physical findings, and a video of the hen wheezing that may help narrow down what might be the problem.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

How is your hen doing?
There are more than several issues that can cause wheezing in birds. Crop issues, respiratory infections, upper respiratory blockages (stridor), reproductive issues are just a few to mention; each has its own prognosis. A sudden onset in wheezing, with a lack of other symptoms, will most often be due to inhalation of feed mater, or debris into the airways - this will often resolve itself with time.
If you provide details about the hen such as any physical findings, and a video of the hen wheezing that may help narrow down what might be the problem.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry
She’s doing well but still wheezing. She seems very healthy and has a good comb and no symptoms of any disease. But constantly wheezes especially after she’s ran or gotten picked up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 6
My Blue Cochin hen who is turning 1 at the end of may has been making a wheezing sound every time she breaths. Is this a health problem? Will she be ok?

I have a Cochin that does this periodically. It seems to be triggered by excessive moisture (when it rains a lot so stuff doesn't have time to dry out) or if I let the coop go a bit too long between cleanings. She's always fine after a day of isolation and some electrolyte/cooked egg while I deal with the moisture/cleaning situation. It doesn't happen as often now since I figured out what was causing it though.

I have a Cochin that does this periodically. It seems to be triggered by excessive moisture (when it rains a lot so stuff doesn't have time to dry out) or if I let the coop go a bit too long between cleanings. She's always fine after a day of isolation and some electrolyte/cooked egg while I deal with the moisture/cleaning situation. It doesn't happen as often now since I figured out what was causing it though.
Ok thank you!

Ok I did notice something very off this afternoon with her. There are two soft shelled eggs from her ( the other hens laid today so it is the Cochin) and she went back in the nesting box and is half closing her eyes and panting like a dog! When she breaths her whole body moves. There is lots of food and water available and it’s only 66 today.

Attachments

• B8C25E3C-7647-4791-9107-91592F2541F0.jpeg
    B8C25E3C-7647-4791-9107-91592F2541F0.jpeg
    998.9 KB · Views: 6
  • A31A4E0F-D4F3-47F5-8CF4-245B3426A920.jpeg
    A31A4E0F-D4F3-47F5-8CF4-245B3426A920.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom